C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnuson + what for more power

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 02:17 PM
gmf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default magnuson + what for more power

Thought I'd start a thread on possible ways to get more power out of a magnuson car.

1) Heads/Cam - This seems like a pretty sweet setup, but not sure I feel like doing this. Frankly, I might not do any more power mods (So I told myself, yeah, right :lol:)

2) Cam only - Reading through the old posts. I only know of 21st with some unknown cam that works with the magnuson. No one has a cam+magnuson out there? That seems surprising..

3) More boost - At some point we will see more people with smaller pulleys. I anxiously await to hear peoples woes and tales of glory. I guess the general opinion is up to about 6-6.5 boost is it before detonation is an issue??

4) Intercooled - Did you all see the thread on tech/performance about this? Seems like magnuson is making an IC. Wow...how big a new hood will we need then? :lol: I already have NO clearance. :( :crazy: Seems like a great idea but I couldn't imagine the hi-res being another 2 inches PLUS for clearance. :eek:
Is there any other way to do a cooler? I guess an air to air and have it before the charger? How effective is that? I don't know much about this technically..Would it really help the IAT to cool the air before it goes into the blower instead of on the way out?
:confused:

Hopefully me and others interested in this topic will hear from some folks who are a bit more tech savy then me. :D

:cheers:
Old 07-19-2003, 02:43 PM
STAGED
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: magnuson + what for more power (gmf)

If one is going with the higher drive ratio S/C side pulley, then I suggest it'd be done with a cam with an LSA of 114 deg. The drivability compromise is barely there plus you'll be able to limit the boost (charge air temp) rise when moving to the smaller pulley. Narrower LSA --> lower boost for the given air flow --> lower charge air temp --> maintain the most aggressive possible timing curve for given fuel.

In fact, I'd recommend a smaller pulley with a smaller LSA cam and if you have deep enough pockets lower CR PORTED truck heads (+ some more chamber work to get to ~9.5:1 CR), and the freest possible flowing exhaust possible (this means dual 3" cats or no cats). The ported heads, narrower LSA cam, and free flowing exhaust will keep the boost levels at the lowest for given airflow moved. The 9.5:1 CR will ensure that one can keep a reasonably aggressive timing curve without resorting to excessively rich A/F ratios.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:05 PM
gmf
Burning Brakes

Default Re: magnuson + what for more power (STAGED)

If one is going with the higher drive ratio S/C side pulley, then I suggest it'd be done with a cam with an LSA of 114 deg. The drivability compromise is barely there plus you'll be able to limit the boost (charge air temp) rise when moving to the smaller pulley. Narrower LSA --> lower boost for the given air flow --> lower charge air temp --> maintain the most aggressive possible timing curve for given fuel.

In fact, I'd recommend a smaller pulley with a smaller LSA cam and if you have deep enough pockets lower CR PORTED truck heads (+ some more chamber work to get to ~9.5:1 CR), and the freest possible flowing exhaust possible (this means dual 3" cats or no cats). The ported heads, narrower LSA cam, and free flowing exhaust will keep the boost levels at the lowest for given airflow moved. The 9.5:1 CR will ensure that one can keep a reasonably aggressive timing curve without resorting to excessively rich A/F ratios.
Do you know anyone who has done either of your suggested setups? If/when I ever do more mods I'd like to not be the first. :) Guess I like to see a proven setup.

Thanks for the post though! Very informative and a great addition to my library/food for thought!

:cheers:
Old 07-19-2003, 09:31 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

50 Shot of Nitrous.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:35 PM
GraveDigger
Pro

My car was dropped off today at 21Century for lower compression heads and blower cam, clutch, hardened output shaft, and smaller pulley. I will post results. Keep your fingers crossed.

Tod :D
Old 07-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Tiger Shark
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

* lower compression
* better intake exhaust flow
* higher boost
* intercooler
Old 07-19-2003, 11:22 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: magnuson + what for more power (Tiger Shark)

I believe the Magnuson custom Intake Manifold is the main restriction. Too small/short due to hood clearance.

Since you can't fit an intercooler on there, again will note small shots of Nitrous to act as an intercooler, or you could consider Water/Alky injection and a smaller Eaton Pulley.

[Modified by MelloYellow, 11:22 PM 7/19/2003]
Old 07-20-2003, 09:15 AM
John's vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

4) Intercooled - Did you all see the thread on tech/performance about this? Seems like magnuson is making an IC. Wow...how big a new hood will we need then? :lol: I already have NO clearance. :( :crazy: Seems like a great idea but I couldn't imagine the hi-res being another 2 inches PLUS for clearance.
If they could come up with a intercooler that does not require a even bigger hood, these things would fly off the shelves.

Smaller pully, and intercooler would be cheap ways to improve power.

Get notified of new replies

To magnuson + what for more power

Quick Reply: magnuson + what for more power