C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget C5Z TT Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Twin Turbo C5Z Build - Comp 62s - Forged LS2 - e85

Built a few TT trans ams in the past. Figured it was time to move to a different platform. Found an awesome deal I couldn't pass up on a '03 C5 Z. Bone stock. Drove it 2 weeks, and decided to start my build.

Turbo setup:
twin billet comp triplex ceramic ball bearing 6267s T4 .68 AR
tial knockoff 44mm gates
tial knockoff 50mm bovs
ebay LSx up and forward headers
cxracing cast T4 flanges
cxracing intercooler - 24"x13"x3.5"
3" downpipes to the cradle for now, then going to build full exhaust out the back.

Engine:
Forged LS2
Stock polished crank
Callies rods
Wiseco pistons
1/2" head studs
Trickflow as cast 220 heads with brian tooley hand porting
Brian Tooley stage 3 turbo cam
LS9 head gaskets
morel link bar lifters

Fuel system:
my custom 17 gallon fuel cell
Magnafuel 4303
black nylon -8 feed -8 return
all black fittings
aeromotive regulator
80lb injectors
e85

drivetrain:
MGW shifter
stock T56
stock rear
LS7 clutch
(all

ebay aluminum stock replacement radiator
stock fans
AC delete (could have made it work if I redid the lines but didn't want to hassle with it).
Keeping heat.
ABS delete
Power steering delete

Shooting for 750-800 wheel on e85 till I can afford larger injectors.

Building and tuning it myself in my garage. Got a lot of the kit setup, need the charge pipes, and down pipes done. The ebay up and forward headers fit perfect. Driver's side required a little massaging to clear the brake booster, but overall really happy with them. Going to need to relocate the alternator somewhere, haven't figured that out yet.

Will keep updates coming as I get to work on it more. May be able to make 2K, but not making any promises

Name:  Y2KwPYr.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  179.2 KB

Last edited by westtexasbuff; 08-17-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 PM
C.Lunn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My buddy tagged me in your picture on facebook. Couldn't comment . Should be fun though.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Good luck on a c5 TT budget build.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:31 PM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert miller
Good luck on a c5 TT budget build.
I sense sarcasm but not sure why... I have 14k into the build including the cost of the car, and I don't have anything else to buy except material for the downpipes.

I'm building everything myself and tuning it as well, so maybe that's where your confusion lies. It's not expensive to build a turbo kit when you do it all from scratch yourself instead of having someone else build it for you.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:51 PM
cmiller8006
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not think 80's and the 340's are going to get it done for 800 whp. I am going through an auto and figured I need at least 118 lb injectors for E85, most likely going 160's and also have an aeromotive eliminator in tank set up that will only make it to about 950 on E per aeromotive. Them mani's are sweet tho, would love to have my turbo's up top like that. Good luck
Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
I sense sarcasm but not sure why... I have 14k into the build including the cost of the car, and I don't have anything else to buy except material for the downpipes.

I'm building everything myself and tuning it as well, so maybe that's where your confusion lies. It's not expensive to build a turbo kit when you do it all from scratch yourself instead of having someone else build it for you.
Buddy didnt mean nothing bad at all in the statement. Just these are bad cars, if you put big are good size RWHP in them every part around it will start breaking on a man. I dont see the 80-lb inj working on the e85 at that level.

Trans am rear end cheap to a vette rear end cost to hold power, trans cheap also to a trans that goes into a vette.

Car looks great man for the $$ you have in it.

Last edited by robert miller; 01-29-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Looking good. A few Q's...

Any more build pictures?
Did you build the collector to T4 flange?
Where are the wastegates going to be?
Are you relocating the ECBM?
Gravity drain?

Keep the updates rolling.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

The expense to do things on one's own is different, not necessarily cheaper.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I like it. Keep posting pictures please
Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JoeyG
Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

I am with him pic,s as you go on it man..
Old 01-30-2015, 07:46 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Everyone here loves these "DIY" type builds!
Looking forwards to pics.....
Old 01-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Built a few TT trans ams in the past. Figured it was time to move to a different platform. Found an awesome deal I couldn't pass up on a '03 C5 Z. Bone stock. Drove it 2 weeks, and decided to start my build.

Turbo setup:
twin billet comp triplex ceramic ball bearing 6767s T4 .68 AR
tial knockoff 44mm gates
tial knockoff 50mm bovs
ebay LSx up and forward headers
cxracing cast T4 flanges
cxracing intercooler - 24"x13"x3.5"
3.5" downpipes to the cradle for now, then going to build full exhaust out the back.

Engine:
stock bottom
ebay head studs
LS9 gaskets
stock 243 heads
BTR turbo cam
BTR .660 lift springs

Fuel system:
my custom dual in tank aeromotive stealth 340s
black nylon -8 feed -8 return
all black fittings
aeromotive regulator
80lb injectors
e85

drivetrain:
MGW shifter
stock T56
stock rear
LS7 clutch

ebay aluminum stock replacement radiator
stock fans
AC delete (could have made it work if I redid the lines but didn't want to hassle with it).
Keeping heat.
ABS delete
Power steering delete

Shooting for 750-800 wheel on e85. Hoping the motor can live a while at this power level till I can afford a built motor for it.

Building and tuning it myself in my garage. Got a lot of the kit setup, need the charge pipes, and down pipes done. The ebay up and forward headers fit perfect. Driver's side required a little massaging to clear the brake booster, but overall really happy with them. Going to need to relocate the alternator somewhere, haven't figured that out yet.

