C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut down radiators? Cooling issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Cut down radiators? Cooling issues?

I need a new radiator and have been looking at RSD and dewiit. I like the cutdown and plan to use a custom 4 inch intake with my blower. Are there any cooling issues with these? My car is black and on 90 degree days it gets rather hot. RSD is going to have a black friday so now is the time to pick one up. Any experiences?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:01 AM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I am installing a cut down Dewitts here soon, from the research that I have done they seem to work just fine. I also believe Dewitts will be having a 10% off for Black Friday. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:30 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Do you have a link? I spoke with Dewitt’s and they said they are not having one.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

No cooling issues at all. Been running a Dewitts cutdown for 3-4 years
Old 11-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Is cooling the same or dos it flaring cooler?

Im hoping to get no higher than 220 in rush hour with 90 plus but I don’t know it that’s possible in a black c5 with a supercharger.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:32 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
Is cooling the same or dos it flaring cooler?

Im hoping to get no higher than 220 in rush hour with 90 plus but I don’t know it that’s possible in a black c5 with a supercharger.
Is the SC the only mod, other then exhaust I am sure? What temp do you fans come on? I have a SC coming and my car never sees 200 coolent even on hot days after beating the **** out of it. I hope a SC doesn't increase that temp 10 degrees......Now I do see 210 oil temp when beating on it....I had a black car once and sitting in the car gets freakin hot, but never paid any mind to the coolent temp..
Old 11-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

No, it’s long tubes(coated), cam some other stuff. I also think my radiator is original so that not helping. A friend of mine had a similar set up and it didn’t get as hot as mine but he had a Dewitt’s and a silver car.

Im fairly certain 95 percent of my cooling problem is the factory original radiator that is 17years old.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Have you pressure tested the cooling system? An air bubble or small leak can cause coolant temps to get that high.

A set of really high quality fans can work wonders on these cars as well as opening up the front up and building ducting to channel air to the radiator.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:22 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
No, it’s long tubes(coated), cam some other stuff. I also think my radiator is original so that not helping. A friend of mine had a similar set up and it didn’t get as hot as mine but he had a Dewitt’s and a silver car.

Im fairly certain 95 percent of my cooling problem is the factory original radiator that is 17years old.
Understood...Thanks
Old 11-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
Have you pressure tested the cooling system? An air bubble or small leak can cause coolant temps to get that high.

A set of really high quality fans can work wonders on these cars as well as opening up the front up and building ducting to channel air to the radiator.

No I did not.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

No I did not. Cooling system worked well unless it was really hot out and the car wasnt moving. I could even drive in rush hour in 85 plus degrees, it would get so hot the air conditioning would shut off lol. I noticed that the Dewitt fans are also on sale so I was thinking about picking those up as well.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

The dewitts fans should help but I would also recommend pressure testing the system and burping it while you are at it just to ensure you don't have air trapped in the system and/or a leak.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

The dewitts fans should help but I would also recommend pressure testing the system and burping it while you are at it just to ensure you don't have air trapped in the system and/or a leak.

Good idea. LS engine can be a pain to burp. Usually lifting the from end and pouring in coolant in the top hose helps.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:25 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the full Dewitt's setup on my supercharged vette with the oil cooler and it hasn't done much for cooling. The **** still runs hot when I turn on the ac I see 130+ temps. C5's were not built for superchargers and once you toy with the stock airflow it is never the same. Hopefully you are able to keep the stock setup and didn't go front mount.

Get notified of new replies

To Cut down radiators? Cooling issues?

Quick Reply: Cut down radiators? Cooling issues?