C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600+whp e85 fuel pump options

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 PM
neoVVL
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600+whp e85 fuel pump options

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help sorting this fuel system out. Set up is a 02 z06 with v3si 3.8 pulley along with cam and headers. Shooting for low to mid 600whp. The issue is I want to keep running e85 but im afraid my current system isn't up to the task. It was loosing fuel pressure before I added the bap, I'm not sure if it's going to be enough. (340lhp pump and kb bap)

I was hoping there was an easy/good option duel in tank fuel pump set up but I haven't really been able to find any. Do you guys have any set ups you'd suggest? If in have to I'll just go back to gas and re tune until I get it sorted out.

thanks for the help!

Last edited by neoVVL; 03-26-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 AM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

I am literally looking to run the same, mid 600 on my 99. What I plan to do is switch to a return style fuel system, and run Lonnie's double pumper with 2 255lph intank pumps (good for 800hp) through 1200cc injectors.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:13 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

you want a twin pump kit look to racetronix for a solution, they have one.

Also heads up on getting tuned for e85. Unless you self tune, you'll need to somewhat get retuned each time you fill up. That because of the differences in ethanol content in the fuel.

I'll give you an example since our cars are not flex fuel sensor happy.

You're FI on a straight (non flex fuel) e85 tune.

Lets say you have pump e85 with an ethanol content of 70% and your get tuned for a WOT AFR of 11.5 (using the gas scale) and everything is happy.

Lets say a month later you pump e85 but now has 40% ethanol content. Without making any changes to the tune your WOT AFR will now be richer, lets say something like 11.0 AFR

The third scenario, you pump e85 with 85% ethanol content. Again without making any changes to the original tune your new WOT AFR will be leaner, maybe like 12.0 AFR.

Just something to consider when going e85 in a non flex fuel car. If the car was flex fuel capable it would see the changes in ethanol % and add or subtract fuel amounts to keep the AFR on target
Old 04-01-2017, 12:23 AM
neoVVL
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih
you want a twin pump kit look to racetronix for a solution, they have one.

Also heads up on getting tuned for e85. Unless you self tune, you'll need to somewhat get retuned each time you fill up. That because of the differences in ethanol content in the fuel.

I'll give you an example since our cars are not flex fuel sensor happy.

You're FI on a straight (non flex fuel) e85 tune.

Lets say you have pump e85 with an ethanol content of 70% and your get tuned for a WOT AFR of 11.5 (using the gas scale) and everything is happy.

Lets say a month later you pump e85 but now has 40% ethanol content. Without making any changes to the tune your WOT AFR will now be richer, lets say something like 11.0 AFR

The third scenario, you pump e85 with 85% ethanol content. Again without making any changes to the original tune your new WOT AFR will be leaner, maybe like 12.0 AFR.

Just something to consider when going e85 in a non flex fuel car. If the car was flex fuel capable it would see the changes in ethanol % and add or subtract fuel amounts to keep the AFR on target
I appreciate the input but that's really not necessary. I've run e85 for years in prior race cars.

In my area we've got a few stations that actually keep e83+ in the pump year round (been verified and frequently tested). Also once you get the sumer blends if you stick to the same fuel company it's fairly consistent. If you were to tune on the absolute edge of safety margin sure, you'd probably need to adjust the tune frequently but e85 is an easy fuel to tune. You generally find the best afr and timing is well before the limits of the set up. You're right, ideally you'd use a flex sensor and never have to worry, or take my aproach and keep the fuel used consistent enough. I'm not blindly filling up with unknown fuel. But it's good info, a lot of people aren't aware how vast the fluctuations can be with "e85".

Also racetronix doesnt have a solution for the early c5 tanks....
Old 04-01-2017, 02:20 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I get 620hp (E85 fuel) with Walbro 450 pump and KB 40A BAP. I also make new wires to pump and use stock harness only to control relay. My brother make that pump to fit in stock bucket. He also make new power connector to tank plate.
I use 3bar base fuel pressure.
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2017, 09:19 AM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I am running an in-tank Walbro 450 for normal driving and a boost-activated Magnafuel 4303 external pump....I am shooting for 1,000 - 1,100 whp on e85.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:27 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Build your fuel system for 250hp more than you intend to run. My fuel system will support 750-800 on E, but I won't go there. 1000 on pump or race gas won't be a big deal. It's already been there.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:22 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette97sc
I get 620hp (E85 fuel) with Walbro 450 pump and KB 40A BAP. I also make new wires to pump and use stock harness only to control relay. My brother make that pump to fit in stock bucket. He also make new power connector to tank plate.
I use 3bar base fuel pressure.
Have you already been running your system at 3 bar? If so, what are you doing to manage the fuel transfer circuit because I've never seen one work below about 50psi base pressure with out doing some custom work.