Will keep updates coming as I get to work on it more. May be able to make 2K, but not making any promises

very nice work! considering the cost of a kit you are WAY cheaper and this looks really good

where did you get the 90 deg elbows welded onto the headers?

keep up the good work. for a budget short block build you might consider what I did

got a free 4.8 short block. bought some decent lunati rods and 4.0 crank brand new for 1100

wiseco pistons 3.84 bore (80 over) 250 almost new pistons

I have about 2k into a build that will take up to 1k hp pretty easy

I went with the fic 127 bosch injectors that should take me to about 900 or so on E85

If you already have the injectors and don't want to spring for bigger consider direct port meth to cover the fueling shortfall

very nice work!
The following users liked this post:
BABYBUGY (06-07-2019)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:47 PM
cmiller8006
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

by time he would do the meth kit he could get the 127 lb bosch's for a few hundred more. Meth is not worth it on E85 what so ever.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:09 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, if you're only 14k in so far for what you have you got one hell of a deal on that car

No A/C, No PS, No ABS... race car

Cool looking build. Sub'd for more pics as you go along as well. Looks like the cast stainless CX-racing T4 elbows welded directly on collector instead of v-band connection?

Can't tell if there is any bracing yet or will be for the turbos. In any event, the stock rubber motor mounts are ****. I would go solid or poly or the engine is going to torque over hard in the bay.

I wouldn't count on that LS7 clutch holding your immediate power goals though. Anticipate a clutch swap soon unless you turn the boost down to let it live a while. Since you said you've done some similar work on F bodies, i'm sure you know this.

PS. I've got a set of bosch racing 127's i'm looking to get rid of if you're interested
Old 01-30-2015, 05:40 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Cool build...looking forward to the end result.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 PM
boostedcatfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really good looking build, cant wait to see more. KEEP IT up sir! lol

Get notified of new replies

To Budget C5Z TT Build

Old 01-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a nice looking build
I do have to agree that 80lb injectors will never work with that power and E85. I have larger than that with close power and 93.
Also don't think that stock block is going to last long with 800rwhp. Ive seen them go with 550-600. At least it is Z06 stuff.
Like they said, keep posting photos and updates.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 AM
westtexasbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
I do not think 80's and the 340's are going to get it done for 800 whp. I am going through an auto and figured I need at least 118 lb injectors for E85, most likely going 160's and also have an aeromotive eliminator in tank set up that will only make it to about 950 on E per aeromotive. Them mani's are sweet tho, would love to have my turbo's up top like that. Good luck
It was mainly just a goal, I'll be happy with wherever I'm at if it's 700 that'd be great. This is just so I can get it on the road

Originally Posted by robert miller
Buddy didnt mean nothing bad at all in the statement. Just these are bad cars, if you put big are good size RWHP in them every part around it will start breaking on a man. I dont see the 80-lb inj working on the e85 at that level.

Trans am rear end cheap to a vette rear end cost to hold power, trans cheap also to a trans that goes into a vette.

Car looks great man for the $$ you have in it.
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Looking good. A few Q's...

Any more build pictures?
Did you build the collector to T4 flange?
Where are the wastegates going to be?
Are you relocating the ECBM?
Gravity drain?

Keep the updates rolling.
More pics posted below. Collector/T4 flange is a cxracing knockoff of the Nelson billet flanges, they are cast. Really nice pieces. Wastegates will be welded to them. Gravity drain.

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
very nice work! considering the cost of a kit you are WAY cheaper and this looks really good

where did you get the 90 deg elbows welded onto the headers?

keep up the good work. for a budget short block build you might consider what I did

got a free 4.8 short block. bought some decent lunati rods and 4.0 crank brand new for 1100

wiseco pistons 3.84 bore (80 over) 250 almost new pistons

I have about 2k into a build that will take up to 1k hp pretty easy

I went with the fic 127 bosch injectors that should take me to about 900 or so on E85

If you already have the injectors and don't want to spring for bigger consider direct port meth to cover the fueling shortfall

very nice work!
I already had the 80s from a previous build so I'm just using them now to see how far I can push them. I know they will probably max somewhere around my goal, after that I'm upgrading to custom fuel cell, magnafuel 4303, and ID2000s.

Originally Posted by JDS99
Wow, if you're only 14k in so far for what you have you got one hell of a deal on that car

No A/C, No PS, No ABS... race car

Cool looking build. Sub'd for more pics as you go along as well. Looks like the cast stainless CX-racing T4 elbows welded directly on collector instead of v-band connection?

Can't tell if there is any bracing yet or will be for the turbos. In any event, the stock rubber motor mounts are ****. I would go solid or poly or the engine is going to torque over hard in the bay.

I wouldn't count on that LS7 clutch holding your immediate power goals though. Anticipate a clutch swap soon unless you turn the boost down to let it live a while. Since you said you've done some similar work on F bodies, i'm sure you know this.

PS. I've got a set of bosch racing 127's i'm looking to get rid of if you're interested
I'm upgrading to poly motor mounts. Yep they are cxracing collector I will be upgrading to a RPS triple after the LS7 goes. I'm just trying to get it on the road and see how far I can push it on these parts.

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
That is a nice looking build
I do have to agree that 80lb injectors will never work with that power and E85. I have larger than that with close power and 93.
Also don't think that stock block is going to last long with 800rwhp. Ive seen them go with 550-600. At least it is Z06 stuff.
Like they said, keep posting photos and updates.
Seen lots of stock bottoms above that power level. E85 will help. Thanks

No updates so far, but looking to finish the kit this week if time permits. Here's some more pics as requested... Thinking I may have to go with an electric waterpump, and relocate the alternator to lower passenger side (alternator being the only accessory). If not, it'd be a tight fit to try to get the downpipe in with the tensioner in the way.

Name:  keLxqpK.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  482.3 KB

Name:  qMpcxY1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  219.3 KB

Name:  3400aKt.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  456.8 KB

Name:  fg4IBt4.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  455.6 KB