C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Oil pan replacement?

So there I was......blower belt snapped or whatever, unfortunately on its way out of the engine compartment it grabbed the blower drain line and yanked the fitting out of the oil pan taking a chunk of the cast aluminum with it. FML. My own fault for not replacing the belt( I knew it was on borrowed time) but I was short on time and trying to move the car from my old house to my new place.

So my question is can I support the engine from the top, drop the cradle and remove the oil pan while the torque tube is still all connected? Or will I have to yank the engine out again. Either way a new pan is in my future. Should I go with a batwing pan or LS2 style pan?

Also was thinking to avoid this ever happening again has anyone plumbed the blower drain into the passenger side of the oil pan staying completely clear of any moving parts lol

Thoughts??

Last edited by LPDesRoche; 10-29-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow surprised its not all oily inside...

That can deffinatley be repaired by any competent AC tig welder.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by LPDesRoche

So there I was......blower belt snapped or whatever, unfortunately on its way out of the engine compartment it grabbed the blower drain line and yanked the fitting out of the oil pan taking a chunk of the cast aluminum with it. FML. My own fault for not replacing the belt( I knew it was on borrowed time) but I was short on time and trying to move the car from my old house to my new place.

So my question is can I support the engine from the top, drop the cradle and remove the oil pan while the torque tube is still all connected? Or will I have to yank the engine out again. Either way a new pan is in my future. Should I go with a batwing pan or LS2 style pan?

Also was thinking to avoid this ever happening again has anyone plumbed the blower drain into the passenger side of the oil pan staying completely clear of any moving parts lol

Thoughts??

Yes you can, I've done it multiple times. I have a bar that has two A frame legs, one on each side, with rubber feet attached the sits on the fenders and supports the motor while you pull the subframe and drop the pan. It's feels a bit sketchy with the legs sitting on top of the fiberglass inner fenders but I've done it a few times and nothing bad has happened yet. I also use a jack/stand under the torque tube for some extra safety.
The following users liked this post:
LPDesRoche (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 08:02 AM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

That's the answer I was hoping to hear. Yeah I have seen that fixture that you are talking about. Looks kinds sketch but it will work. I will do it a bit differently, but same theory.

Leeland
Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a batwing oil pan if you need one.
The following users liked this post:
LPDesRoche (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 08:59 AM
douniasg
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I have done it multiple times. I usually jack the motor up from the torque tube. Remove motor mount bolts and drop the cradle.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:37 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
Yes you can, I've done it multiple times. I have a bar that has two A frame legs, one on each side, with rubber feet attached the sits on the fenders and supports the motor while you pull the subframe and drop the pan. It's feels a bit sketchy with the legs sitting on top of the fiberglass inner fenders but I've done it a few times and nothing bad has happened yet. I also use a jack/stand under the torque tube for some extra safety.
harbor freight sells them. I have one as well, works like a charm.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:50 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Batwing would be better than the LS2....isnt the LS2 considered one of the worst pans ?

Presume you'd also need to get correct pickup pipe too etc.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 10-31-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:17 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Batwing would be better than the LS2....isnt the LS2 considered one of the worst pans ?

Presume you'd also need to get correct pickup pipe too etc.
Worst in what way? I like my LS2 pan a lot, frees up room for turbos and plumbing. On a centri car I suppose that doesn't matter as much, but still makes it easier to install/remove headers, etc.
LS1/LS2/LS3 wet sump pans all use the same pickup and windage tray.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:35 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
Worst in what way? I like my LS2 pan a lot, frees up room for turbos and plumbing. On a centri car I suppose that doesn't matter as much, but still makes it easier to install/remove headers, etc.
LS1/LS2/LS3 wet sump pans all use the same pickup and windage tray.
It's great for space, but it's not supposed to be very good for for trapping oil near the pickup tube when there's a lot of lateral or horizontal acceleration.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:22 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I do a track day now and then, but I'm not trying to set any records. Pretty much just out there to have fun, stress test whatever mods I've done recently, and remind my friends how much faster my car is than their imports. Been to the track twice on the LS2 pan so far, hasn't blown up, but the car doesn't have a race seat, harness, or sticky tires, so I'm not really at the extreme end of the G-force spectrum. I always overfill by 1qt. Based on my experience, I'd say the LS2 pan is fine for moderate track use, but for anyone who is seriously into HPDE or road racing, I agree the batwing pan is a better choice.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:28 PM
lukesc5
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jacked the engine up by the oil pan with a 2x4. Once cradle was out I cut two 4x4 s the same length, drilled one hole on the end of them for my engine mount stud to sit in and sat the engine down on them. Worked great.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pan replacement?

Quick Reply: Oil pan replacement?