C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Maf suggestions for 1000hp street car ...not race car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Any Maf suggestions for 1000hp street car ...not race car.

Did a lot of reading and all i can read is SD tune and only sd tune.I dont wanna start another MAF vs SD but ....

Can i get a maf tune since my car is a street car only but will get over 1000hp ???

What maf type should i get ???

Thanks
Eric

Last edited by always faster; 08-23-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:09 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by always faster
Did a lot of reading and all i can read is SD tune and only sd tune.I dont wanna start another MAF vs SD but ....

Can i get a maf tune since my car is a street car only but will get over 1000hp ???

What maf type should i get ???

Thanks
Eric
You'd use the stock MAF and scale the tune. Our ecus are limited how their MAF readings which is why it's common to switch to SD. Mine is 99.9% street on SD. Idles + runs as good as it did stock.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:58 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

So no need for a card style maf , just run the stocker.
Ok.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:19 AM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette tuner in Tampa

The reason you may be hearing to run in speed density is because with your 1000 HP Corvette, you may be running out of room on your MAF scale.

There's ways around that, but the more common way is to run in SD mode for fueling.

Im a fan of the MAF, and if you can use it, Use it.

Phil
Corvette tuner in Tampa www.TampaTuning.com
The following users liked this post:
Pekka_Perkeles (08-28-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 AM
ysb02
Drifting

So no need for a card style maf , just run the stocker.
Ok.
The limitation for MAF is the ecu not the actual sensor. So sensor type doesn't matter at all.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:01 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning
The reason you may be hearing to run in speed density is because with your 1000 HP Corvette, you may be running out of room on your MAF scale.

There's ways around that, but the more common way is to run in SD mode for fueling.

Im a fan of the MAF, and if you can use it, Use it.

Phil
Corvette tuner in Tampa www.TampaTuning.com
I wanna keep the maf , it make perfect sens for a street car.
Whats the way around that ???
Any way to get bigger maf scaling ???

There must ne a way

Last edited by always faster; 08-24-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:58 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

You can try expanding your charge pipe where your MAF is to a 5" to try to shift the physical scale down within limits or your can also use a frequency divider. They're actually very basic and relatively easy to build using a flip flop chip.

If you want to just buy one, you can probably get something from someone like Split Second.

Here's one that might work. You can call them to confirm. It would cut your frequency in half, so you would simply shift your values down. If you need to scale it back so that it fits within the overall limits then you can scale the injectors values accordingly or manipulate the stoich fueling values. There are a lot of methods to get what you want.

I would bet that you can't tell the difference between a properly SD tuned and a MAF tuned car.

Bret
SBCGENII (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 01:22 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

It depends on your ECM and OS really. With C6 stuff keeping that MAF isn't an issue but with a C5 PCM going SD is the usual solution since the hard coded MAF limits will cap power.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1z
It depends on your ECM and OS really. With C6 stuff keeping that MAF isn't an issue but with a C5 PCM going SD is the usual solution since the hard coded MAF limits will cap power.
It might be hard coded but their are ways around it like Bret mentioned above.
Pekka_Perkeles (08-26-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:55 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
You can try expanding your charge pipe where your MAF is to a 5" to try to shift the physical scale down within limits or your can also use a frequency divider. They're actually very basic and relatively easy to build using a flip flop chip.

If you want to just buy one, you can probably get something from someone like Split Second.

Here's one that might work. You can call them to confirm. It would cut your frequency in half, so you would simply shift your values down. If you need to scale it back so that it fits within the overall limits then you can scale the injectors values accordingly or manipulate the stoich fueling values. There are a lot of methods to get what you want.

I would bet that you can't tell the difference between a properly SD tuned and a MAF tuned car.

Bret
I agree , but no one in the Quebec ,Canada area does SD tune.Also a lot of shop doesnt even know how to properly tune a car on the street....
Can you elabortate more on the Split Second option ???

