C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went WAY lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Went WAY lean

A couple days ago I did a little pull and at above 5k the car felt flat so my first thought was look at gauges. Boost was good meth was on and my wideband was at 16.1 so i immediately got off the gas threw it in neutral. Limped it home but the car ran fine the rest of the way home AFR were right where they should be no misfire or codes. When I got the car Home i pulled plugs and they all looked good and everything seems fine. I fired the car back up went to the gas station topped it off and did another pull(when I did the pull and it went lean it was just a hair above a 1/4). My only thought is I know these cars have been known to go lean under 1/4 tank so my only thought is I ran the tank dry. Any other thoughts?

I put new plugs in because they are all out so why not even though they only had roughly 600 miles on them.
Car has 60psi at idle for fuel pressure.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:17 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

After just reading another thread I just thought of something... this was after a 2+ hour freeway ride and was 90 degrees outside maybe my pump was hot?
Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls2gtoowner
After just reading another thread I just thought of something... this was after a 2+ hour freeway ride and was 90 degrees outside maybe my pump was hot?
Probably since the fuel in the tank is what cools the pump and you were hammering on it with a 1/4 tank lol. Also makes it easier for the pump to run dry and just not a good idea with high hp.

Last edited by SBCGENII; 05-17-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
Probably since the fuel in the tank is what cools the pump and you were hammering on it with a 1/4 tank lol. Also makes it easier for the pump to run dry and just not a good idea with high hp.

ya I know it's not a good idea I was about one notch above a 1/4 of a tank and just got done with the 2 hour drive and didn't even think to look at the gas gauge if I would have looked before I wouldn't have stepped on it.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:33 AM
DKS2K
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be sucking that basket dry or before it can pull fuel over from the other side tank or the fuel pump might be hot and dropping fuel pressure.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:41 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

what's your fuel setup? and what the power output. sounds far fetched, but i'm curious
Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i have been making pulls with 1/4 fuel or less for two years. no weird afr. at 1/4 fuell the tank is half full. a regular pump cosumes around 150 w. how much heat could it be making? 50 w max. thats nothing. i would say the gauge just had a hickup. mine does from time to time. if you had been logging, thats another story.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony Le
You might be sucking that basket dry or before it can pull fuel over from the other side tank or the fuel pump might be hot and dropping fuel pressure.
I am thinking the pump got hot.

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
what's your fuel setup? and what the power output. sounds far fetched, but i'm curious
Currently stock setup with Hobbs switch and maxed out. I am going to be tearing the car all down and while it's apart it will be getting a fire fuel system.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:49 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Little update for everyone. I am not sure if this had any relation to my lean at WOT but I started having an issue at first start up the car would want to die and then run lean and once it idled for 30 seconds or so it would richer itself back up to normal. Well I pulled the intake off replaced the gasket on my MAP sensor, replaced all the intake gaskets and the throttle body gasket. The intake gaskets were smushed flat so I am thinking it didn't seal well.

Anyway fired the car up and runs much better idles smooth everything seems much happier at idle and did a couple pulls and the car seems happy.

Get notified of new replies

To Went WAY lean

Quick Reply: Went WAY lean