C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some input on tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:47 PM
Avs126
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need some input on tuning

C5 LS1
A&A v3si
stock internals, long tubes, x pipe, b&b bullets
alkycontrol system, m15 single nozzle

Long story short..got everything installed and got it tuned. Made 530 without meth..was planning on running 100% meth, but tuner convinced me to run boost juice which is 50/50.
Made 537 on 50/50. The **** is set on 3.5.
First, all of the reading I’ve done on here, the alkycontrol **** should be at 4 or greater due to the controller being erratic below 4.
Secondly, shouldn’t it have made more power on the 50/50?
I understand the reasoning behind running 50/50, but now I’m really questioning my decision to not run 100% meth...
What would you do in this situation?

Old 10-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

on a conservative tune at that hp level it probably doesn't really need meth. Tuner recommended boost juice just for safety and to keep it out of detonation which really shouldn't be an issue unless you run junk 91 octane fuel which is all that is available sometimes.

I'm always going to recommend pure meth as it will always give you the cooling and hp you seek. What boost are you running? below 8 psi or so, I don't think meth would do much to help you. you just need a whiff of it at low boost.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:20 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Avs126
C5 LS1
A&A v3si
stock internals, long tubes, x pipe, b&b bullets
alkycontrol system, m15 single nozzle

Long story short..got everything installed and got it tuned. Made 530 without meth..was planning on running 100% meth, but tuner convinced me to run boost juice which is 50/50.
Made 537 on 50/50. The **** is set on 3.5.
First, all of the reading I’ve done on here, the alkycontrol **** should be at 4 or greater due to the controller being erratic below 4.
Secondly, shouldn’t it have made more power on the 50/50?
I understand the reasoning behind running 50/50, but now I’m really questioning my decision to not run 100% meth...
What would you do in this situation?

IMHO
1. Never use 51%+ Meth because of invisible fires/catastrophes possible. There may be some racing applications where the risk is worth the weight, however for most of our 'enthusiast' applications it isn't worth the risk...
2. Water injection component lowers power. Its like pissing on a fire. The water absorbs heat thus reducing EGT and making the engine safer to run. Methanol could be considered a racing fuel, like ethanol, so while it raises octane, it does not help with EGT nor does it cool the components of the engine where it burns.

Your tuner is smart to recommend 50/50 for its octane boosting, and temperature lowering benefit, as a safe liquid that will not create a fire if it starts spraying all over the place. I would keep it 50/50 and if you want more power, turn up the boost. The 50/50 just makes it safer to run more boost- it by itself does not 'add' power nor should you expect additional power 'on' the methanol. Higher octane fuel (i.e. C16 aka leaded aviation fuel for example) does not increase power- it reduces power (higher octane fuel = less power all else equal). It merely allows you to raise the boost or increase the timing in search of more power.

If you cannot turn up the boost for some reason (out of compressor flow- off the map) you can either increase the size of the compressor (upgrade the turbo/blower) or reduce the amount of high octane/water going in (at the risk of getting too hot, or having a violent explosion due to lower octane). Or of course you can always inject more 'air' (nitrous)

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 10-25-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some input on tuning

Quick Reply: Need some input on tuning