Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E Letter inserts from rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

I have a nice set of the polished stainless letters plus a 3d brake light trim piece available. $25 shipped. You will have to supply the double sided tape.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Yeah, one less with letters! I guess you know what I think of them.
The following users liked this post:
chevyorange (04-29-2021)
Old 07-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Mickster144
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yanmar
The best thing i've found to remove adhesive is 3m adhesive remover. Works great and will not harm paint.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:27 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

A couple of people mentioned using goof off to remove the glue.
NEVER,NEVER, NEVER use goof off on paint, unless you want to also remove the paint.
Most people are not aware of this, but goof off is lacquer thinner, only in a smaller container.
It will remove paint, and just about anything else.
Next time you are at a home depot, or similar store, go into the paint department, and take the caps of both lacquer thinner, and goof off, and take a wiff.
They are exactly the same,and they do exactly the same thing.
I would suggest mineral spirits to remove any glue.

Bob.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:07 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Never understood why people liked these. You don't know you drive a Vette already? There's already too much badging on the car. My 69' Vette had the factory raised lettering which was a pain to wax around, less is more.
chevyorange (04-29-2021)
Old 03-11-2020, 11:42 AM
klangstone
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Resurrecting this thread. I got the same problem and the glue is super hard and being impossible to remove. Hair dryer, goof off, goo gone, Wd40 and alcohol have all been ineffective. Very frustrating.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:48 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Richieg1g
Just run it thru a car wash. The brushes should take car of the letters.
Anyone who runs their Vette through a car wash should have their Vette ownership privilege revoked!
Old 03-11-2020, 01:12 PM
klangstone
Instructor

I just realized this was posted in the C5 forum, but glue is glue right? Mine's a C6...
Old 03-11-2020, 01:17 PM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

I have the ss inserts on the rear and feel they look very good. Lots of good remarks given by vettes owners to. To each their own.

C5MSG2004Vert (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 04:39 PM
rjwvetttt
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I preferred the logo only look.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:47 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Thread is from 2005 but for all finding their way here, the best way to remove these letters (as well as side emblems or crossed flag logos) is to use a blow dryer set to HIGH and run the heat back and forth over the area to heat up the glue underneath. If the item does not peel up smoothly, you need more heat time. Once all items are successfully removed, use a light coat of Goo-gone and gently rub the residual glue remaining. Afterward, polish/wax the effected area to a nice perfected shine.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:41 PM
klangstone
Instructor

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Thread is from 2005 but for all finding their way here, the best way to remove these letters (as well as side emblems or crossed flag logos) is to use a blow dryer set to HIGH and run the heat back and forth over the area to heat up the glue underneath. If the item does not peel up smoothly, you need more heat time. Once all items are successfully removed, use a light coat of Goo-gone and gently rub the residual glue remaining. Afterward, polish/wax the effected area to a nice perfected shine.
I tried the hair dryer,.got it pretty hot, as hot as the hair dryer would get it and the residue would not budge. Goo gone completely ineffective as well. It's really hardened, as you can see from the pic there are no letters left, just old glue or adhesive.

Thinking about 3M adhesive remover next, and plan to see a detailing expert on Saturday.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:01 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by klangstone
I tried the hair dryer,.got it pretty hot, as hot as the hair dryer would get it and the residue would not budge. Goo gone completely ineffective as well. It's really hardened, as you can see from the pic there are no letters left, just old glue or adhesive.

Thinking about 3M adhesive remover next, and plan to see a detailing expert on Saturday.
blow dryer is not going to free it up enough. You need a real hot air gun to do the trick.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:22 AM
klangstone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Not4spd
blow dryer is not going to free it up enough. You need a real hot air gun to do the trick.
I do have access to a heat gun from work (we use it to heat shrink insulation over bare wires amongst other things). I don't have any experience with any of this so I am very leery about applying a heat gun or harsh chemicals on my paint for fear I will damage the rear bumper and force a strip down and repaint. I can't live with the glue mess though. My detailer contact I made now says if it is epoxy or super glue residue he won't touch it. I think it falls under paint repair vs. exterior detail or paint correction anyway.

