C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Booster (Race Gas Concentrate)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Express
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Octane Booster (Race Gas Concentrate)

Has anyone out there used Race Gas Concentrate?
I only have 91 octane available. I do not run on the track.
I am running a stock block LS6 with A&A kit.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-08-2017, 05:33 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Since no one else has chimed in, Ill take a shot.
I have used Torco octane boost in other vehicles with good results- other types not so much.
In the past I have run a percentage of race gs to gt the octane up where it needs to be.
However, for a frequently driven street car, this isnt practical- est if you still have cats.
How much boost are running or planning to run?
You can have it tuned for the 91 but will leave some power on the table. Might want to look at a meth system- in the long run it will cost you less than additive or race gas
Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

For me it is practical, I do not run cats here in fla. Adding a lil sunoco 100 octane to 93 is just insurance from unwanted detination. During summer months it air is so hot and could easily run lean. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Express
Has anyone out there used Race Gas Concentrate?
I only have 91 octane available. I do not run on the track.
I am running a stock block LS6 with A&A kit.

Thanks in advance
For a street driven vehicle that is off boost more than 95% of the time, a methanol(+water?) injection system is the way to go. It delivers the octane you need only when you actually need it, and lets you run "street fuel" under conditions (most of the time) when "street fuel" is more than adequate.

Fuel additives don't deliver as much as you think they would. The math is really against them if you're adding them to 15+ gallons of 91 octane fuel.

If you're running occasionally on the drag strip or autocross course, draining the tank down to a known, small quantity of fuel (the low fuel warning point is a good point to start at) and adding known quantities of actual high octane race fuel and/or additives with known octane ratings is a good way to get up to a known number that you can use with a "higher octane tune."

As an example, I have a friend running autocrosses, and he drains the tank until the low fuel warning goes off. At that point, we know there's about 3.0 gallons of 93 octane street gas in the tank (when we started doing this, we measured what we got out of a full tank, and we know the published tank capacity, so we pretty much know what was left). We then add 2 gallons of 100 octane race fuel (that brings the octane blend in the tank to 95.8), and a half gallon of {something else} which brings the tank up to almost 97.5 octane (r+m)/2. We actually bring the race fuel/{something else} blend in a 2.5 gallon fuel jug, so we aren't mixing at the events. With that blend, we can run a tune with a target octane minimum of 97 and get the full potential of the fuel. After the event, put the gas we pumped out back in the tank, reset to the "street" tune for 91+ octane and drive home.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 08-10-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i use torco when tuning, the idea being when i make a mistake (never happens) there is a safety margin.

otherwise i run shell v-power 100 octane (ron) at 16 psi without problems. so a can per tank means 102 ron (hopefully). price wise getting 98 ron and torco would be cheaper, because shell is the most expensive fuel around here and i can get 98 ron everywhere. although shell stations are scarce there is one just around the corner so i dont bother with torco all the time. btw, it makes the plugs brown and unreadable (reading plugs being a black art anyway).
Old 08-10-2017, 12:14 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Just add a meth kit. People make big power with pump gas and meth.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

until they blow up.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

I've been running Torco for over 10 years, mix it with 91, and run Meth as well. Yes, it leaves a little residue, but I don't seem to have to change plugs with any more frequency...

I've been beating on my stroked 418 LS3 motor for the last 7 years with out a hitch....
Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

meth kit is cheap and your motor will thank you and you'll make more power.

I personally run dual meth and also usually mix some 100 octane into my tank just because i like wasting money but my car was tuned on 91 octane and methanol. Torco is proven too but it's not replacement for methanol.

Get notified of new replies

To Octane Booster (Race Gas Concentrate)

Quick Reply: Octane Booster (Race Gas Concentrate)