C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can Hidden - What catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:56 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Default Catch Can Hidden - What catch can?

I'll add pictures when I get home tonight.

I had been using a top model CoSpeed can and CSS. They worked precisely as intended and I have zero complaint about a solid product.

However, where it was mounted was to the back of my blower bracket, which left the can resting above the headers. This was a mild eyesore, but mostly just made it more difficult to reach to drain it since you definitely prefer to wait for the exhaust to cool and then you don't want to be cooking oil off the pipes after.

Where can I put this thing so it is out of the way?

After looking around the forums, I decided to try the nose under the AA radiator panel. With the fmic and air filter there, space was at a premium. I mocked it up and it didn't fit the way I wanted. On a lark, I picked up a used gen 3 pcv MM can. It is almost exactly the same diameter, but the lines in/out are arranged differently and the can eliminated the need for a separate css filter liek the CoSpeed unit had (which looked good, making it a second kind of cool). Well, the can fit the way I wanted so I bent the bracket in such a way to allow me to plant the can firmly into the corner. I wrapped the can in spare Raamat just to reduce chances of rattling or noise against the aluminum shrouds. I'm running 3/8" line on this one since I'm not some monster 1000hp car. In the end, I have four thin lines running cleanly out the passenger side of the engine behind the blower and down to the nose of the car.

I doubt most people would even notice. A nice little stealth install. The engine bay looks a lot less busy, and I can easy drain the can from under the nose now without risking a mess.

Since folks come around often seeking routing info for these kits, here is my setup:
Note: this is for a Gen 3 PCV MM can only. Other brands or perhaps even models from the same manufacturer may differ in ways which would make this ineffective.
Clean side - Driver valve cover barb to filtered blower inlet housing.
Dirty side - Both passenger valve cover barbs to can.
PVC - PVC from intake to can pvc fitting (with one-way check valve on the can)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I have mine mounted on the driver side of the radiator cradle under the headlight... you can't even see it from the engine bay and if it weren't for the lines running from the valve covers you wouldn't even know it's there... I cut a small hole in the access panel to drain it, I can do it without having to raise the car
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

The original setup worked fine and even looked good. Now that I've replaced it, I lament having cut the FRC which my buddy spent so much time sanding and painting for me. I may have to gingerly ask that he do a second one for me now...

Edit: the mess of wires coming through the driver FRC has been alleviated. Now just fuel and methanol line. I rewired the coil lines to branch from the harness near the firewall and connect over from there.

Last edited by Tusc; 06-21-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:51 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

The hoses are now fairly subdued - not sticking up like some odd 3 cylinder distributor cap. LOL. I will probably use some larger zip ties to create a sloppy loom to keep them tight behind the blower. As they transition towards the frame, I have them intertwined with other lines in the area and they will not move.

A view of the can looking down from the hood. Plenty of space to breathe. I drilled and tapped the frame for the bracket which holds it all firmly in the corner.

A thought - the feed lines drawing vapor to the can gravity feed under the air filter and then up slightly by about 2 inches to the can. How strong is the potential that these will develop standing pools of oil? And would that cause an issue with the draw? I am thinking it would not impede the system function but I cannot say with absolute certainty.

I used Goop to seal the mildly loose barb in the inlet housing. This is not permanent. I'm thinking a good fitting with some red lock-tite would work here in its place. What have people used here?

Last edited by Tusc; 06-21-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:05 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have mine mounted off the blower bracket but I’m moving it to the battery area once I relocate the battery to the rear
Old 06-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

I considered the same for the battery weight but decided I won't bother with it until the next clutch or drivetrain removal since I'd run the line along the torque tube cavity above the tunnel plate.

Get notified of new replies

To Catch Can Hidden - What catch can?

Quick Reply: Catch Can Hidden - What catch can?