C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else for ECS cam on A&A C5 w/ 70k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:53 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What else for ECS cam on A&A C5 w/ 70k miles?

I have a 2001 A4 with around 70k miles and an A&A V2 kit with a 3.8 pulley installed about 2-3k miles ago. The only other modification is TSP long tube headers. I cross threaded the #7 spark plug and pulled the driver's side head to get it repaired. I have some time off and decided to tackle a cam install. I am trying to put together a parts list of things that are mandatory as well as things that are worth doing while I have the car apart. I have a second vehicle, but I use the Vette as my daily driver and I plan to for the next 4 years at around 10k miles per year with 60-70% being HW miles. I have no plans to track the car and my goals for the car are a reliable 600 rwhp daily driver. After installing the cam, I have time scheduled with a shop to install a transmission cooler, Transgo shift kit, 3400 stall converter, 3.42 rear end and then dyno tune.

Parts I must replace:
1. Head bolts (driver's side only; new OEM) (purchased)
2. Head gasket (driver's side only; assuming OEM MLS)
3. Driver's side header studs
4. Cam bolt
5. Front cover gasket
6. Dual springs (purchased)
7. Chromoly pushrods (purchased)
8. Cam w/ titanium retainers (purchased)

Parts I'm wondering if I should replace:

1. Driver's side header gasket (can I reuse the old one, it has ~20k miles on it)
2. Remanufactured OEM power steering pump/ reservoir (is this necessary?)
3. Remanufactured OEM water pump (source for 2001 factory water pump? Is this necessary)
4. New LS2 timing chain (car is daily driver with no track use-is this really necessary or is stock fine?)
5. If LS2 timing chain, is a damper needed?
6. Remanufactured OEM oil pump?
7. Lifters?

I'm on budget and unfortunately cannot afford to just replace/upgrade everything, but I would like to replace the parts the are most likely to need replaced by 110,000 miles. I appreciate the suggestions
Old 04-08-2019, 01:57 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRaySomeDay
I have a 2001 A4 with around 70k miles and an A&A V2 kit with a 3.8 pulley installed about 2-3k miles ago. The only other modification is TSP long tube headers. I cross threaded the #7 spark plug and pulled the driver's side head to get it repaired. I have some time off and decided to tackle a cam install. I am trying to put together a parts list of things that are mandatory as well as things that are worth doing while I have the car apart. I have a second vehicle, but I use the Vette as my daily driver and I plan to for the next 4 years at around 10k miles per year with 60-70% being HW miles. I have no plans to track the car and my goals for the car are a reliable 600 rwhp daily driver. After installing the cam, I have time scheduled with a shop to install a transmission cooler, Transgo shift kit, 3400 stall converter, 3.42 rear end and then dyno tune.

Parts I must replace:
1. Head bolts (driver's side only; new OEM) (purchased)
2. Head gasket (driver's side only; assuming OEM MLS)
3. Driver's side header studs
4. Cam bolt
5. Front cover gasket
6. Dual springs (purchased)
7. Chromoly pushrods (purchased)
8. Cam w/ titanium retainers (purchased)

Parts I'm wondering if I should replace:

1. Driver's side header gasket (can I reuse the old one, it has ~20k miles on it) YOU CAN REUSE IT
2. Remanufactured OEM power steering pump/ reservoir (is this necessary?) DONT BOTHER WITH IT UNLESS IT IS GIVING YOU PROBLEMS
3. Remanufactured OEM water pump (source for 2001 factory water pump? Is this necessary) WOULDN'T HURT BUT PROBABLY UNNECESSARY. COULD ALWAYS HAVE THE PULLEY WELDED WHILE YOU HAVE THE CAR APART TO AVOID THAT FAILURE POINT
4. New LS2 timing chain (car is daily driver with no track use-is this really necessary or is stock fine?) GET THE ELITE CHAIN DRIVE FOR PEACE OF MIND
5. If LS2 timing chain, is a damper SEE ABOVE
6. Remanufactured OEM oil pump? I WOULD REPLACE THE OEM PUMP WHILE YOU ARE IN THERE DOING THE CAM
7. Lifters? HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING THESE WHILE DOING THE CAM.

I'm on budget and unfortunately cannot afford to just replace/upgrade everything, but I would like to replace the parts the are most likely to need replaced by 110,000 miles. I appreciate the suggestions
See my responses in bold.
The following users liked this post:
DrRaySomeDay (04-09-2019)

Quick Reply: What else for ECS cam on A&A C5 w/ 70k miles?