Where did your brother get the power connector? Did he make it from scratch? That's pretty cool. I use a custom steel fitting with O-rings and filled with Teflon that houses 4 silver-tinned, Teflon jacketed 10ga wires.

Also, you may have done something about my next comment, but I wanted to comment to the members about using caution when reusing the factory bucket. The stock pump assembly includes a jet pump that bleeds fuel into the bucket to keep the pump submerged in fuel. The other pumps like the 450 don't include that jet pump strategy, so it's important to take measures to make sure the pump gets plenty of fuel.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
Have you already been running your system at 3 bar? If so, what are you doing to manage the fuel transfer circuit because I've never seen one work below about 50psi base pressure with out doing some custom work.

Where did your brother get the power connector? Did he make it from scratch? That's pretty cool. I use a custom steel fitting with O-rings and filled with Teflon that houses 4 silver-tinned, Teflon jacketed 10ga wires.

Also, you may have done something about my next comment, but I wanted to comment to the members about using caution when reusing the factory bucket. The stock pump assembly includes a jet pump that bleeds fuel into the bucket to keep the pump submerged in fuel. The other pumps like the 450 don't include that jet pump strategy, so it's important to take measures to make sure the pump gets plenty of fuel.
Yes i was driving last summer with 3 bar fuel pressure. Fuel regulator is connected to manifold. Fuel lines to engine bay is stock. I didint find pic about engine bay but in this video can see how lines going. I cant connect fuel rails together in behind. AN connector dont fit. I have now banjo and have to try that. Maybe need to cut fuel rail abit and make longer thread.
My brother make that connector himself. He draw that in CAD and he use machines in work to make it. Fuel bucket is working just like stock, in that pic just missing that bucket. Have to take better pics about bucket when take it out.
We measure how pressure effect.
From pump.........4,2bar.....14V.....5,66 l/min......340 l/h
Before fuel rail....4,2bar.....14V......5 l/min.........300 l/h
From pump.........3,7bar.....14V.....6,1 l/min.......367 l/h
Before fuel rail....3,7bar.....14V.....5,4 l/min.......324 l/h

Last edited by Vette97sc; 04-13-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neoVVL
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help sorting this fuel system out. Set up is a 02 z06 with v3si 3.8 pulley along with cam and headers. Shooting for low to mid 600whp. The issue is I want to keep running e85 but im afraid my current system isn't up to the task. It was loosing fuel pressure before I added the bap, I'm not sure if it's going to be enough. (340lhp pump and kb bap)

I was hoping there was an easy/good option duel in tank fuel pump set up but I haven't really been able to find any. Do you guys have any set ups you'd suggest? If in have to I'll just go back to gas and re tune until I get it sorted out.

thanks for the help!
Which 340lph pump? AEM? What are you using to regulate your pressure with that system?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

so are you saying you get 25 l/h more by decreasing fp by 0.5 bar and that 40 l/h goes to the jet pump?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:12 PM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by romandian
so are you saying you get 25 l/h more by decreasing fp by 0.5 bar and that 40 l/h goes to the jet pump?
Walbro capacity drop alot in high pressure. I think that 40 l/h go to passeger side tank. Line go to other tank before fuel filter.
14V 5bar 280 l/h
With Kenne bell BAP
5bar 380 l/h
4bar 450 l/h

Last edited by Vette97sc; 05-25-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:25 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

and thats why you need a bigger pump if you are boost referenced. where are you from?

Last edited by romandian; 05-25-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by romandian
and thats why you need a bigger pump if you are boost referenced. where are you from?
I writing from Finland, thats why english is not so good
Old 07-26-2021, 10:45 AM
Kerviper
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry wrong thread grabbed for my response!

Last edited by Kerviper; 07-26-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 600+whp e85 fuel pump options

Quick Reply: 600+whp e85 fuel pump options