C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt alignment question

Old 07-08-2016, 01:20 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Belt alignment question

Long story short I had a belt shred Friday night and I ordered a gates laser alignment tool to see where I was at and instead of the laser sitting on the "ridge" on the crank pulley it is sitting in the "valley" it's off obviously and don't know if that is enough to shred a belt. Should I put a spacers behind the pulley or have brackets made that are a tad shorter for the blower itself?

Here is what it did to the belt Friday cruising about 45 mph

Here is my finding:

This is where I put the gates belt alignment tool it's on the left side of the pulley.

Here is the mark it made on the crank pulley (2 pics of the same thing one zoomed in one not)

The gates alignment tool in the center of the supercharger pulley.

Again the crank pulley with two pics.

So my question is is this off enough to have belt issues like shredding a belt. After first start up every now and again I would have the belt in the back pop in out out of the groove on the crank pulley but it would do it for about 30 seconds and stop and never did it consistently so I know it's off and that isn't right so also wondering if that's the belt alignment.

The setup
8 rib flip drive
ECS upper blower pulley
innovator 10% OD crank pulley

I want to enjoy my car so any and all the help you can offer I will take haha. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:27 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls2gtoowner
Long story short I had a belt shred Friday night and I ordered a gates laser alignment tool to see where I was at and instead of the laser sitting on the "ridge" on the crank pulley it is sitting in the "valley" it's off obviously and don't know if that is enough to shred a belt. Should I put a spacers behind the pulley or have brackets made that are a tad shorter for the blower itself?

Here is what it did to the belt Friday cruising about 45 mph

Here is my finding:

This is where I put the gates belt alignment tool it's on the left side of the pulley.

Here is the mark it made on the crank pulley (2 pics of the same thing one zoomed in one not)

The gates alignment tool in the center of the supercharger pulley.

Again the crank pulley with two pics.

So my question is is this off enough to have belt issues like shredding a belt. After first start up every now and again I would have the belt in the back pop in out out of the groove on the crank pulley but it would do it for about 30 seconds and stop and never did it consistently so I know it's off and that isn't right so also wondering if that's the belt alignment.

The setup
8 rib flip drive
ECS upper blower pulley
innovator 10% OD crank pulley

I want to enjoy my car so any and all the help you can offer I will take haha. Thanks.
Call ECS, they know how to fix it. I believe it's a common setup problem with ECS. Google it there's plenty of threads about how to fix this problem. All it is is an alignment issue.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:45 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you have a lower tensioner? That was the issue with my friends C6 ECS kit. It came loose
Old 07-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by helga203
Call ECS, they know how to fix it. I believe it's a common setup problem with ECS. Google it there's plenty of threads about how to fix this problem. All it is is an alignment issue.
I know it's an alignment issue I already sent them an email with the exact same pics. I am wondering if this is enough off to cause and issue and shred a belt.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
Do you have a lower tensioner? That was the issue with my friends C6 ECS kit. It came loose
It's a brand new tensioner and it is tight my other thought is the J bracket pulley got bent some way some how.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

looks a half rib off to me, a small shim behind the blower pulley will probably fix that
Old 07-08-2016, 12:25 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

be sure to calibrate the laser tool using the instructions on the sticky from brettblowblue, my laser tool was way out of alignment when I got it

and yes, my setup never threw the belt but being 1/2 a rib off can cause all sorts of issues
Old 07-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neutron82
looks a half rib off to me, a small shim behind the blower pulley will probably fix that
Ya it's a half rub off for sure just didn't know if it would cause issues. I will get a shim any idea how thick of a shim I need?

Originally Posted by neverstop
be sure to calibrate the laser tool using the instructions on the sticky from brettblowblue, my laser tool was way out of alignment when I got it

and yes, my setup never threw the belt but being 1/2 a rib off can cause all sorts of issues
Ya I calibrated it according to Brett's sticky and mine actually wasn't far off at all.

Thank you! I am glad to hear that a half rib off can cause all sorts of issues I hope that is mine.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:06 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I think a half rib is .0625"... I'd probably start off with one around .050" thick and see where that gets you
Old 07-08-2016, 03:58 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,081 Likes on 655 Posts

The problem is rarely in the spacer behind the HU pulley since that is a constant unless the WP was changed and that is off. Give us a call to discuss, it's much easier.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
The problem is rarely in the spacer behind the HU pulley since that is a constant unless the WP was changed and that is off. Give us a call to discuss, it's much easier.
Doug I tried to contact you guys. I will send you a pm with my number.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:47 PM
willig72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Belt issue

Yes these pulleys not being aligned will shred your belt. The high peaks of the pulley are constantly trying to cut into the high peak of the belt. The high peaks of the pulley are suppose to align with the low valleys of the belt. Also did you remember to align your tool? If you have any questions you can find a detailed "sticky" explaining how to check the tool alignment thanks to (Brett) BLOWNBLUEZ06
Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

So after a ton of stuff and numerous emails back and forth to Ecs and phone calls and so on they/we think they have the issue pinpointed to a few different things. HUGE shout to them for going the extra mile they have a c5 there right now and did a ton of measurements on the car they have there to see what my problem is. Anyway they are sending the parts free of charge and because the weekend is coming up they are sending the parts 2 day so I will have them before the weekend. I couldn't ask for anything better!! I really hope all this fixes my problem but if it doesn't I know for a fact they will make it right just like they have proven so far. I cant speak for the other supercharger companies but I know for a fact these guys are killer and have taken care of me with whatever I have needed.

Thanks again Chris, Erik and Doug!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:39 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Good Deal Man!

Get notified of new replies

To Belt alignment question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belt alignment question