C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer and Cam Swap...this estimate seems high?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:34 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Harmonic Balancer and Cam Swap...this estimate seems high?

Hi all, so I I have a 2002, MN6, with 102,000 miles on the car. It has an A&A V3 Si 3.8 pulley w/Big Bubba 50mm Blow Off Valve, Standard 6 Rib belt setup on it. It also has BTR Dual Springs w/titanium retainers, Comp Cams Trunion Kit, Hardened Pushrods, LG 1.75” Headers, Corsa Touring Exhaust w/high flow cats, McLeod RST Dual Clutch, and a Mighty Mouse Catch Can. It has the stock bottom end of motor, Stock MN6 Transmission, Stock Original Torque Tube and bushings, Stock Rear End and Output shafts.

All supercharger work was done 2 years ago at 94,000 miles and I know I should of had the balancer swapped out back then! So now the cars balancer I believe is starting to go. I see some definite wobble in it. I got 2 estimates from my local shop. Being I already have the dual springs, trunion kit and hardened pushrods I figured this would save me some cash for parts and labor when comparing this job to my brothers cam swap job. His shop charged $2600 total minus the oil pump and water pump but he bought the balancer cam, springs and pushrods. I will need a new balancer, crank bolt and pinning kit, C5R timing chain, oil pump and water pump. Obviously the labor and tuning as well. So with that, do these estimates seem accurate for labor time and cost? Is it that because i am supercharged that is really ramping the labor hours up? Need some input from the supercharger guys. Thanks!

For the two separate estimates here is what we have

--Just the Balancer
-- 12 hours labor at $95/hr = $1140
ATI Pulley = $395
ATI Pin Kit = $124
Total Estimate = $1,659 + tax

________________________________________ ___________________________

For the second estimate --
It would includes either an LS3 Supercharged Cam, or the CCP Jam cam -- YouTube to see which one you liked better from a sound standpoint. It would also include fluids, gaskets, the C5R timing chain, new oil pump, waterpump, and the A&A pulley.
-- 34 hours of labor at $95/hr = $3,230
Parts = $1,210.
Total estimate $4,440 plus taxes

Last edited by XtremeVette; 03-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 AM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The second est sounds closer. The parts sound just about spot on. 34 hrs sounds like they are unsure about how long it will take them. Maybe they have never worked on a car with a a and a kit on it. If your pulling the ballancer it’s not that much more work to get to the cam so I would say labor hrs should be somewhere between the first and second est. 95 an hr is a good deal for a reputable speed shop.

Last edited by evileight; 03-14-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Both seem high to me, but then again, I do almost all my work on my own lift with the help of a Mec...

Dropping the front cradle and getting the rack out of the way enough to address the dampner is a bit of a job, but very doable in half a day for an experienced Mec.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Both of those seem pretty high. On a stock C5 the balancer is only like a 4 hour job.........don't know how he's getting an extra 8 hours working around the blower as it should probably stay put for this job. Same with it being 34 hours for the cam swap working around the blower.......I just don't see it. Make sure this shop isn't piling the hours on each other per individual component.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer and Cam Swap...this estimate seems high?

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer and Cam Swap...this estimate seems high?