C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:56 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,708 Likes on 1,669 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Default 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared

After reading the post by BlackSun and his horror stories along with all the other stories of things that have gone wrong with FI, you all have me scared of doing any HP upgrades. BlackSun, I feel for you, I really do.
Does anyone out there do a reliable upgrade? I live in Iowa but I'm willing to go to either coast if that what it takes to not go through the hassles. I was considering the ATI single intercooler from Andy at A&A but now I'm looking for some positive reasurance. Yes, I know the 427TT is the best but I'm looking to spend less than 10Gs total. I'm open to any and all ideas. Thank you. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 07-06-2003, 10:14 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (knewblewkorvette)

While I have had a HORRIBLE NIGHTMARISH experience with a different vendor. Chris and Doug at ECS were GODSENDS in repairing the damage to my vehicle and making it better than new.

If you choose ECS, you can't go wrong! :cheers:

I'm sure there are other awesome vendors as well, but ECS I have personal experience with.

Don't let one person's bad experience stop you from working on your car. Use their experience to help make a better judgement! :cool:

Best of luck with your decision!!
Old 07-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Dave00C5
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well lets just say my magnuson install at LPE didn't quite work out either. :crazy:
Old 07-06-2003, 10:36 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (Dave00C5)

OK.. scratch 2 vendors off your list! :lolg:

At least it will be easier to choose now! Less choices! :jester

[Modified by MyFirstCorvette, 10:37 PM 7/6/2003]
Old 07-06-2003, 11:05 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

:sad: :cry :sad: :cry :( :( :cry :sad: :cry :sad:
One good experience and two bad experiences, not good so far. There has to be more of you out there that has had good luck with a tuner. Please tell me about it. I'm going from scared to :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Old 07-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

to your question......Does anyone out there do a reliable upgrade? I say RUN AWAY...........sometime it's a crap shoot, some get lucky some don't and I would never do it if it was your daily driver. Power and upgrades come with a price. If you look at it this way you will know what you are getting into. When and if my bottom end goes I will upgrade it, that's the way I look at it. I might be wrong but I have seen alot of heart broken people doing mods looking for no problems. GOOD LUCK TO YOU :cheers: It can be :D and it can be :cry

[Modified by Z06GMAN, 10:12 PM 7/6/2003]
Old 07-06-2003, 11:30 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

10 grand is a lot of money. You can do quite a bit to your car for that kind of cash. But, take it from me and plenty of others that have gone the full Supercarger or Turbo route, it can get a bit more expensive. Make a lot calls talk to a bunch of people and do your homework. Big horsepower cars don't come cheap.
Good luck,
JB
Old 07-07-2003, 01:00 AM
BlackSun!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (jbsblownc5)

knewblewkorvette,

I know people personally that have the LPE Magnuson SC Package, MTI 427, ATI Pro charger, Several head cam cars and Cerra Single Turbo Owners. Like everyone has stated, It is a long hard road. I did not know that fully going into this. I REALLY did think it was as simple as taking your car getting the work done and then going out to have some fun zipping around. I did know I would have to replace the trans pretty quickly. As you know I am having problems with my Cerra Single right now. I have to say though Mike/Cerra for the most part have been helpful. I really cannot really slam them on not trying to help me out. My car is in their shop for a third time right now. But as everyone has been saying when is enough, enough? So this will probably be my last trip there and we have agreed to talk about taking it off they cannot get it going this time. I am in contact with 5 Cerra Single Turbo owners that are having NO problems. Besides replacing rearends and clutches. :D All the cars are manuals on the other installs and they are fine! They range from Z06's to LS1's. I do believe, although Mike doesn't, that some of the problems stem from mine being an automatic. But anyways. Do your homework and try to go for as many rides as possible in the packages you are interested in. Since you are not that far from Cerra I would tell you to take a ride and go meet Mike and check out his shop. He will let you know what is up about the Turbo and take you out in his car.

Good luck!!! :auto:
Old 07-07-2003, 01:15 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (jbsblownc5)

You need a shop near you if you don't plan on being hands on. I think the setup and shops you are looking at are the best choices (A&A or ECS), but what happens when something goes wrong (and it will).

You either need to be prepared to work on it yourself or be close to someone who can.

BTW, it sounds like you should stay away from the turbo setups. Although they are probably the best power adder, the complexity is high and there is a lot more that can go wrong. I would give the low cost ls1 turbos a few more years to work the bugs out.

