C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any benefit in switching to LS3 coilpacks??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:35 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Any benefit in switching to LS3 coilpacks??

my fiancé got me a set of Holley valve covers for Xmas and I know the spacing is off with out coils vs the coils the covers are made for, is there any benefit to swapping to the newer coil or should I keep running my Ls6 ones and just hold them down with one bolt??
Old 12-27-2018, 06:50 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I would not mount them down with 1 bolt. Seems like there would be vibrations that would not be good for them. I have never seen anything that showed the ls3 coils were better but they could be and I just down know it. The problem is going to be the plugs for the wiring harness are different I believe. Also there is something about how different coils fire and its called dwell I believe. I believe you had to adjust your tune if they are different dwell. I would look into seeing if Holley makes a set that fits your coils you have already. Another option might be the Holley coils. Although they might require a retune as well.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:32 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The valve covers are only spaced for LS3 style coils. I know there are dudes around running them with one bolt and reporting no problems (so far). I’m not worried about wiring that’s an easy fix and the coil dwell is something I was aware of too. The entire drivetrain is out right now getting an LS3/PG swap so the tune is going to have to be redone in its entirety as it is lol
Old 12-28-2018, 03:22 AM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been running Holley valve covers with 1 bolt on the coils for about 5 years now, not a single problem, actually it's an advantage, easier and faster to remove coils when working on that area
Old 12-28-2018, 12:48 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Any reason you couldn’t use a wire tie for the second bolt if your really worried about it?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:30 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

or you could clean it up altogether with a relocate
Old 01-27-2021, 04:48 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I took a grinder and opened up the bolt holes on both side and they bolt in just fine now with a little washer. I didn't like the "one hole look" and it was a simple mod.

Like advice for remote mounting, pulling the fender seems daft and puts the coils in a spot that's hard to maintain. Plenty of room in other spots.

I'm looking to relocate the battery and use that space on one side and make a box for the other side that snugs up under the brake.

The LSX (3-9) coils of the 510 variety are high quality and cheap, and with the right wiring harness are plug and play so I'll upgrade down the road.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:18 PM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

making 1k+ on ls6 coils and my tuner has not complained. As far as I can tell they are original 23 year old 40k mile units.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:23 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

when you look at the raw numbers, the truck round coils with heat sink and the newer 510 coils make more energy

but you can only light it but so good and if the ls1 coils work it's hard to argue success

the coil on plug stuff is so much better than old style stuff that it's pretty hard to blow out the candle

run a narrow spark gap and should be good to go. I switched back to my ls6 coils as I liked the look better and the car runs great with them

I trimmed the ears and put them on the holley covers and they look great!!! Thinking of the 510 coils as the vendor does a better job of painting or powdercoating than I did and they are indeed a hotter coil

I would guess that until you are up in the big spank area over 1200-1400 before the ls1 coils have trouble. Amazing!!

Get notified of new replies

To Any benefit in switching to LS3 coilpacks??

Quick Reply: Any benefit in switching to LS3 coilpacks??