C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

direct meth injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default direct meth injection

I'd like to do port meth injection instead of the dual nozzles in the up pipe for better distribution.

I'm a bit afraid of tapping the stock intake and drilling it and considering after market intakes that would be like a hogans or wilsons without the sky high price. looking to pay 800 or less

any recommendations? I'm also looking to stay under the hood on a c5 stinger hood.

I've looked at the polished low profile stock ls6 style but I'm interested in alternatives.

tia for any advice!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Someone else I am sure will chime in but I have had hogan manifolds in the past and they are a work of art. I have never seen a custom intake manifold for around that price but then again I have never looked that close just went with what I knew. I am curious to see what is out there as well.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:00 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Fast, Cheap, Reliable....Pick any 2, because 3 ain't gonna happen.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56

Fast, Cheap, Reliable....Pick any 2, because 3 ain't gonna happen.
I was told that years ago by a friend of mine when I broke a valve guide. And had some valvetrain issues on my 05 Gto that was h/c/I. I went expensive and good quality and never looked back. Have the same advice to my brother a couple years back he went cheap and regrets it because it caused so many damn headaches. You have to pay to play!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Nitrous Express & Snow Performance
Supporting Vendor

Nitrous Express & Snow Performance's Avatar

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I can get you setup with a direct port meth setup. We tap and drill stock intakes all the time.
Check out this C7 with Direct port meth/nitrous.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-methanol.html

PM me if interested and want a price.
Billy
Old 07-05-2015, 05:14 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
I can get you setup with a direct port meth setup. We tap and drill stock intakes all the time.
Check out this C7 with Direct port meth/nitrous.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-methanol.html

PM me if interested and want a price.
Billy
I've thought of this a LOT, using my progressive system to go through direct port jets.

Here are some thoughts and arguments that I've had with myself over various ideas on meth injection systems.

I've seen so many arguments over using water over meth with comments like "water has infinite octane" and "water removes more latent heat than methanol".
While that may be true, there are two major considerations for those statements, the first being that for octane to be a consideration for me, it needs to be able to burn. Granite may have infinite octane too, but I won't be spraying it in my motor.
The second major consideration for removing heat is that it needs time to change phase because without changing phases, it doesn't remove any heat. Direct port injection takes away a lot of that time, but it does solve the issue of equal distribution. With ample time to change phase, you don't have to worry about distribution. Once it's a gas, it is distributed as equally as the air. For these reasons, I considered not only doing a direct port system, but a system with a few stages. One before the blower, one after, but pre intercooler, one post intercooler and one direct port. The stages wouldn't have to be high volume or anything. The only drawback to doing all these stages pre-throttle-body is that if anything ever ignited that mixture, you would have quite a show on your hands.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I never have understood the mystery behind direct port methanol injection and why no one has had success with it. There are cars that run straight methanol with carburetors and even racers that run fuel injectors using 100% meth. Why can't it work in a direct port application?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
I never have understood the mystery behind direct port methanol injection and why no one has had success with it. There are cars that run straight methanol with carburetors and even racers that run fuel injectors using 100% meth. Why can't it work in a direct port application?

it does. no big mystery. hell I ran a flying toilet mechanical injetion system and it works just fine.

mr lee put one on his blower car and saw the egt variance go from 300 deg to less than 100 without tuning the specific jets

the meth doesn't like the ls6 style intake under more heavy injection as distribution isn't all that great

direct port fixes that. I found a low provile alum intake with bosses cast in that looks perfect for my needs and it's polished for a bit of bling and comes with fuel rails.

I also saw some great deals on mini ram intakes but I'm not as confident in the quality.

like to use braided lines and setup the jets to even out the EGTs

should work just fine. monitoring and tuning I think will be the key
Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Direct port meth should work fine, the only downsides I see to it are:

1) Mix time with the air charge and meth are minimal when injecting the meth straight into the port, so you may not get as much reduction in charge temps.

2) In conjunction with #1, spraying the meth in down stream from the IAT sensor isn't going to "show" the reduced IATs to the PCM, (sense the sensor isn't getting sprayed with meth) therefore it's still going to see higher IATs and likely reduce timing, thus killing power that it doesn't need to.

