C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are all dyno numbers to be taken as truth?
Yes
0%
Dynos are just a tool for tuning and measuring deltas
91.30%
No
8.70%
My car is a dyno queen
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Dyno Education - Tips, Tricks, and False Records

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
We plan on participating in a few of those this year also. Mostly we're going to do 1/8th mile events though. But doing the cruise in a car that's hopefully going to scare a 4 do death in the 1/8th this year is going to be kinda rewarding.
BTW, we were 3300# raceweight when we ran that if it'll help you in any way setting up your car to run the number we did. Any other details you need and I'll gladly tell you our exact combo if interested. PM me.
Thx. I've been following your build. I'm at full weight plus me I'm around 3500-3550lbs race weight. My biggest challenge is my 60ft . The 1.54 isn't cutting it. I can't build boost on the footbrake at 3600 rpm. I'm leaving at 2-3 lbs.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:30 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

What's the pulley combo on the P1SC and which nitrous kit?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The only true show of HP is trap speed.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:37 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Well, kind of, yes.

1000 rwhp at standing mile = 225...230 mph.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:18 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Well I like all the info in this thread Ben! Good stuff. I used to really like my dyno numbers a while back for sure. But in the end its just another tuning tool. But no one wants to spend a lot of money effort, and time to see a lower dyno number than what they were expecting. But I've kind of moved on from them and use them just like a base line for either solving a problem or reaching a specific goal, what ever it is IE: Drag racing, half mile, Mile or what ever floats your boat. Hell I can't even find a complete pull from the last time I was on one tuning. Like at TI for instance, My car isn't the platform to win much other than go a few rounds because of the competition etc... But I like the event and set goals for myself such as making past a certain number of rounds, and a MPH goal. All of which SHOULD back up any data from a dyno etc... With that said it doesn't always happen. So my advice to anyone is to just keep trying!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:52 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
What's the pulley combo on the P1SC and which nitrous kit?
I think this is directed towards me so here goes. 8" lower 3.2" supercharger pulley from 928 Motorsports with that special fancy anti-slip coating to keep the belt from slipping. 8 rib setup. We still had to remove the air filter and put on a screen as the extra work of having to pull that much air through the filter and tube made the belt slip above 6000 RPM. No N2O on the car. I posted the dyno sheet before and it's almost perfectly flat from 6000 RPM until it's shut down. The car stays between 6000-6800 RPM the whole pass from the hit of the throttle. That's a big part of why it ran like it did with only the meager horsepower output from the too small supercharger head unit.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:57 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Well, kind of, yes.

Not in a Corvette unfortunately. I wish that's all it took to trap >225 in a standing mile. Not a roll on where you start at 60 MPH but a standing mile.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:47 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
Dynos make tuning safer and are good for before and after results. I dont really care what the end numbers are. I just care how it runs. Most people just want the numbers though.

Yup, dyno numbers are for the pub.

A fast car wins every time regardless of pub dyno numbers.

The only numbers that matter with a dyno, are the before/after whilst in a tuning session.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Well, kind of, yes.

Wrong. You obviously just lightly follow the Texas Mile. Not a spectator and participant from the beginning. This year had a crazy tailwind. ~25 consistent with gusts higher.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:54 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Wrong. You obviously just lightly follow the Texas Mile. Not a spectator and participant from the beginning. This year had a crazy tailwind. ~25 consistent with gusts higher.
I would assume he is referring to cars he has tuned and raced.

Although I do think the speed is on the high side for that power.....but then of course it also highlights that dyno numbers on their own cannot be trusted in that manner
Old 04-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

So a car trapping 160 mph at Atco is faster than a car trapping 150 mph at Bandimere?

One thing I've noticed in the car scene is that people like to promote whatever their car/platform etc. is good at.

If you are a drag strip guy, street racers and roll racers are morons.

If you are a road racing guy, anyone who doesn't turn can't drive.

If you are a street race guy, you hate the NHRA and the rules they impose

Realistically there are a ton of different ways to enjoy a car, and the older I get, the less I care about what other people are doing. With the exception of Albert, most of the 8/9 second guys would be extremely butt hurt if they came to a track up here and got to experience 4000-6000 DA
Old 04-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Milan
So a car trapping 160 mph at Atco is faster than a car trapping 150 mph at Bandimere?

One thing I've noticed in the car scene is that people like to promote whatever their car/platform etc. is good at.

If you are a drag strip guy, street racers and roll racers are morons.

If you are a road racing guy, anyone who doesn't turn can't drive.

If you are a street race guy, you hate the NHRA and the rules they impose

Realistically there are a ton of different ways to enjoy a car, and the older I get, the less I care about what other people are doing. With the exception of Albert, most of the 8/9 second guys would be extremely butt hurt if they came to a track up here and got to experience 4000-6000 DA
If the Atco car goes to Bandimere under similar DA and traps faster than 150mph, then it could be considered faster. Additional info is needed before determining which one is faster at two different tracks. My recommendation is to line the cars up side by side and see which one crosses the line 1st.

