C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big 3 Upgrade To Support Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:46 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Big 3 Upgrade To Support Fuel System

I was wondering if anyone here has done the big 3 electrical upgrade to help with the voltage and current draw of big fuel systems. I just finished installing the third Fuel pump that will come on off a 10# Hobbs switch. I also have dual spal fans and a eoc fan so I have a good amount of current draw. I ordered the big 3 kit from forum vendor SacCityCorvettes to log and see if the cars voltage stays steady when everything is at full tilt. I'll share my results but was wondering if anyone had tried it already.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:15 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think all cars can benefit from the big 3, regardless of current draw but especially cars with big current draw. I went through the electrical on my car over winter and had some extra 1/0 laying around from my stereo build in my truck and threw some upgrades at the Z out of principal.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Well im seeing anywhere from 0.5 to over a 1 volt increase according the dtc battery gauge. Also logged the voltage on the dyno pulls and it was always steady and never dropped. I must say it was definitely worth the upgrade.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:04 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

I did something similar except instead of adding larger gauge wire to the oem setup, I replaced all oem wires to the starter, alt and battery and replaced with 1/0 or 4 awg. I have zero voltage drop at all times.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:38 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

my car ran noticeably better with a big guage wire from brett run from alternator to battery on the hot side. otherwise it has to be routed via the starter terminal and with headers that gets hot as heck. i have to say my car ran noticeably better with a billetech alternator too, my guess is because the coil dwell and fuel injectors are scaled according to alternator that improving that output helps the fuel and ignition system a tiny bit.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neverstop
my car ran noticeably better with a big guage wire from brett run from alternator to battery on the hot side. otherwise it has to be routed via the starter terminal and with headers that gets hot as heck. i have to say my car ran noticeably better with a billetech alternator too, my guess is because the coil dwell and fuel injectors are scaled according to alternator that improving that output helps the fuel and ignition system a tiny bit.
What year is your C5? I was getting non stop Charging System Fault messages by simply using a 145amp alternator off a 2004 C5. Had to go back to my stock Valeo 110amp unit.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:25 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

sorry, I'm actually on a c6 vette. I know some of the older billet tech alternators were throwing that code issue in c5 but I believe they worked it out. I'm with you that having strong alternator output is key on these cars, especially for supercharged where can have minor belt stuff or slip going on at WOT so I figured a stronger alternator was well worth the price to ensure my fuel system always getting full juice. my fan runs higher at idle too so car cools a little better. i got the 240 amp one. not cheap but worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Big 3 Upgrade To Support Fuel System

Quick Reply: Big 3 Upgrade To Support Fuel System