[Modified by QuickSilver2002, 12:23 AM 7/7/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Bad Bob
Racer

KB, I sent you an IM please give me a call I have some options for you. Bob
Old 07-07-2003, 10:48 AM
BigLew
Burning Brakes

Got to put my $.02 in here. I bought my Mag from Nate when he was with Extreme/ long story. I haven't turned any wrenches in 20 years but have no good shops around here anywhere and it seemed the best bet. Was a very simple job and had Extreme to to the computer and the local chevy to pin the crank. Haven't had any trouble after 3 trips to BG and back. Mine is also a 6 speed :cheers:
Old 07-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (BigLew)

Not everyone has problems. I have an A&A single intercooler ATI setup. The only maintenance I have done is to change the S/C oil and change the engine oil.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

I know for a fact that you will not have any problems with A&A, keep in mind though if you do not account for hi boost you will loose pistons with any FI setup or NOS for that matter. If you want increased hp without going into your motor internally (minor internal) I would suggest Heads & Cam, now for bolt ons...There are only 2 S/C setups I would suggest A&A's ATI setup in the West and East Coast Supercharging in the East, at the manufactures recommended boost application. Xtreme is also selling the TTi, my car is getting fitted with the TTi...so far the TTi has delivered impressive numbers on stock bottom end motors. Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:24 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (Shinobi'sZ)

Pick a tuner with a great reputation that has also been installing an FI product for almost as long as the FI produt has been out and that will be the best you can do.

Andy, Extreme or LPE are all safe bets as far as Tuners. But noone can guarantee that things won't happen, those are just the risks. However, the above three will support you, you can bet on it.

If you really want to read FI Nighmares hop on the LS1 (f-body) forum where they buy these FI kits for like $3500-$4000 from tuners that offer lousy support. If I had an F-body Rob Raymer (LS1 Motorsports) would be the only tuner that I would buy FI from and install.

Remember, the C5 is still in infancy with respect to most FI Packages. And as far as TT's are concerned, LPE is the only proven TT out there, whether people want to hear it or not, until TTi gets some installs going. I think TTi will succeed - it just depends how quickly it will happen. If I were you and had to take a 10K risk, it would be either the magnacharger or the TTi product. If I wanted less risk, then that would mean the LPE TT, but it would be lots more $$$.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:31 PM
torchredvette99
Advanced

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (MarkFLC5)

If you really want to read FI Nighmares hop on the LS1 (f-body) forum where they buy these FI kits for like $3500-$4000 from tuners that offer lousy support. If I had an F-body Rob Raymer (LS1 Motorsports) would be the only tuner that I would buy FI from and install.

:iagree: 100% :D BUT I will try him with my C5!

I met Rob last Thursday and we determined to install a D-1SC (7psi) and 6.0 heads on my 99 C5 in October. Super nice guy, very down to earth and upfront. Plus he has a dyno 5 minutes away! We've also discussed a forged bottom end after the stock goes... the price of FI but hey if you want to play...
Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (torchredvette99)

________________________________________ ___________________

:iagree: 100% :D BUT I will try him with my C5!

I met Rob last Thursday and we determined to install a D-1SC (7psi) and 6.0 heads on my 99 C5 in October. Super nice guy, very down to earth and upfront. Plus he has a dyno 5 minutes away! We've also discussed a forged bottom end after the stock goes... the price of FI but hey if you want to play...
Has he finally come out with a Single for the C5? I remember he was going to start on the project around Spring.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:05 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

For what your talking about, I would consider a head/cam from a reputable shop. These seem to have a better chance of being more reliable.

Get notified of new replies

To 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared

Old 07-07-2003, 11:19 PM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details

I had a great experience installing an ATI twin intercooled system on my 99. The installer did a great job and offers good support. He is an ATI distributor so he knows the product. My car runs great and has for the 2000 miles since the install. :D

However, it's a fact of life that with any FI setup the stock bottom end may and probably will eventually go. :sad: To prepare for this I have already started putting money aside for a forged bottom end. I figure it's just the price I will pay for mad H/P :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 07-08-2003, 02:56 AM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (SleepieAce)

With a $10K budget the only FI system that you should even consider is a Mag. especially if it is a daily driver. There's more to these systems than unit purchase and install; Tires(and lots of rears), hood for the Mag, eventually a new clutch, tuning, fuel system, exhaust system, if you exceed 500rwhp or 5-6psi on an ATI you'll need a forged bottom VERY soon, etc. As for the turbo's...they're out of your price once completed as is a truely complete ATI system.
I was baited by the ATI price of $5K and I'm substantially deeper into it than that at this time.
Definitely consider a solid H/C system with a small shot of spray for $10K.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:32 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

'23-'24

Default Re: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared (SleepieAce)

SleepieAce
Can I ask where you had your install done?
Also, can you tell me what all is involved in a forged bottom end?

:confused:
Thanks to all who have responded so far. As you all know and have been saying that I need to be informed well before making any purchases.
So far it sounds like head/cam package, intake,headers and exhaust are the only for sure reliable upgrades unless you got the big$$ which I don't.
N02 is not an option for me, custom stereo took up the interior, I will post pictures when I get my car back. It was supposed to take 3 to 4 weeks to install and now they say 5 to 6 weeks. Anyhow, approx what kind of HP would I be looking at with just the reliable upgrades? Would I still be under 10K? Anymore recommendations are welcome. Thanks again. Jay
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Quick Reply: 5+ months at Cerra, now I'm scared