C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dewitts Cutdown Radiator leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:13 AM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Dewitts Cutdown Radiator leaking

Has anyone ever seen a leak like this on a Dewitts? Can't really tell where it's coming from. Starts leaking like this on both sides with not even 5 PSI. I bought it used and this happened right after installing. Thanks for any help!!

Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 AM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

I could see some fluid but cant really tell where it was leaking. Is it from the weld? Probably have to get it pressure tested and maybe if you're lucky it can be repaired. That's the good thing at least about a Dewitts is you can weld it.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:00 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Yeh, I can't tell where it's leaking either. Seems to be coming from the inside next to the fins. What I find really weird is how it leaks on both sides.. What are the odds of that??

Last edited by dmaleck; 12-23-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:45 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

This is the header plate. The cooling tubes are brazed into the slots in this plate and you can develop a leak here for a many reasons. One slot can leak on both faces
The following users liked this post:
dmaleck (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:04 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help, Tom. Is this something that can be fixed? and if it can what kind of price am I looking at?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dmaleck
Thanks for the help, Tom. Is this something that can be fixed? and if it can what kind of price am I looking at?
Sometimes you can patch it with epoxy and get more life out of it. It really depends on the exact location and type of failure. A tube-to-header crack could be the result of over pressure from a bad head gasket. In this case, the tubes may be rounded (ballooned) and the fin crushed. If that's the case, the radiator is done. I would test the radiator with pressurized air instead of water. You can use a long narrow pan (see home stores for wall paper trays) with water to check for bubbles and find the exact location. Use this same pan or tray to clean the header from any coolant film, dirt, and oil. A good Alkaline cleaner works great. Most people use way too much epoxy because they are guessing where the leak is but if you take your time and by lowering the air pressure to 1-2 psi you can find exactly where it comes from. Many times 2-3 drops of epoxy can fix a small leak. Use the double scringe epoxy kits. A heat gun will help thin the mixture and make it watery so you can get it to run into an area you can get to. But be careful with the amount of heat you use. The heat also cures the epoxy faster so you only have a few seconds of running the mixture. You only get one shot at this so you might want to practice on something. If you find multiple tubes are leaking you can fill a whole area with epoxy by shooting it in on both sides of the core and using the heat gun to get it roll inside. One manufacturer does this as part of the process. See below

The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (03-21-2021)
Old 12-24-2018, 12:48 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Thanks again Tom! So you would say a leak like this most likely due to a head gasket failure and over pressurizing the radiator? Can't imagine this just leaks like this out of nowhere.
t
Old 12-24-2018, 04:53 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dmaleck
Thanks again Tom! So you would say a leak like this most likely due to a head gasket failure and over pressurizing the radiator? Can't imagine this just leaks like this out of nowhere.
t
No, that just one reason. It could be erosion due to electrolysis or improper coolant balance or just bad water choice. Since was a used radiator it is not considered warranty but if you want to pay the shipping I can inspect, test, and try to repair it at no cost to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@Dewitt:
always faster (01-02-2019), nfantbabyjesus (03-25-2021)
Old 12-26-2018, 08:35 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

I am going to run it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it as you said, we will see what they say about it. I really thank you for your help and knowledge on this!
Old 12-28-2018, 01:02 PM
douniasg
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Great Job! The wrap looks awesome. That is exactly how I use my pool table.lol
Old 03-21-2021, 08:53 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

My C7 Z06 Dewitt radiator is leaking the same. I am calling Dewitts tomorrow. Thanks
Old 03-22-2021, 01:24 AM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@Dewitt
No, that just one reason. It could be erosion due to electrolysis or improper coolant balance or just bad water choice. Since was a used radiator it is not considered warranty but if you want to pay the shipping I can inspect, test, and try to repair it at no cost to you.
thats very generous! My Dewitt cut down is working flawlessly but I like to see support from vendors on the forums.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:02 AM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Yes, Dewitts was awesome. It's been awhile now, but I got a brand new one and it's been working flawlessly.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:18 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

I might have missed it but try a color die. U will see where it's coming from much better.

Get notified of new replies

To Dewitts Cutdown Radiator leaking

Quick Reply: Dewitts Cutdown Radiator leaking