C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centrifugal Blower vs Turbo (Twin Turbo vs Single)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 05:46 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Looking at their website etc ( well FB ) Huron Speed are in Port Huron MI.....that's pretty close to Toronto ?

https://www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Not sure whether they do installs there, but they're bound to have someone local who can given they've developed quite a few turbo kits for LS equipped cars.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 PM
c5muscle
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Looking at their website etc ( well FB ) Huron Speed are in Port Huron MI.....that's pretty close to Toronto ?

https://www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Not sure whether they do installs there, but they're bound to have someone local who can given they've developed quite a few turbo kits for LS equipped cars.
Yea they're right at the border too, maybe a 3 hour drive from my place so no need to pay for shipping, if only there was a way to get around customs. Whats the approx install time of a tt setup, could it be done in a weekend?
Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

If you drive away...and drive home....what changed ?

And with a TT setup it certainly wont make any louder noises.

You'd need to speak to the seller/supplier about install/tune times etc but I'm sure if it was all pre-arranged it could be done in a few days no problem.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 AM
c5muscle
Advanced

If you drive away...and drive home....what changed ?

And with a TT setup it certainly wont make any louder noises.

You'd need to speak to the seller/supplier about install/tune times etc but I'm sure if it was all pre-arranged it could be done in a few days no problem.
Yea I had that in mind but was concerned about risking it and getting stopped there. Thanks for all the info
Old 02-26-2018, 02:54 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

I'm sure the concerns are genuine....but would they really go so far as to check the car is exactly the same spec as it was driven on the outbound journey ?

I'd say good luck would be on your side for that, although of course yes it would carry some risks.
But an option nonetheless.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

I’ve driven across the USA-Canada border many times and they barely even looked at my passport, I think you would be just fine driving across after having the install done.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:54 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Just dont do anything silly like have invoices sitting on display in the window lol
Old 02-27-2018, 02:35 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
This thread has all of the answers. Read till the end to find out which one wins at the track.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tt-vs-sc.html
OMG​​​​OMG LOL WTF. That thread!

I came for the knowledge... I stayed for the drama.

Last edited by NSFW; 02-27-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Millennium FRC
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If money does not matter, as in, you could drop $40K today on a motor and not care at all, then do a turbo set up.

If money does matter and you are certain that you won't ever want more than 1000 at the wheels, do a YSi Vortech kit and be done with it.

I've done turbos, centrifugal superchargers, and nitrous (currently have a nitrous car) and I can guarantee that no matter which way you go, all of it is a lot of fun.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:56 PM
c5muscle
Advanced

Just dont do anything silly like have invoices sitting on display in the window lol
Yea im sure id be able to get away with it, just seemed like a decent sized gamble. Ideally Id like to get it done in town but if it makes more sense to head south then ill be doing that for sure.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:57 PM
c5muscle
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSFW
OMG​​​​OMG LOL WTF. That thread!

I came for the knowledge... I stayed for the drama.

hahaha yea. At one point I wasnt sure if I was going to see a race or a fight posted. some good info though!
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 PM
c5muscle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Millennium FRC
If money does not matter, as in, you could drop $40K today on a motor and not care at all, then do a turbo set up.

If money does matter and you are certain that you won't ever want more than 1000 at the wheels, do a YSi Vortech kit and be done with it.

I've done turbos, centrifugal superchargers, and nitrous (currently have a nitrous car) and I can guarantee that no matter which way you go, all of it is a lot of fun.
My budget is roughly 15-20k to have a stress free reliable build at low boost. Why would you suggest a ysi for anything under 40k? From what ive read it seems like a couple guys have some reliable turbo builds at low boost for around that cost and they have the option to turn it up and program different tunes for different driving styles instead of having to puley up or down.

