C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI vs. Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 12:42 PM
bigSS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (YELLOHHH)

I'd rather ********** with an handful of broken glass than put myself through what MANY ATI guys have gone through.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Z06 Tom
Pro

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (hogurt)

Both systems are strong. Unfortunately, most people will just vote for the one they have!

The key is getting a good installer/tuner! :cheers:
:iagree: Quite true. Both systems have intrinsic problems. The Vortech requires relocation of many belt driven components. When you start moving all this stuff around, alignment is critical. DTE did my set up and had to work through some serpentine belt issues. After eating two or three belts, Vortech told Phil at DTE that they had discovered that there is a potential problem caused by head width. It seems that GM manufacturing tolerances allow for some variation in head width. While this is of no concern in stock configuration, it can be a problem when you start bolting new brackets in place and trying to get it all to line up correctly.

With the alignment issue out of the way we had to deal with another belt issue. When the car would hit the rev limiter, it would bounce the belt off. This would result in one hell of a mess. Phil ended up going to a slightly shorter belt then the one Vortech supplied with the kit. The new, shorter belt put the tensioner right where it should be with a new belt.

So far the car has run great with no problems. Phil and Jeromy at DTE did a great job working through all the problems. As stated before, a good tuner really does make all the differance.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (VortechC5)

Oh no, two members with VortechC5 for a user name. This will be confusing...
You had your name first he should change his!!!! :rant:
Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (Racer44)

Again???????????????????????????? :rolleyes: :_dupe: :_dupe: :_dupe:
:lolg: I think we set a record!
Old 12-05-2003, 09:51 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (MARK's_C5TT)

I probably have installed more of both than just about anyone in the country. I do about 3:1 Prochargers to Vortechs. The Vortech is more labor intensive but works great just the way it is supplied from Vortech. I believe I was the first tuner to install one, other than Vortech. There were a few glitches that I discussed with Chris ( the head engineer that designed the system) and they were fixed right away. If you're looking for 500 RWHP the Vortech is great.
If you have aspirations of 600 RWHP or a big inch motoir with boost, then the Procharger with some modifications is the ticket. They also make a great system if you're satisfied with 500 RWHP.
I may be biased but I think I have finally devised a bracket and pulley sytem that will support big inch motors or high boost levels that really fixes all the belt and heating issues. I have been working stedily for the last 2 years on this system. I have 5 of them out there now and none show any signs of belt slip at over 600 RWHP. I'm just working on the aesthetics to make it look as good as it performs. All the bracketry, intercoolers, tubing, pulleys, tensioners etc. are custom built for my system and, I believe, have come together as the best supercharger system availablefor the C5, period.
I'm working on an F1R system for the truly sick. I think that over 700 RWHP in a streetable package is just around the corner.
As an aside, my system is also less expensive than the others as I have made the system much simpler as well as efficient. $4995 buys you a complete system with all the upgrades.
Just though I'd add my .02
:cheers:
Old 12-05-2003, 11:50 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (Go Low)

this is like arguing with Irish Catholics and Irish Protestants about which religion is better. and i've already seen more b.s. in this thread than you'll find three feet up a bull's butt.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:26 AM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (Andy@AandACorvette)

I probably have installed more of both than just about anyone in the country. I do about 3:1 Prochargers to Vortechs. The Vortech is more labor intensive but works great just the way it is supplied from Vortech. I believe I was the first tuner to install one, other than Vortech. There were a few glitches that I discussed with Chris ( the head engineer that designed the system) and they were fixed right away. If you're looking for 500 RWHP the Vortech is great.
If you have aspirations of 600 RWHP or a big inch motoir with boost, then the Procharger with some modifications is the ticket. They also make a great system if you're satisfied with 500 RWHP.
I may be biased but I think I have finally devised a bracket and pulley sytem that will support big inch motors or high boost levels that really fixes all the belt and heating issues. I have been working stedily for the last 2 years on this system. I have 5 of them out there now and none show any signs of belt slip at over 600 RWHP. I'm just working on the aesthetics to make it look as good as it performs. All the bracketry, intercoolers, tubing, pulleys, tensioners etc. are custom built for my system and, I believe, have come together as the best supercharger system availablefor the C5, period.
I'm working on an F1R system for the truly sick. I think that over 700 RWHP in a streetable package is just around the corner.
As an aside, my system is also less expensive than the others as I have made the system much simpler as well as efficient. $4995 buys you a complete system with all the upgrades.
Just though I'd add my .02
:cheers:
And one kit is heading my way this week!!!! :hurray: :hurray: I CAN'T WAIT. I'll be performing the install myself and I selected Andy's kit as it appears to be the most do-it-yourself friendly, very efficient, has plenty of room to grow into (I selected a D1-SC setup) and lastly the price was certainly right. ;)

Besides all the above, working with a vendor such as Andy gives you access to his wealth of knowledge concerning the install and operation of the blower system. I'll be certain to post my opinions concerning the quality of Andy's kit, ease (or lack thereof) of install, and lastly and probably most important..... TUNING AND DRIVING IMPRESSIONS!! :auto:

This should be fun. :party:
Old 12-13-2003, 07:43 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (YELLOHHH)

I'd rather ********** with an handful of broken glass than put myself through what MANY ATI guys have gone through.
UNBELIEVABLE!! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 12-24-2003, 09:09 PM
blkhntr
Heel & Toe

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (Vortech C5)

Quick question. Who did your install and what did it cost? Were any additions necessary / recommended such as headers, fuel pump, injectors, etc? I am seriously considering the Vortech due to smog issues (CA). Thanks for the info. D
:D
Old 12-25-2003, 11:44 AM
MoNkEy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed that the supercharger is in place of the alternator, and power steering pump, and yata yata.. do they come with custom brackets?

Because if you guys have the old corvette accessories, I would be willing to take them off your hands..

I need all corvette accessories to fit this LS1 in my Sonoma.. :)

:steering:

Quick Reply: ATI vs. Vortech