C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Equal length TT exhaust manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:46 PM
WhiteVette007
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equal length TT exhaust manifolds?

Anybody here running them? I'm gonna be using Holset HX40 turbos. I don't mind having a pair of manifolds welded up but if somebody knows of a company that already built them, that would be great. I haven't had any luck searching Google so far.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

those are some big turbos, probably have to go top mount and use the PTK style or upp sytle fender well mount.

not aware of anyone who has true equal length unless you go top mount. the ptk sytle could be made equal length but honestly on a turbo application I'm not sure it would gain much or be worth the $$ and hassle.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
WhiteVette007
Cruising

Lmao damn I just checked their website and they want wayyy too much money. I'm very familiar with designing a TT V8 system and IMO they're a rip off. Thank you for the advice though. I really didn't know the market for turbo exhaust manifolds was that horrible for the C5.

The hx40 are medium sized IMO. They would sit in front of the engine but not as close as the PTK setup I saw. My c5 has no AC and I'm removing the PS before the headers get built. Battery will be in the trunk and windshield res will be ditched. Also getting a different front bumper, one that will let in more air.

If I'm building turbo manifolds they might as well be equal length. There really isn't much to it. I could just buy those lame turbo manifolds from eBay for $150 and modify them a bit, but where's the fun in that.

Last edited by WhiteVette007; 02-13-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:50 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

I really dig the UPP top mount stuff and they have a c5 solution

I bought a c5 ttix setup which has proven to work really well but if you are concerned about 500 manifolds no offense you are either very talented or in the wrong wheel house.

the best way to get into a c5 tt is to buy them DONE Many have come on the market at bargain prices and even if you need to do a bit of work to them to get them up to spiff, you are paying pennies on the dollars for the mods

ya pays ya money and takes your chances. No offense and good luck. Fabbing up the manifolds with some nice u bends or those nice little stainless schedule L elbows is tedious work and takes some skill. The space is very tight.

I think Huron and UPP have some really nice setups with lots of options, but if you have the time and resources you can certainly make your own. You might be able to pick up some "base stuff" that you can modify as there are tons of LS generic kits.

Keep us posted and have at it!!

Last edited by Rkreigh; 02-14-2017 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CK@UPPCOS (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 03:38 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
if you are concerned about 500 manifolds no offense you are either very talented or in the wrong wheel house.

My cost on raw materials, true cnc flanges, and quality components/labor for the manifolds is over $500......
Old 02-14-2017, 07:39 PM
WhiteVette007
Cruising

If you are concerned about 500 manifolds no offense you are either very talented or in the wrong wheel house.

the best way to get into a c5 tt is to buy them DONE.
I was obviously referring to PTK $3000 kit that DIDNT INCLUDE turbos or intercooler.. $500 isn't ****. I own a corvette, not a Honda. Your opinion is to just buy them, but I know better manifolds can be built for under $1000 and I don't care about shiny SS. Mild is steel will work just as good.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:42 PM
WhiteVette007
Cruising

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
post a pic of your engine bay..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:32 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Call me a skeptic, but I have yet to be convinced of any real benifit for equal length turbo headers on anything less than all all out race engine.
To me, flow would be the more important factor; with the back pressures involved i think you would be hard pressed to see any scavenging effect. Which again to me, seems superfluous with boost.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
Call me a skeptic, but I have yet to be convinced of any real benifit for equal length turbo headers on anything less than all all out race engine.
To me, flow would be the more important factor; with the back pressures involved i think you would be hard pressed to see any scavenging effect. Which again to me, seems superfluous with boost.
Correct. Equal length headers on a single turbo setup that's twin scroll will make a slight advantage (hence the rage in the subie world), but overall it doesn't make a big difference. Especially in twin setups like we're using with un divided standard t3/4 setups.....

But it sounds impressive doesn't it? "Equal length"......
Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
OK...you're a skeptic.

But a correct skeptic.

There are very few V8's that mere mortals will be driving where it is worth the effort of equal length, unless of course it is installed in a vehicle where it is very easy to do that.

Clearly a Vette is not one of those. Get over it. People have made enough power on cast truck logs to blow most engines to pieces.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:57 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

But Stevie....you're missing the point! It sounds cool to say it!!!

Last edited by CK@UPPCOS; 02-15-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteVette007
I was obviously referring to PTK $3000 kit that DIDNT INCLUDE turbos or intercooler.. $500 isn't ****. I own a corvette, not a Honda. Your opinion is to just buy them, but I know better manifolds can be built for under $1000 and I don't care about shiny SS. Mild is steel will work just as good.
Where did you find the PTK stuff for sale?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
beautiful work but I would keep the runners much shorter

nice street rod headers, but not a good turbo manifold

you want the turbo very close to the exh valve with as efficient a flow as possible those headers loose spool up efficiency compared to a manifold designed for turbos

look at what bmw and audi do with turbos and it will help illustrate the point a bit
Old 07-25-2017, 05:04 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

beautiful work but I would keep the runners much shorter

nice street rod headers, but not a good turbo manifold

you want the turbo very close to the exh valve with as efficient a flow as possible those headers loose spool up efficiency compared to a manifold designed for turbos

look at what bmw and audi do with turbos and it will help illustrate the point a bit

That very much depends whether maximum power is your end goal, or fast spool/torque

If it is maximum power then equal length, tuned headers etc etc can still all offer benefits and also offer scope for a more aggressive cam to work better.

And lets face it, for the type of vehicle it looks a hell of a lot better than short manifolds would !
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
That very much depends whether maximum power is your end goal, or fast spool/torque

If it is maximum power then equal length, tuned headers etc etc can still all offer benefits and also offer scope for a more aggressive cam to work better.

And lets face it, for the type of vehicle it looks a hell of a lot better than short manifolds would !
The other reason OEMs put the turbos near the exhaust ports is heat, not for the turbos but for the cats! This reduce the light off time of the cats and helps with emissions.

For spool I have heard that well designed headers are better than logs anyway. It's a bit like long tubes as you can use the exhaust energy better / stop stuff going back into the cylinder.

Get notified of new replies

To Equal length TT exhaust manifolds?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:29 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteVette007
I don't care about shiny SS. Mild is steel will work just as good.
Sure it will, right up until you actually put some heat into it a few times.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Sure it will, right up until you actually put some heat into it a few times.
I'd love to hear the science behind that....
Old 08-01-2017, 03:03 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Metallurgy 101 - the acceptable working temperatures of different alloys....

SS is far superior to mild, especially in terms of supporting the weight of the turbos and vibration under heated conditions. Not to mention heat/cool/repeat.

Mild<409<304<321

Quick Reply: Equal length TT exhaust manifolds?