I think some people might be pleased to post up their corrected timeslip at 4000 to 6000 DA. Especially if they corrected it for altitude 1st and then put it back through the calculator with the wrong barometric pressure entered. They might even be able to get some people to consider it as a new C5 record.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Milan
most of the 8/9 second guys would be extremely butt hurt if they came to a track up here and got to experience 4000-6000 DA
I know for sure what crappy DA does for your performance potential. That's why we don't race a whole lot in July and August when the DA goes above 3000' here in the South. I truly don't want to go to 6000' DA and try it. I'm sure we'd be fortunate to run a low 9 and probably wouldn't go anywhere near 150 MPH.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:39 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

This only true if many variables are constant, which of course is not usually the case. I have jumped in several customers cars over the years, including auto's, and put 5+ MPH on their best pass simply because they did not have a bunch of seat time. Did the car make more power when I drove it? I don't think so. I have had many conversations over the years with people who were convinced that ET varies but MPH will be somewhat consistent between drivers, but I strongly disagree with that.

As for the tuning going leaner in lower gears, that is inherent with factory computers so there is no really good way of eliminating it without going to an aftermarket ECM. The factory computer will richen the mixture with increased load, or in this case lean the mixture out in lower gears due to less load. It is amplified once you are making 1000+ hp.

Coincidentally that is the exact reason why I sold my DynoJet and bought the DynoPack. A 1000 rwhp car would have a fast dyno pull like I'm sure you have all seen the video's of, and say a stock 2.73 auto 97 would take a minute to do the same pull.
Well what happens when those cars are released into the wild is the 1000 hp car is very rich and the stock auto is lean.

Oh and yes, dyno's are a tuning tool that can be manipulated, but that will come back to bite the operator sooner or later. I have found an auto making 700+- rwhp will dip into the 9's around 140ish, I use that as a bench mark typically.
The following users liked this post:
romandian (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
This only true if many variables are constant, which of course is not usually the case. I have jumped in several customers cars over the years, including auto's, and put 5+ MPH on their best pass simply because they did not have a bunch of seat time. Did the car make more power when I drove it? I don't think so. I have had many conversations over the years with people who were convinced that ET varies but MPH will be somewhat consistent between drivers, but I strongly disagree with that.

As for the tuning going leaner in lower gears, that is inherent with factory computers so there is no really good way of eliminating it without going to an aftermarket ECM. The factory computer will richen the mixture with increased load, or in this case lean the mixture out in lower gears due to less load. It is amplified once you are making 1000+ hp.

Coincidentally that is the exact reason why I sold my DynoJet and bought the DynoPack. A 1000 rwhp car would have a fast dyno pull like I'm sure you have all seen the video's of, and say a stock 2.73 auto 97 would take a minute to do the same pull.
Well what happens when those cars are released into the wild is the 1000 hp car is very rich and the stock auto is lean.

Oh and yes, dyno's are a tuning tool that can be manipulated, but that will come back to bite the operator sooner or later. I have found an auto making 700+- rwhp will dip into the 9's around 140ish, I use that as a bench mark typically.
Very true.. AND you bought the DynoPack after I recommended it to you and Chris as a solution to get accurate RWHP measurements since it kept blowing my tires off your DynoJet in the cold weather

Heck, that was 12+ years ago! 680rwhp was so much back then!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
You've seen the 'you might be a redneck skit', here's 'your dyno numbers might be fake'.

If the dyno operator asks you "Are there any records you are wanting to break today?" Your numbers might be fake.
My current combo has never been on a dyno. All street and track tuned. I have no idea what she makes, I only care how fast she goes!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:27 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
I think this is directed towards me so here goes. 8" lower 3.2" supercharger pulley from 928 Motorsports with that special fancy anti-slip coating to keep the belt from slipping. 8 rib setup. We still had to remove the air filter and put on a screen as the extra work of having to pull that much air through the filter and tube made the belt slip above 6000 RPM. No N2O on the car. I posted the dyno sheet before and it's almost perfectly flat from 6000 RPM until it's shut down. The car stays between 6000-6800 RPM the whole pass from the hit of the throttle. That's a big part of why it ran like it did with only the meager horsepower output from the too small supercharger head unit.
"car stays between 6000-6800 RPM the whole pass"

how so?

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno Education - Tips, Tricks, and False Records

Old 04-27-2017, 12:49 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure
Very true.. AND you bought the DynoPack after I recommended it to you and Chris as a solution to get accurate RWHP measurements since it kept blowing my tires off your DynoJet in the cold weather

Heck, that was 12+ years ago! 680rwhp was so much back then!
Wow time flies...
Old 04-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

So true.

Most excellent!
Old 04-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Lot's of good info in here. It's interesting that track performance shows up in a dyno thread. I'm all for it actually because you can't cheat the track as far as all out effort. There is no correction factor when you pull around to the time shack for your slip. The scoreboard doesn't show ET and MPH and then the correction factor that was used to obtain the numbers. I'm sure some people would appreciate it because then maybe their car would actually run what the shop's dynosheet claims.

Don't misunderstand me. I understand traction issues, or some mechanical errors happening during the run. However if the car makes a clean pass in every gear like the dyno sheet shows with no hiccups in power delivery, it should get close. A true 1400hp car should be able to fall out of bed and run an 8.99 on a fair pass.

Quick Reply: Dyno Education - Tips, Tricks, and False Records