C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:17 PM
Johnno
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (Sandra Bigwoode)

Well, Lingenfelter installed my S/C. They also dropped a 160F thermostat into my setup. I don't question Lingenfelter - they know their stuff! '
'nough said!

Cheers,
--Johnno
Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (JSAautomotive)

Dear JimmyO and Sandra.......

Jimmy....run the 160 thermostat. And have somebody that can tune your computer to have the fans cycle at around 170-180 and shut off (if possible) around 160-165. Depends on how efficient your cooling system is.

WHY WOULD YOU RUN THE FANS AT SPEED? THEY DON'T NEED TO, EXCEPT AT IDLE ON A HOT DAY IN TRAFFIC.

Sandra.....you make some very valid points about power and heat in the combustion chamber. 1st point is to remember, the NASCAR engines are normally aspirated.

IRRELEVANT.

2nd.......they use Hi-octane fuels that are specifically blended for their purpose, not readily available pump gas.

IRRELEVANT.

3rd...........they make almost 2hp per cu. in. while still having to consider fuel economy

IRRELEVANT.

(they run their fuel ratios on the raggged lean edge).

WRONG, THEY RUN ON THE RICH SIDE TO PROTECT THE ENGINE.

Fuel milage is just as important as hp.

IT'S NOT IN NASCAR.

4th, their engines get pulled apart after each race for refreshening,

TRUE, BUT WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH RUNNING 240 DEGREES FOR HIGH THERMAL EFFICIENCY?

most of these guys can't afford new bullet after bullet if failure occurs. These guys are street driving their machines.

YES, THEY ARE AND THAT'S WHY THEY SHOULD BE USING STOCK TEMP T-STATS...

So.........in blown applications, peak combustion and average combustion temp is critical. Especially in Los Angeles, on a 105 degree day, in traffic, and then having some jerk on a GSXR 1100 wanting to race you. Having your cooling system stay as cool as possible allows the average user to thrash his car under almost any condition, usual and unusual, while not having to worry about burst knock, normal detonation, or severe "heat soaking" of the engine while blowing off the motorcycle :D

RACING JERKS ON BIG BIKES ON HOT DAYS IN LA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE T-STAT CONTROLLING THE MAX HEAT ON YOUR THERMAL LOAD ON THE COOLING SYSTEM. IT IS ONLY A MINIMUM TEMP CONTROLLER.

THE TOTAL CAPACITY OF THE COOLING SYSTEM [NOT THE T-STAT] DETERMINES IF YOU WILL OVERHEAT IN WORST CASE CONDITONS.

I'm in the business of building crazy horspower for the street, and if you know most people (the average car nut) you have to add a safety factor in most of the applications we set up for the street.

the pcm correctly programmed will protect the ls1/6 engine from most of the jerks driving it into unsafe regimes.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:03 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Dear JimmyO and Sandra.......

Jimmy....run the 160 thermostat. And have somebody that can tune your computer to have the fans cycle at around 170-180 and shut off (if possible) around 160-165. Depends on how efficient your cooling system is.

WHY WOULD YOU RUN THE FANS AT SPEED? THEY DON'T NEED TO, EXCEPT AT IDLE ON A HOT DAY IN TRAFFIC.

Sandra.....you make some very valid points about power and heat in the combustion chamber. 1st point is to remember, the NASCAR engines are normally aspirated.

IRRELEVANT.

2nd.......they use Hi-octane fuels that are specifically blended for their purpose, not readily available pump gas.

IRRELEVANT.

3rd...........they make almost 2hp per cu. in. while still having to consider fuel economy

IRRELEVANT.

(they run their fuel ratios on the raggged lean edge).

WRONG, THEY RUN ON THE RICH SIDE TO PROTECT THE ENGINE.

Fuel milage is just as important as hp.

IT'S NOT IN NASCAR.

4th, their engines get pulled apart after each race for refreshening,

TRUE, BUT WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH RUNNING 240 DEGREES FOR HIGH THERMAL EFFICIENCY?

most of these guys can't afford new bullet after bullet if failure occurs. These guys are street driving their machines.

YES, THEY ARE AND THAT'S WHY THEY SHOULD BE USING STOCK TEMP T-STATS...