I personally would prefer a turbo (just my uneducated preference) and money isnt the biggest issue but i dont want to get caught in a trap of pouring money into a car that is consistently down. I guess my question is can I make a reliable single turbo set up that has minimal boost lag and is safe for under 15k?
Old 03-01-2018, 10:17 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I'd go huron turbo and never look back. sure the blowers will make all the jam you need but they load the crank, are harder to do fancy stuff like boost by speed, and the turbo you can get more mid range torq and it's MUCH easier on the motor

sheesh, bring me 15k and I'll slap a little iron block in that bad little b

lets talk some realistic numbers

iron block forged short block 3500
huron twin turbo (on sale) 6000
injectors 127 fic 800
pumps walbro 450 intank, bosch external 1200 for pumps and lines fittings ec

heads (I use cheap 6 bolt cathedral port castings)

600 for the pair

get some truck iconel exh valves, turn down some ls9 intakes (200 for valves, price of a good valve job)

ls6 intake
direct port meth (pumb each intake with a spider direct port to get good fuel distribution)

now you've burned through most of the 15k, but you have something that will go for MANY miles and give you tons of flexibility

if you can afford it, go with E85 from the start and step up the pumps and injectors to 160 and the injectors get cheaper still

I don't disagree that the blower will make the same jam, but after lots of miles on turbo builds I'm happer with them and you don't have to refill the bottle or have quite as strong a bottom end to live with the hp

here is my current "low buck" build

stock 4.8, bored .020 over, wiseco turbo pistons, stronger pins
gen 4 rods with upgraded bolts
stock crank

with the short stroke the stock crank gets stronger and the little thumper can pull up a bit higher to stay in the sweet spot of the turbos longer

I'm a bit limited on turbo size with the ttix kit, but with the huron you can go much bigger on turbos and push over 1500

what you are going to do for a drivetrain then becomes the problem so then your 15k is again out the window.

to do this with a blower the ysi kit is a bit cheaper, but you should get the good stuff on the drive system and I think the 6k is about a wash now that more affordable kits are out there.
The following users liked this post:
c5muscle (03-03-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c5muscle
I personally would prefer a turbo (just my uneducated preference) and money isnt the biggest issue but i dont want to get caught in a trap of pouring money into a car that is consistently down. I guess my question is can I make a reliable single turbo set up that has minimal boost lag and is safe for under 15k?
Are those "consistently down" cars you're thinking of down due to issues with the power adders, or down due to issues with the power? I mean, the pistons / rods / crank / clutch / trans / diff / axles / etc probably don't care too much about whether they're downstream with a turbocharger or a supercharger, they just blow up when whatever it is finds their limits. $15k for power adders seems like more than enough to find a few of the weakest links in that chain.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 AM
c5muscle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'd go huron turbo and never look back. sure the blowers will make all the jam you need but they load the crank, are harder to do fancy stuff like boost by speed, and the turbo you can get more mid range torq and it's MUCH easier on the motor

sheesh, bring me 15k and I'll slap a little iron block in that bad little b

lets talk some realistic numbers

iron block forged short block 3500
huron twin turbo (on sale) 6000
injectors 127 fic 800
pumps walbro 450 intank, bosch external 1200 for pumps and lines fittings ec

heads (I use cheap 6 bolt cathedral port castings)

600 for the pair

get some truck iconel exh valves, turn down some ls9 intakes (200 for valves, price of a good valve job)

ls6 intake
direct port meth (pumb each intake with a spider direct port to get good fuel distribution)

now you've burned through most of the 15k, but you have something that will go for MANY miles and give you tons of flexibility

if you can afford it, go with E85 from the start and step up the pumps and injectors to 160 and the injectors get cheaper still

I don't disagree that the blower will make the same jam, but after lots of miles on turbo builds I'm happer with them and you don't have to refill the bottle or have quite as strong a bottom end to live with the hp

here is my current "low buck" build

stock 4.8, bored .020 over, wiseco turbo pistons, stronger pins
gen 4 rods with upgraded bolts
stock crank

with the short stroke the stock crank gets stronger and the little thumper can pull up a bit higher to stay in the sweet spot of the turbos longer

I'm a bit limited on turbo size with the ttix kit, but with the huron you can go much bigger on turbos and push over 1500

what you are going to do for a drivetrain then becomes the problem so then your 15k is again out the window.

to do this with a blower the ysi kit is a bit cheaper, but you should get the good stuff on the drive system and I think the 6k is about a wash now that more affordable kits are out there.
Thanks for the breakdown, thats the exact kind of post I was looking for. Ive seen a couple posts on here about turbo 5.3s in a c5 and some of them have run into issues with running too much power in the car and others being quite reliable.

