C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow-off v Bypass Unneeded supercharged air

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 01:48 PM
DeViL
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blow-off v Bypass Unneeded supercharged air

I thought I would route the bypassed air back into the intake air cleaner. Why waste the filtered, pressurized air? Why not let it assist the supercharger by front-loading the supercharger, rather than the supercharger having to "suck" unfiltered air in through the filter? I realize the bypassed air will be warmer than ambient air since it has been compressed and bypassed the intercooler, but remember, this will only be the case when the engine is really not needing the coldest, densest air for full power. It seems to me that recycling the compressed air would help to reduce the parasitic drag of the supercharger which, without a clutch, must compress all the time when the engine is running.

Any thoughts? Anyone else tried this? Why havn't the purported supercharging experts, Vortech and ATI, done this? Just too cheap?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:09 PM
TomC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blow-off v Bypass Unneeded supercharged air (DeViL)

Sounds like you are trying to build the elusive perpetual motion machine. The blow off valve is open when there is more air being produced than the engine can consume. As an example when you have done a full throttle acceleration and then take your foot off the accelerator the throttle body closes but because the supercharger that is mechanically connected to the engine it will continue to make boost. With nowhere for the air to go it is “blown off”. The opposite is also true that when you are accelerating the blow off is closed providing maximum volume of air to the engine.
Your idea might work as an air cleaner – cleaner as the blow off air will have nowhere else to go other than out through the air cleaner
Tom
Old 05-15-2003, 06:42 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Blow-off v Bypass Unneeded supercharged air (DeViL)

The parasitic drag is really only present when the valve is closed and the blower is producing boost.

You also need a constant vacuum source for the PVC system and the inlet side of the blower is the only place to get a constant vacuum. Putting the blowoff into the inlet would eliminate that vacuum under certain conditions. Not sure it would matter, but I think you are better off keeping it the way it is.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:19 PM
402Sam
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blow-off v Bypass Unneeded supercharged air (QuickSilver2002)

I think that Grand Nationals are set up this way. No blow off.

Get notified of new replies

To Blow-off v Bypass Unneeded supercharged air

Quick Reply: Blow-off v Bypass Unneeded supercharged air