Last edited by always faster; 08-27-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:21 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You're right. It is tough to find a good tuner here. I had a great one but he went to California to work for Tesla. Sucks to lose him.

I do my own tuning but he would help me out here and there. I was running MAF only for years with no issues and just recently tuned my VE and went blended. Works good also.

Mine is a C6 but I think the C5 has lower MAF limits, so I can't really help you out much.

Remote help might be you're best choice if you don't want to travel for tuning.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
You're right. It is tough to find a good tuner here. I had a great one but he went to California to work for Tesla. Sucks to lose him.

I do my own tuning but he would help me out here and there. I was running MAF only for years with no issues and just recently tuned my VE and went blended. Works good also.

Mine is a C6 but I think the C5 has lower MAF limits, so I can't really help you out much.

Remote help might be you're best choice if you don't want to travel for tuning.
Dont mind travelling , i heard that Kevin @ championmotors does a great job tuning SD but no solid fact.I wont tow my car 7 hours away on some "maybe"

And yeah i would like to keep a maf setup.

Last edited by always faster; 08-28-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

You can try expanding your charge pipe where your MAF is to a 5" to try to shift the physical scale down within limits
Now, there's a risk that the flow itself at lower TPS openings may become unstable around the card-style MAF. And that's not good, since the engine will surge if the flow is not stable.

I've seen this on some setups, especially with card-style MAF.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree , but no one in the Quebec ,Canada area does SD tune.Also a lot of shop doesnt even know how to properly tune a car on the street....
Can you elabortate more on the Split Second option ???
I'll call them and let you know.

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Now, there's a risk that the flow itself at lower TPS openings may become unstable around the card-style MAF. And that's not good, since the engine will surge if the flow is not stable.

I've seen this on some setups, especially with card-style MAF.
As you know, from the factory, the PCM's operate a balance between SD and MAF below 4kRPM. Although I'm not a fan of MAF only tuning, I've had a lot of MAF-only tuned C6's come to me and they didn't have any significant issues at low engine speeds and light throttle.
always faster (08-30-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

As you know, from the factory, the PCM's operate a balance between SD and MAF below 4kRPM. Although I'm not a fan of MAF only tuning, I've had a lot of MAF-only tuned C6's come to me and they didn't have any significant issues at low engine speeds and light throttle.
I know, I know... :-)

With regards to C6, I've only once seen it and here's the screenshot:

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...S3-A6-Corvette

Others having similar problems have been mostly crate LS engines with E67 PCM and card-style MAF in a large pipe...
Old 08-28-2017, 01:45 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

That scan is obviously from a car with some issues... I can assure you a MAF can be smooth if placement is good.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
That scan is obviously from a car with some issues... I can assure you a MAF can be smooth if placement is good.
That was stock car. Logs don't lie and that car was surging.

But I do agree, when everything is right, MAF is stable. I've seen it countless of times, as you have as well.

But there's a risk with big "aftermarket" tube and card-style MAF. Sometimes it does work, sometimes it doesn't. Again, logs will show it.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Maf suggestions for 1000hp street car ...not race car.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
That was stock car. Logs don't lie and that car was surging.

But I do agree, when everything is right, MAF is stable. I've seen it countless of times, as you have as well.

But there's a risk with big "aftermarket" tube and card-style MAF. Sometimes it does work, sometimes it doesn't. Again, logs will show it.
Agree... most common issue with aftermarket tube is putting the MAF in a bad spot. When i went to 4 inch tube, I had to move it once to get it really good. My first choice of spots sucked ....LOL
Pekka_Perkeles (08-28-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

I'll call them and let you know.

Pm sent
Old 08-30-2017, 03:11 PM
ysb02
Drifting

I know you didn't want to get into a maf versus sd but sd mode is very easy to tweak yourself using hp tuners. You should only have to use a tuner to lay down a base map then tweak yourself from road logging. This should help if your tuner is 6 hours away.

Quick Reply: Any Maf suggestions for 1000hp street car ...not race car.