C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried alcohol/wWater injection to cool intake air temp on Magnuson?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 10:52 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Has anyone tried alcohol/water injection to cool intake air temp on Magnuson?

One of the things I'm exploring is alcohol/water injection to try to cool the intake air temperature on my supercharger. I'm curious if anyone has tried it. I've been told that it will cool the air temperature considerably and possibly give me an additional 10-15 rwhp. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on it?

[Modified by DevilDog, 3:52 AM 5/9/2003]
Old 05-08-2003, 11:55 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone tried alcohol/water injection to cool intake air temp on Magnuson? (DevilDog)

I’m not sure where you could spray or how it would work on a Magnuson style blower. It might cause damage to the blower internals. It works well on turbo and centrifugal setups, but you really don't get much more power unless you get more aggressive with the timing. If done right, it can give you way more than 15hp.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:28 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone tried alcohol/water injection to cool intake air temp on Magnuson? (DevilDog)

I played around with water/windshield washer fluid (alcohol) and also straight water on my roots supercharged Rx7. Its been a while, but if I remember correctly it provided an INSTANT drop of around 75F degrees.

From what I've read, it won't give you additional power on its own (due to the energy absorbed by evaporation), BUT the cooler temps did allow me to run more timing and lean out the air/fuel ratio. Both of which gave me a good increase in power.

I built my own controller circuit based on throttle position. You could also do it on manifold pressure, or a combination of the two. I wanted to keep it simple to minimize the possibility of a failure.

An easy test is to just unplug the hose out of the winshield washer bottle and direct it to a vacuum port on the throttle body. You'll need to put a restriction in the line to reduce the water flow (at least I had to on the little rotary). You'll also want to unplug the windshield wiper motor. Take the car out, put it in boost and hit the windshield washer.

I had thermocouples mounted below the supercharger to measure the pressure drop. I kept reducing the water flow till I wasn't getting as much temp drop. Then I just added more flow till it was back at max delta T.

The liquid in the supercharger will also help the rotors / housing seal better.

I was using a Camden supercharger (teflon lined, three lobe, straight rotors). It displaced 114ci, on the 80ci rotary, and overdriven by 40%. The supercharger would be SCREAMING at my 8000 rpm shifts :-)
Old 05-09-2003, 11:10 PM
MyVice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone tried alcohol/water injection to cool intake air temp on Magnuson? (Rx7Rob)

I played around with water/windshield washer fluid (alcohol) and also straight water on my roots supercharged Rx7. Its been a while, but if I remember correctly it provided an INSTANT drop of around 75F degrees.

From what I've read, it won't give you additional power on its own (due to the energy absorbed by evaporation), BUT the cooler temps did allow me to run more timing and lean out the air/fuel ratio. Both of which gave me a good increase in power.

I built my own controller circuit based on throttle position. You could also do it on manifold pressure, or a combination of the two. I wanted to keep it simple to minimize the possibility of a failure.

An easy test is to just unplug the hose out of the winshield washer bottle and direct it to a vacuum port on the throttle body. You'll need to put a restriction in the line to reduce the water flow (at least I had to on the little rotary). You'll also want to unplug the windshield wiper motor. Take the car out, put it in boost and hit the windshield washer.

I had thermocouples mounted below the supercharger to measure the pressure drop. I kept reducing the water flow till I wasn't getting as much temp drop. Then I just added more flow till it was back at max delta T.

The liquid in the supercharger will also help the rotors / housing seal better.

I was using a Camden supercharger (teflon lined, three lobe, straight rotors). It displaced 114ci, on the 80ci rotary, and overdriven by 40%. The supercharger would be SCREAMING at my 8000 rpm shifts :-)
GREAT INFORMATION!!!! :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone tried alcohol/wWater injection to cool intake air temp on Magnuson?

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried alcohol/wWater injection to cool intake air temp on Magnuson?