Just my thoughts as an amateur.

There is a local guy down here with a C7, maxed P1SC that supposedly makes 900rwhp and it has the NX direct port meth on it. I looked at the meth kit and it is a pretty trick piece. This guy beats on this car pretty good, 900rwhp (if you can believe it) on the stock LT4 (well, H/C/E) and it's staying together.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Default direct port meth

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Direct port meth should work fine, the only downsides I see to it are:

1) Mix time with the air charge and meth are minimal when injecting the meth straight into the port, so you may not get as much reduction in charge temps.

2) In conjunction with #1, spraying the meth in down stream from the IAT sensor isn't going to "show" the reduced IATs to the PCM, (sense the sensor isn't getting sprayed with meth) therefore it's still going to see higher IATs and likely reduce timing, thus killing power that it doesn't need to.

Just my thoughts as an amateur.

There is a local guy down here with a C7, maxed P1SC that supposedly makes 900rwhp and it has the NX direct port meth on it. I looked at the meth kit and it is a pretty trick piece. This guy beats on this car pretty good, 900rwhp (if you can believe it) on the stock LT4 (well, H/C/E) and it's staying together.
very good points! it might be worth it to keep a pair of nozzles with small jets "up front on the down pipe" just to keep the IAT sensor involved.

for sure direct port reduces the cyl to cyl EGT variations and as Kenny D. put's it. give each cyl what it wants and needs to balance A/F ratios and EGTs and you'll have a smoother more durable engine.

makes sense to me, now I need to sell something so I can afford that haltech S2000 install!!! thinking about uprading to the latest version if I can afford it as it has new traction control and drive by wire that seem to be a great way to go on an over powered street beast.

with the fancy Haltech controlling the pump (with a high amp driver box that I already have) I can also bump timing up anytime I'm spraying meth.

I'm looking to potentially have a "heavy meth dependent tune" as the Haltech will have the control nannies to chop the boost and pull timing anytime the EGTS or A/F ratio get too far out of whack"

like to install all this "stuff" at the same time and include it in the tuning to make sure I get it right the first time. Mr. Lee has done some of the hard work and R&D on high HP blown cars and proved it's worth to me.

I'm going to price out the NX and the ECS solutions and see how they stack up. I was good friends with old John S. (RIP). That guy was indeed a crazy genius and alot of fun to hang out with. He had some pretty cool ZR-1s on the jug which has always been tempting, but I'll stick with boost over "chemical boost" as I'm a turbo fiend.

the traction control and boost by speed properly blended should improve consistency of ETs of a turbo car at the track too! from my experience racing turbo buicks, they were easy to make fast, but hard to run the number consistently as the air changes, HP varies quite a bit!

Last edited by Rkreigh; 07-06-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

We done several direct port kits on custom builds, the distribution is much better. We do not sell-make-or offer these for sale, but you can use this picture as something to work off of.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That looks like something NASA would build, lol.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Nitrous Express & Snow Performance
Supporting Vendor

Nitrous Express & Snow Performance's Avatar

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Something to drool over
Direct port Meth and Nitrous
Old 07-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

All this talk about direct meth injection, EGT's, even distribution, aftermarket ECU's and so on makes me wonder why engines break...

...isn't it all about the tune? :-)

I'll get me coat.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
All this talk about direct meth injection, EGT's, even distribution, aftermarket ECU's and so on makes me wonder why engines break...

...isn't it all about the tune? :-)

I'll get me coat.

Fast Show - I'll Get Me Coat - YouTube
precisely! giving the engine exactly what it needs and the right octane and A/F, EGT per cyl, and getting the tune "spot on" is what I'm after.

even the best build will break in short order if the tune isn't right.

and the aftermarket stuff has some nice processing speed and "alert driven" safety nannies to hopefully catch problems before the damage is too severe.

I'm not pushing the LS architecture all that hard, but I'd like to do it once and not have to do it over for a while!

Get notified of new replies

To direct meth injection

Quick Reply: direct meth injection