How hot can you get it without damaging the paint? I had a body shop heat up a bumper once to try to reshape it (from a slight rear end bump) but that didn't seem hurt the paint in that situation. So perhaps it can get pretty darn hot without worry, The one body shop that I took the car to said they could only strip it all off and repaint the whole bumper but I may get a second opinion on that from another body shop. I can't do an insurance claim so I am stuck paying for this out of pocket if I have a shop do the repair.

I have yet to try the heat gun, 3M adhesive remover or acetone, but it looks like those are viable options at this point. I really just don't want to make the situation worse.

Last edited by klangstone; 03-12-2020 at 10:25 AM. Reason: additions and typos
Old 03-12-2020, 10:44 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I do have access to a heat gun from work (we use it to heat shrink insulation over bare wires amongst other things). I don't have any experience with any of this so I am very leery about applying a heat gun or harsh chemicals on my paint for fear I will damage the rear bumper and force a strip down and repaint. I can't live with the glue mess though. My detailer contact I made now says if it is epoxy or super glue residue he won't touch it. I think it falls under paint repair vs. exterior detail or paint correction anyway.

How hot can you get it without damaging the paint? I had a body shop heat up a bumper once to try to reshape it (from a slight rear end bump) but that didn't seem hurt the paint in that situation. So perhaps it can get pretty darn hot without worry, The one body shop that I took the car to said they could only strip it all off and repaint the whole bumper but I may get a second opinion on that from another body shop. I can't do an insurance claim so I am stuck paying for this out of pocket if I have a shop do the repair.

I have yet to try the heat gun, 3M adhesive remover or acetone, but it looks like those are viable options at this point. I really just don't want to make the situation worse.
It will be fine. It's just like anything else when it comes to a heat gun. You just gotta keep it moving back and forth and don't leave it in single spot for an extended period of time. I just used a heat gun on high heat to remove my Z06 emblems from the fenders. Once the emblem was off then went back over for a few seconds to hit the adhesive residue, then used a flat putty knife to scrap off what remained.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There is a product from Optimum Car Care called T.A.R. Remover that should loosen up that hardened glue. The acronym is for what it removes- Tar, Adhesive, and Rubber. I run a detailing business and have used this product for applications like this. It's soy-based, so it will not harm the painted surfaces. You do have to let the TAR remover dwell on the surface of the adhesive and let the product break it down. There are a few videos on how to use this, and it does actually work.
​​​​​​https://www.theragcompany.com/optimu...ubber-remover/
I have included a link to TRC, but I'm sure it's also available on AutoGeek.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Edmund Iverson; 03-12-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:17 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

I had the "R" on mine fall off all by itself. Put it back on with 3M auto adhesive. I'm guessing I didn't prep the surface sufficiently when originally installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E Letter inserts from rear bumper

Old 03-12-2020, 01:05 PM
klangstone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edmund Iverson
There is a product from Optimum Car Care called T.A.R. Remover that should loosen up that hardened glue. The acronym is for what it removes- Tar, Adhesive, and Rubber. I run a detailing business and have used this product for applications like this. It's soy-based, so it will not harm the painted surfaces. You do have to let the TAR remover dwell on the surface of the adhesive and let the product break it down. There are a few videos on how to use this, and it does actually work.
​​​​​​https://www.theragcompany.com/optimu...ubber-remover/
I have included a link to TRC, but I'm sure it's also available on AutoGeek.
Hope this helps!

Thank you Edmund! I wonder if that stuff is any different than the 3M adhesive remover. I am moving this conversation over to the C6 forum under the Rear Bumper Inlay thread.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:38 PM
Edmund Iverson
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yes, it is a unique formula that is (as far as I know) the only soy-based (not petroleum based) product available.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:43 PM
RXTbone
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
A couple of people mentioned using goof off to remove the glue.
NEVER,NEVER, NEVER use goof off on paint, unless you want to also remove the paint.
Most people are not aware of this, but goof off is lacquer thinner, only in a smaller container.
It will remove paint, and just about anything else.
Next time you are at a home depot, or similar store, go into the paint department, and take the caps of both lacquer thinner, and goof off, and take a wiff.
They are exactly the same,and they do exactly the same thing.
I would suggest mineral spirits to remove any glue.

Bob.

Goof Off is not good for paint.
GOO GONE will take off adhesive without hurting the paint. Use it all the time.

Quick Reply: Removing C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E Letter inserts from rear bumper