C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I blew my tranny in my mag car

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
gmf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Think I blew my tranny in my mag car

Hey all,

Was at the track Sunday (MIR) and did my best of 11.91 @ 114 but had some serious rev limiter hits in 1st - 2nd.

So, last night I took off my drag radials (275/40/17) and put back on my F1's (275/40/18) and decided to go autotap on the street.

So I had some fun getting into it and sure enough, no rev limiter hits (difference in tire sizes I assume, but thats another issue?)

Then I decided to get into it in 2nd-3rd 1 last time before I got home, hit 3rd gear and then screeeeching noises starting coming from the car, loud enough that I couldn't even tell where it was coming from.

So I limp home (only 1 mile away) and every time I push on the gas (Ie, rpms went up) it made a loud metal on metal sound.

Get in the driveway and have my wife push on the pedal while in park and yes, the noise is coming from my rear end area.

So I am assuming its my transmission? Could it be the rear differential?

Even in park, if the RPM's go up, it makes the horrible noise.

I have an appointment to go in to have it checked (probably tow it, but might try to drive its 3-4 miles away) and Chuck @ FLP is DA MAN, he is getting me a new tranny ready and if that is the problem, be ready to ship, if not, he can sell to someone else. But speeding up my down time is much appreciated to Chuck and FLP. Kudos!

Anyway - there is my story! Thoughts? Comments?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:58 AM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

well, good luck!!
Old 08-24-2004, 01:08 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by gmf
Even in park, if the RPM's go up, it makes the horrible noise.

I have an appointment to go in to have it checked (probably tow it, but might try to drive its 3-4 miles away)
Sounds like the tranny, the rearend won't make any noise in park and tow the car to save on any other damage (you may damage it beyond rebuild which will cost you $700 for a core) plus you'd have to walk then

FLP will take care of you though
Old 08-24-2004, 03:10 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

This all sounds familiar... I did the same thing and ended up breaking both my transmission output shaft and breaking the diff... when the carnage was done the two components were in 5 pieces.

Now I have the new parts back in and I also installed the DTE diff brace... If you are going to keep racing the car, I would suggest installing the brace on your car as well...

VR
Old 08-24-2004, 04:58 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetterdstr
This all sounds familiar... I did the same thing and ended up breaking both my transmission output shaft and breaking the diff... when the carnage was done the two components were in 5 pieces.

Now I have the new parts back in and I also installed the DTE diff brace... If you are going to keep racing the car, I would suggest installing the brace on your car as well...

VR
Nice Torch RED Brace! But I dont understand what the brace is going to do?
Old 08-24-2004, 05:43 PM
gmf
Burning Brakes

VR
Was your car still driveable? My car works in all 5 gears (1-4 and reverse). I'm just afraid to drive it to the shop..
Old 08-24-2004, 09:06 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
Nice Torch RED Brace! But I dont understand what the brace is going to do?
the brace keeps the diff from twisting... when the diff twists, it breaks the housing and sometimes the trans output shaft as well..

VR
Old 08-24-2004, 09:11 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by gmf
Was your car still driveable? My car works in all 5 gears (1-4 and reverse). I'm just afraid to drive it to the shop..
When I blew up my diff (years ago) I was able to drive the car slowly in first gear and get it back to the trailer. Once the car was stopped it would not roll forward anymore. I took it to the dealership and they told me my aftermarket clutch (McLeod Single disc with an Aluminum flywheel) was blown up into 1000 pieces.

So I went out and purchased a brand new McLeod Dual Disc with another new Aluminum flywheel. While waiting 5 weeks for McLeod to build a clutch, my car sat outside at the dealership and we had a hail storm... now my window has a thousand little pits in it... When my car was finished they handed me my single disc clutch, pressure plate and aluminum flywheel (in perfect condition) and told me I broke the left output shaft on my diff.

When I blew up the trans and diff, the car would not move at all... So I jacked up the car and saw for myself that the diff was in 3 pieces and the trans in two. At that point I knew I needed a new trans and diff.

Best thing for you to do is to take it to the shop and let them figure out what happened.

VR

Last edited by vetterdstr; 08-24-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:01 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the brace keeps the diff from twisting... when the diff twists, it breaks the housing and sometimes the trans output shaft as well..

VR
Oh. How much was the brace?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:20 PM
GLENN43
Pro

VR
Can you use the brace on an A4 .I think I read some where it is only for the M6 .

Glenn good luck getting this fixed I know what a pain must be .I never got the dyno sheet faxed to you I will send it out on 8/26
Old 08-24-2004, 11:23 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
Oh. How much was the brace?
Here is the info on the brace... Cheap insurance!!

http://www.dynotech-eng.com/dte_c5_diff_strut.htm

VR
Old 08-24-2004, 11:28 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Old 08-25-2004, 07:44 AM
supercoupe01
Drifting

on the new times, cool weather you should be flying.

Get notified of new replies

To Think I blew my tranny in my mag car

Quick Reply: Think I blew my tranny in my mag car