C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building boost without 2 step

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 PM
TheBandit18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Building boost without 2 step

So I'm just finishing up my twin turbo kit on my FRC and i was curious how to build boost from a dig without a 2 step on a manual trans?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

It seems you would just hold the clutch in and rev up the motor.... that would get the turbos spinnin'
Old 09-15-2017, 05:01 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Without a load on it, free reving produces little to no boost.
From a roll, you can pwer brake it.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Since I wasn't familiar with this issue, I did some Google-ing to find that nearly everyone uses a line lock and then slip their clutch to build boost. Combine this with a 2 step and you can build more boost but you can't build nearly as much boost as an auto. In many threads I read, the clutch was a component that was replaced regularly as slipping the clutch glazes or burns it. I suppose it will depend on how much you launch it with this method. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:25 AM
TheBandit18
Instructor

My final goal is to get a 2 step but put money somewhere else so have to wait a little
Old 09-21-2017, 05:49 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

tricky launching a stick at the digs on boost

I have a ttix and finally went auto

but there are numerous tricks in the tuning and as you mention 2 step to help build boost

one fix Ihink had a steering wheel button to pull timing make it rich and spool up stand back from the pops!!

it will spool it "no load" but it's hard on the equipment
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

The WOT box from N2mb offers a 2-step and WOT shifting and is relatively easy to wire up. Once installed, you can use HP Tuners VCM controls to move timing around while you're on the 2-step. What I've experienced and seen is backing down the timing, creates an inefficient burn that burns fuel in the exhaust, raises EGT's and gets your turbos spooling as much as they're going to spool under the circumstances.

Bret

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
The WOT box from N2mb offers a 2-step and WOT shifting and is relatively easy to wire up. Once installed, you can use HP Tuners VCM controls to move timing around while you're on the 2-step. What I've experienced and seen is backing down the timing, creates an inefficient burn that burns fuel in the exhaust, raises EGT's and gets your turbos spooling as much as they're going to spool under the circumstances.

Bret
thanks bret! and on the "lunatic fringe" side of things I studied a system on rally cars that used an injector on the turbo housing to dump raw fuel to spool off corners on the rally cars

same basic concept, and it could use a computer to control the injector as any IAC setup could.

the import guys are "torq challenged" so you see alot of these setups on the maza rotary and big turbo small displacement imports to get them to launch

with HP tuners, this sounds pretty easy and with an AIC or aftermarket setup that can control multiple injectors (I have the haltech s2000 but most can control a base array and then additional injectors) you could do some pretty cool stuff

I think pulling timing with the 2 step and the tune to match it with the hp tuners would be a great starting point

even for the automatic as the trans brakes don't seem to work out so well with the 4l65e based on what rodney advised

that was many years ago so they may have improved

with the stick the "load" can be generated by slipping the clutch but if you guys can do that without tearing up the equipment and be consistent then you are pretty talented (and hard on the clutch)

I would ask the tuner though and be concerned about the "hammer effect" of spooling like this

when I hear these guys at the digs do it I cringe at the noise of the
"turbo pops" it makes and most admit that it hammers the turbo pretty hard

like to hear more feedback to those that have gone "lunatic fringe" with supplemental fueling and spooling with the tune like this

2 step sounds great! the modern computers can use all kinds of input to trigger a function on a channel to do something like pull timing or change the fueling
Old 09-21-2017, 11:29 PM
TheBandit18
Instructor

Ok thanks everyone for your replies! I would like to go auto but I'm looking to be around 800 tovthe wheels and I know the 4l60e just doesn't hold up quite well.... and it's a ton of fabbing for a 4l80e

Last edited by TheBandit18; 09-21-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Building boost without 2 step

Quick Reply: Building boost without 2 step