C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Scissors type Jack for C5???

Old 05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
OrionVettes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Scissors type Jack for C5???

I want to find a small enough jack to carry in the back Side pocket of a C5 if possible for emergency use only. Due to running on Non-run flats, Ive put together and emergency kit, but just need a jack now. Does anyone have suggestions? If so need to know where to find them and price.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Maniac
Melting Slicks

I purchased one about a month ago for about 15 bucks shipped. It has a range of about 3" to 14". I don't remember exactly where I bought it, but I should have the receipt at home. I'll look it up this evening this evening if you're interested. It's Zinc plated and fits in the center storage compartment in the 'Vette.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Icemanskis
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Here is a popular jack that many forum members have purchased. Forum member C5 Frederik has a connection I believe.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=jacks
Old 05-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

OrionVettes; you're one brave soul. Most here don't have the guts to call Scissors "small".

I've still got the small scissors jack that came with my Fiat X1/9. So simple - but works soo well. I use it for many non-automotive related projects as well.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,207 Likes on 13,924 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Maniac
I purchased one about a month ago for about 15 bucks shipped. It has a range of about 3" to 14". I don't remember exactly where I bought it, but I should have the receipt at home. I'll look it up this evening this evening if you're interested. It's Zinc plated and fits in the center storage compartment in the 'Vette.

I'd be interested in what brand it is. I need to add one to my emergency kit in the car.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:36 PM
OrionVettes
Instructor

Thanks for the replys guys....Sorry if Im calling it the wrong thing. The one I have seen recently that intrests me is in Cal. Car Cover mag. Its for HotRods and looks perfect. Only problem is its $250.
It may be Billet Alum. but its not Gold!!!Not a good price for an emergency roadside Jack if you know what I mean. The Jack posted seems a little unstable for the side of a good ole NC red mud and grass roadside tire change.http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=231&cid=48

Last edited by OrionVettes; 05-12-2005 at 05:42 PM. Reason: adding Link
Old 05-12-2005, 06:22 PM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OrionVettes
Thanks for the replys guys....Sorry if Im calling it the wrong thing. The one I have seen recently that intrests me is in Cal. Car Cover mag. Its for HotRods and looks perfect. Only problem is its $250.
It may be Billet Alum. but its not Gold!!!Not a good price for an emergency roadside Jack if you know what I mean. The Jack posted seems a little unstable for the side of a good ole NC red mud and grass roadside tire change.http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=231&cid=48
This may be what you are thinking of:

I got mine about a year ago at Northern Tools, but I don't think they have them anymore. Advanced Auto used to carry one as well. It came with a wierd bracket on top. I removed that and made a "puck" out of washers and an eye bolt. Cost about $15 all together.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:23 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a standard scissors jack (like many oem models) for $24 at Autozone. It's perfectly sized to fit in its box in the center rear storage, and collapses very low ~2" to get under my car (which is lowered). The head on the jack also nicely fits into the indentation for the shipping hooks (where we'd put a puck) so no puck is needed.

I can post brand when I get a chance to get to the car.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 PM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yellow01
I got a standard scissors jack (like many oem models) for $24 at Autozone. It's perfectly sized to fit in its box in the center rear storage, and collapses very low ~2" to get under my car (which is lowered). The head on the jack also nicely fits into the indentation for the shipping hooks (where we'd put a puck) so no puck is needed.

I can post brand when I get a chance to get to the car.

This looks like it:http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...ELAR%7C%7Etrue

I just played with the top of mine for the fun of it!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:29 PM
BNLspeedaddict
Instructor

so lets say your on the road with your NON run flats, and you get a flat tire....are you guys carrying a spare with you at all times ?

Old 05-12-2005, 06:41 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BNLspeedaddict
so lets say your on the road with your NON run flats, and you get a flat tire....are you guys carrying a spare with you at all times ?

The jack will help raise the car so that one can find the nail or leak a lot easier than on a "flat on the ground" flat tire. Then one can remove the nail and plug the tire.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Maniac
Melting Slicks

Here you go, guys! I got the Zinc coated one for 10.95. This is the same jack that RCK1999 modified. I have jacking pads so I just cut off the swivel attachment on the top and now it's flat on top and it winds down to just a bit over 2". You can also do the mod that RCK1999 did and have a puck on top!!!

http://www.autosupplyusa.com/bottlejacks.html

Also, if you haven't got a plug kit yet, go with the safety seal kit below. Professional quality at a great price!! I went with the light truck auto kit for $39.95 ( I got free shipping ).

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/autokits.htm
Old 05-12-2005, 06:47 PM
YBNORML
Pro

Read the post down a few threads "Cool jack for C4 & C5..."
Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
BNLspeedaddict
Instructor

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
The jack will help raise the car so that one can find the nail or leak a lot easier than on a "flat on the ground" flat tire. Then one can remove the nail and plug the tire.

So lets say you remove the nail, plug the tire....then what? Do you have a mini air compressor to inflate the tire? Assuming that your tire is flat on the side of the road, I don't see an advantage to carrying a jack in your car.

What do you guys think ?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:03 PM
XCLR8TN
Racer

OrionVettes, We have the same jack advertised for $250 @ Cal Car Cover. They have it @ Genuine Hot Rod Hardware Inc for $200. It is a "Quality Item". You will only buy this jack once as it is built "like a tank"! Folds up to nothing and comes with it's own carrying case. To assure enough lifting height and protection for the lifting points, Jim got 4 hockey pucks and notched one to fit the jack cradle and another to fit our rocker rails (A&A Corvette). Place 1 or 2 pucks between the jack cradle puck and the lift point and take a 7/16 socket with ratchet and go for it. We have never tried to lift our cars with out the pucks so I don't know if it would lift a C5 high enough without them.
Phone # of Genuine Hot Rod is 1-800-575-1932 Part # is #382-FJ0002

Last edited by XCLR8TN; 05-12-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:04 PM
DirteeDave
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

So lets say you remove the nail, plug the tire....then what? Do you have a mini air compressor to inflate the tire? Assuming that your tire is flat on the side of the road, I don't see an advantage to carrying a jack in your car.

What do you guys think ?
You might not need the jack but I carry one just for added insurance. And yes, almost everyone running non-runflats carries an air compressor as well.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:05 PM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

What do you guys think ?
I've plugged tires on a car and off a car. My vote is OFF the car. Heck of a lot easier! Collapsed jack takes up very little space. No, it is not necessary, but I am excercising my God-given right as a free American to carry my own jack that I bought with the sweat of my own labor, modded with my own hands and stored in my own car in the compartment of my own choosing!!!

(and no, I'm not obsessing ----- ), just been on the road on business all week and want to go home!

Get notified of new replies

To Small Scissors type Jack for C5???

Old 05-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Maniac
Melting Slicks

Part of my kit is a 12v compressor. I bought one that is designed for trucks and SUV's. It has a built in fan so it will run longer and cooler because of the volume of the 'Vettes tires. My entire kit, including a shower curtain for those rainy days, fits in the center compartment. Don't forget the folding lug wrench!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I have the MB little jack and it's great. Might I add that is not unstable at all. In fact it will twist and turn to maintain balance. Excellent for the price.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:16 PM
BNLspeedaddict
Instructor

Originally Posted by RCK1999
No, it is not necessary, but I am excercising my God-given right as a free American to carry my own jack that I bought with the sweat of my own labor, modded with my own hands and stored in my own car in the compartment of my own choosing!!!

(and no, I'm not obsessing ----- ), just been on the road on business all week and want to go home!

HAHAH !

AMEN! Totally agree.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small Scissors type Jack for C5???