So.........in blown applications, peak combustion and average combustion temp is critical. Especially in Los Angeles, on a 105 degree day, in traffic, and then having some jerk on a GSXR 1100 wanting to race you. Having your cooling system stay as cool as possible allows the average user to thrash his car under almost any condition, usual and unusual, while not having to worry about burst knock, normal detonation, or severe "heat soaking" of the engine while blowing off the motorcycle :D

RACING JERKS ON BIG BIKES ON HOT DAYS IN LA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE T-STAT CONTROLLING THE MAX HEAT ON YOUR THERMAL LOAD ON THE COOLING SYSTEM. IT IS ONLY A MINIMUM TEMP CONTROLLER.

THE TOTAL CAPACITY OF THE COOLING SYSTEM [NOT THE T-STAT] DETERMINES IF YOU WILL OVERHEAT IN WORST CASE CONDITONS.

I'm in the business of building crazy horspower for the street, and if you know most people (the average car nut) you have to add a safety factor in most of the applications we set up for the street.

the pcm correctly programmed will protect the ls1/6 engine from most of the jerks driving it into unsafe regimes.
maybe the best thing to do is to install a 192 deg thermo in your car, program the PCM for a NA engine, install hot plugs, wait until it is 100 deg outside then hit the freeway at WOT with your HIGH THERMAL EFFICIENCY theory and hope your S/C engine stays together. IMO, your engine will go bang in less than 1.25 min.

Best of luck to you with your S/C car. :smash:

VR :cheers:

[Modified by vetterdstr, 8:04 PM 10/29/2003]
Old 10-30-2003, 03:47 PM
scvett
Intermediate

Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (Jimmy O)

160 is the way to go! :smash:
Old 10-30-2003, 08:32 PM
LS1 Bird
Instructor

Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (scvett)

Sandra, you got exactly why I brought a Buell into the discussion. It is air cooled as you say. It is equally silly comparing that V-twin to a S/C LS1 as it is comparing the S/C LS1 to a NASCAR engine. Apples and Oranges.

I didn't take (and don't have) the time to read all your responses, but if you believe fuel mileage doesn't play a huge role in NASCAR races, you might want to spend some time researching what percentage of Winston Cup wins this year were attributed to fuel mileage. It has played a MUCH bigger role in the races this year than power has. Go check it out...

Mike M
Old 10-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default BEST THERMOSTAT FOR A BLOWN ZO6...

thanks for your reply.

i have the stock t-stat in, the pcm is custom programmed by vortech for the v-2 blower, the plugs are stock, i have hit WOT for short times [2-7 seconds] in +100 f. california temps, the engine still sounds good and pulls really hard with sunoco gt-100 race gas mixed 1:4 here in florida...

WOT for 1.25 minutes is not really possible on local california streets and freeways, i am sure you know that...

but i could be wrong... =;-]
Old 10-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (LS1 Bird)

well, shiiiite, honeychile if you ain't gots the time to read my posts, i sure as shiiiite don' have da time to reads yours, i gots to be at the welfare office to pick ups my check, nome whut i'm sayin'?

thank you very much.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (LS1 Bird)

so what kind of a corvette do you have?
Old 11-01-2003, 03:55 AM
JTE
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 4-7, 9 & 10 Veteran

well, shiiiite, honeychile if you ain't gots the time to read my posts, i sure as shiiiite don' have da time to reads yours, i gots to be at the welfare office to pick ups my check, nome whut i'm sayin'?

thank you very much.
:crazy: :rolleyes: :nonod:
Old 11-21-2003, 12:38 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (JTE)

Could someone tell me where to get a 160 t-stat? I've tried looking through Summit and cannot figure out which one would work for a 2001 LS1?

Thanks! :cheers:
Old 11-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Cybercop
Instructor

so what kind of a corvette do you have?
From his sig, it looks like he has a 2001 Corvette in Firebird Trim... same motor, same stuffs going to apply.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:09 PM
DJPit
Instructor

Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (dads01dream)

Dads, u can get them from extreme motorsports, lapd, lingenfelter and other supporting vendors on this site.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:56 PM
vizkiz
Threadkiller
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars? (DJPit)

:lurk:

Quick Reply: Which thermostat is best for superchargerd cars?