C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt slip

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 02:23 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Belt slip

Alright so I am going crazy at this point with belt slip. I put a cam in my car and did a 10% overdrive crank pulley but still running off the 6 rib serpentine belt and it slipped like crazy. I figured it's time for a flip drive with an 8 rib belt, so I ordered one and put it on. I thought this is the end of my belt slip issues and I was wrong.. It slips just as bad before, I am at a loss I have tightened the belt like I am suppose too. I currently have just the micro v gates belt on it from Napa I am wondering if a fleet runner belt would help? Any other thoughts? I am going crazy because I can't think of anything else.

Setup
ECS 1500
3.47 upper pulley
10%OD innovator west pulley
ECS flip drive 8 rib

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Ls2gtoowner; 06-06-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:11 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Just so you know, the Napa heavy duty belts are identical to the Gates "green" HD belts. So make sure they gave you the HD belt. Ive been where you are buddy so I know how it is.

Before I had a V2 vortech kit from A&A so similar to your 1500. Had a 3.4 pulley, stock dia crank, made 700rwhp. No belt slip with the green HD Gates belt. Recently went with a Ysi, A&A bracket, 8 rib, 10% od crank pulley and their flip drive. No slip at 18psi.

Last edited by C5Natie; 06-06-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Just so you know, the Napa heavy duty belts are identical to the Gates "green" HD belts. So make sure they gave you the HD belt. Ive been where you are buddy so I know how it is.

Before I had a V2 vortech kit from A&A so similar to your 1500. Had a 3.4 pulley, stock dia crank, made 700rwhp. No belt slip with the green HD Gates belt. Recently went with a Ysi, A&A bracket, 8 rib, 10% od crank pulley and their flip drive. No slip at 18psi.
I don't think mine is the HD belt it's just a regular belt, the "fleet runner" it's a green back belt and it's made by gates but you buy it from Napa. I can't even get past 10psi anymore it's driving me insane. I will switch my belts to an HD belt and see what happens. I appreciate the heads up and if anyone else has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it I am trying to get the belt slip handled so the car can go back on the dyno and dial my tune in some more.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes the HD Gates is the green one and Napa's HD belt is the same identical one. Last time I bought the Napa belt and it was literally a green Gates belt with a Napa box around it
Old 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Yes the HD Gates is the green one and Napa's HD belt is the same identical one. Last time I bought the Napa belt and it was literally a green Gates belt with a Napa box around it
Ya that's what I thought lol well it says in smaller lettering right on the Napa belt "gates" hahah no one cares them in stock I ordered one this morning. So we will see if that fixes my issue. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The belt length is probably off. If it's tight it might be too short and not getting you enough wrap around the pulley. The HD belt won't help, that's a common misconception that needs to die already. The HD belt is stronger, but it also is less flexible so that's the opposite of what you want.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Milan
The belt length is probably off. If it's tight it might be too short and not getting you enough wrap around the pulley. The HD belt won't help, that's a common misconception that needs to die already. The HD belt is stronger, but it also is less flexible so that's the opposite of what you want.
The belt is snug with the tensioner and and then I use the J bracket and make it tight i didn't realize a belt could be too short. I figured if it gets on there snugly it's fine.

If an Hd belt is less flexible under load it won't flex as much as a regular one so won't it potentially not slip or not slip as much?? I am not questioning you just a thought lol
Old 06-06-2016, 03:39 PM
StuntHeavy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Out of curiosity, how tight, is tight?
Old 06-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StuntHeavy
Out of curiosity, how tight, is tight?
Is there a specific measurement you would like me to take? I have done cog setups for years on dragsters but this is when the motor is cool it's just got a very small amount of play up and down. I can take a video tonight if you would like. I am just trying to get this issue resolved I am tired of screwing with it.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:05 PM
StuntHeavy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am just thinking out loud. You probably know your system better than I do. Just throwing ideas out.

Boost comes up then drops off to 10, or never peaks above it, ever? What rpm does the car first build 10psi at? And what happens when you exceed this rpm?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

boost leak?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:48 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

If you can, post up a picture of the tensioner by the balancer as it sits now with the belt on it.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StuntHeavy
I am just thinking out loud. You probably know your system better than I do. Just throwing ideas out.

Boost comes up then drops off to 10, or never peaks above it, ever? What rpm does the car first build 10psi at? And what happens when you exceed this rpm?
I haven't really looked to closely of the boost it builds at what rpm I can hear the belt squealing and I can see rubber under my hood from my belt slipping.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by a/c man
boost leak?
No, I can see rubber under the hood and hear the belt squealing like a pig lol

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
If you can, post up a picture of the tensioner by the balancer as it sits now with the belt on it.
Doug, I spoke to Alex earlier today after I posted this thread to ask him we came up with a few ideas I am going to check the tensioner again and report back with info to you guys. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:04 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

did you laser align the pulleys when you set it all up? I had belt issues and once I bought the Gates laser tool and followed Bret's directions on calibration and then had the pulleys laser aligned perfectly, car was much much improved.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:34 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neverstop
did you laser align the pulleys when you set it all up? I had belt issues and once I bought the Gates laser tool and followed Bret's directions on calibration and then had the pulleys laser aligned perfectly, car was much much improved.
The pulleys have been laser aligned. That was one of the first things I checked.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

You gotta have the wrong belt length. I have the Procharger bracket and tensioner ( which is not the best) with flip drive and OD balancer running all 6 rib and have 15psi with no slip.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt slip

Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
You gotta have the wrong belt length. I have the Procharger bracket and tensioner ( which is not the best) with flip drive and OD balancer running all 6 rib and have 15psi with no slip.
Hey buddy, I haven't seen you post in a while. I think I have it figured out I spoke to Chris at Ecs and he led me in the right direction so I think I am good. I will post back when I get a chance to work on the car.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:13 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What symptoms are you seeing?
Old 06-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schpenxel
What symptoms are you seeing?
I can hear the belt squeal at higher Rpms I can watch my boost gauge drop boost and I can see rubber under my hood from where the belt has been doing a "burnout" lol

Quick Reply: Belt slip