How much did the main ingredients cost on your "low buck" build? Im sure youre constantly doing small little additions but for something that is 700ish and reliable with tunes for the track or street driving, how much would that run me?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:46 AM
c5muscle
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSFW
Are those "consistently down" cars you're thinking of down due to issues with the power adders, or down due to issues with the power? I mean, the pistons / rods / crank / clutch / trans / diff / axles / etc probably don't care too much about whether they're downstream with a turbocharger or a supercharger, they just blow up when whatever it is finds their limits. $15k for power adders seems like more than enough to find a few of the weakest links in that chain.
In most cases its due to running too much power. I was just essentially looking for "the sweet spot" of making a nice amount of power without replacing too many parts. From what Ive read, a turbo on low boost (12-15lbs) with a good setup and meth should be more then reliable for everyday driving and the occasional trip to the track. Do you have any info that says differently? I would prefer to be almost all in for that 15k and have addressed any issues that would effect longevity or reliabliity.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Thanks for the breakdown, thats the exact kind of post I was looking for. Ive seen a couple posts on here about turbo 5.3s in a c5 and some of them have run into issues with running too much power in the car and others being quite reliable.

How much did the main ingredients cost on your "low buck" build? Im sure youre constantly doing small little additions but for something that is 700ish and reliable with tunes for the track or street driving, how much would that run me?
you can get 4.8/5.3 engines for cheap. I drove to NC and picked up an alum 5.3 gen 4 motor for 400 it has the 799 heads which are nice

I use wiseco pistons which are about 700 for the set

balance, hone, short block assembled was 2k counting pistons

on one iron block motor I got an even better deal. bought 1 wiseco, rehoned, fresh rings bearings 1250

there are deals out there with forged pistons these engines will take 800 at the tire whithout much drama on e85

I run about 18.5 psi to make 800 at the tire
c5muscle (03-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Centrifugal Blower vs Turbo (Twin Turbo vs Single)

Old 03-03-2018, 01:10 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Do you have any info that says differently?
I'm not disagreeing - I just got a Corvette a few weeks ago, and I've basically got the same questions you do.

It would be interesting to know at what power level (torque, really) the stock trans, diff, torque tube, and axles become problematic. It seems pretty straightforward to find the cost for making X horsepower, but I'm not at all clear on the cost of drivetrain upgrades to handle X.

Last edited by NSFW; 03-03-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I run about 18.5 psi to make 800 at the tire
What upgrades does the drivetrain need to stay reliable at that point?

Transmission? Torque tube? Driveshaft? Diff? Axles? CV joints? Anything else?

Last edited by NSFW; 03-03-2018 at 08:27 PM.
c5muscle (03-05-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Millennium FRC
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My budget is roughly 15-20k to have a stress free reliable build at low boost. Why would you suggest a ysi for anything under 40k?
Because turbo build budgets can get waaaay out of hand quickly. You were half way through and then decide you want to change this or add that, or do this differently, or fab that this other way, or something didn't quite go as planned.......and before you know it, you're ***** deep but not finished and over budget.

You don't have to spend $40k on a turbo build, but it's an automatic green light for a super nice turbo set up if you couldn't care less about dropping $40K on a build. Make sense?

On the other hand, a low hp (600'ish at the wheels) YSi build is fairly straight forward and can materialize in a 3 day weekend because it's close to being a "buy it and bolt it on" scenario.

1) Order a YSi kit and bolt it on
2) Swap out your fuel pump for a Walbro 450
3) Swap injectors to Bosch 127lb'ers
4) Fill you tank with E85
5) Flatbed your car to your tuner
YOU'RE DONE. GO HAVE FUN.

Quick Reply: Centrifugal Blower vs Turbo (Twin Turbo vs Single)