C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Boost Controller recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:24 AM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Manual Boost Controller recommendations...

Replaced an old leaking TurboXS manual boost controller with a brand spanking new Grimmspeed and its leaking, zero miles. I need a good one that doesnt leak, 30+ psi. Going on my wifes little 4 cylinder and there isnt an active Caliber SRT4 forum anymore. Thought Id ask the pros!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ascastil
Replaced an old leaking TurboXS manual boost controller with a brand spanking new Grimmspeed and its leaking, zero miles. I need a good one that doesnt leak, 30+ psi. Going on my wifes little 4 cylinder and there isnt an active Caliber SRT4 forum anymore. Thought Id ask the pros!
Turbosmart.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:36 AM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

I had only read reviews on Turbosmart but dont have any experience with them. Read about those leaking too. I guess now I know of 2 that will leak, GS and TurboXS. Ill look into it.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:36 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Where was it leaking, and how did you find the leak? I am using a GS on my C5, and it seems fine, but I'm hardly pushing it at 10psi.

If I recall correctly, the Turbosmart is an adjustable bleed orifice, with a weak, non-adjustable (like ~3psi) spring and check ball. Most others that I know of (GS, Hallman, etc.) are just an adjustable spring and check ball with a fixed orifice. I think the Turbosmart design is supposed to reduce boost spiking? Not really sure whether either style is superior.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:50 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Ok update. So I jumped the gun and looked closer where it was leaking. I thought it was from the **** but there is a tiny tiny hole that is supposed to leak a little thats just under the ****. Called GS and they said its a safety feature. Guess Ill try it. Trying to seal up boost leaks and find one thats supposed to be there.

On a sidenote, the TurboXS was really messed up. Leaked real bad from the **** area. Id also keep turning up the boost on that one and it wouldnt go passed 26psi, not really sure why. Id keep turning it one wot pull at a time, no difference in boost.

Last edited by ascastil; 04-02-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

What size spring is in the wastegate? Most of these only allow you to run double the spring pressure on an external gate before they start leaking or having other issues.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep, sounds like you found the bleed orifice on the GS, you want that to be there so you don't trap pressure between the boost controller and the wastegate diaphragm when the check ball closes. The size of that orifice also plays a role in the boost spike/dip behavior of the controller. The amount of air it will leak is negligible compared to what your engine is pumping Good luck!
Old 04-02-2019, 01:59 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
What size spring is in the wastegate? Most of these only allow you to run double the spring pressure on an external gate before they start leaking or having other issues.
Tial wastegate, 13lb spring for now. Just going to turn it up to 26psi. It's a new wastegate and I was told rule of thumb to double the spring pressure on the wastegate to what boost you want to run. I think I phrased that right lol. Anyways, 13lb spring x2 equals 26psi lol.

Last edited by ascastil; 04-02-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Tial wastegate, 13lb spring for now. Just going to turn it up to 26psi. It's a new wastegate and I was told rule of thumb to double the spring pressure on the wastegate to what boost you want to run. I think I phrased that right lol. Anyways, 13lb spring x2 equals 26psi lol.
What is the minimum amount of boost you intend to run? The less work you ask the boost controller to do the better.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:20 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
What is the minimum amount of boost you intend to run? The less work you ask the boost controller to do the better.
Idk, I'd say the minimum would be 20. It's weird because the turbo seems like it's on or off, no in between. We were also told when we went all out on the build it's either wot or not due to bending rods. So it's either cruising or mashing the pedal. Once the pedal is pushed to the floor, its max boost what I set it on. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Idk, I'd say the minimum would be 20. It's weird because the turbo seems like it's on or off, no in between. We were also told when we went all out on the build it's either wot or not due to bending rods. So it's either cruising or mashing the pedal. Once the pedal is pushed to the floor, its max boost what I set it on. Hope that makes sense.
Shoot me a PM with some more details on the SRT4, I actually used to own a big turbo SRT4 neon almost a decade ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Boost Controller recommendations...

Quick Reply: Manual Boost Controller recommendations...