Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the ticket I got got invalid because the cop didn't sign the ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Traffic Hater
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my ticket invalid?

Thanks for reading/helping!

I obtained the ticket in my 2002 coupe just a couple of days ago.

The cop was just looking for a reason to give out a ticket. For example, the first thing he did when I pulled over was look for a front plate!!

I realized the following on the ticket.

1. The traffic offense was never entered on my ticket. He left that whole area blank! He did enter all my info inclusing my Lic #, Time & Location of offense. I did call the court. They sent me a confirmation regarding the court date and there was a violation code of 39: 4-05 WITNESS. NOTHING!! No signature!

2. The ticket has an area that states the following:

The undersigned further states that there are just and reasonable grounds to believe that you committed the above offense and will file this complaint in this court charging you with that offense.

Where it asks for SIGNATURE OF COMPLAINING WHITNESS: Nothing! He never signed the ticket?

3. He never entered his Officer's ID number? It's not on the confirmation letter either?

4. He never entered the month,day,year

The ticket was issued in my town.

Does anybody out there in Corvette Land have any knowledge regarding this issue.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by Traffic Hater; 06-10-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:31 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

If I were you, I would just show up in court by yourself and ask the judge what you're being charged with? I'll bet he will dismiss the ticket How can they charge you when no infration is stated? I doubt that the cop will even remember.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:35 PM
BNLspeedaddict
Instructor

good luck ! Let us know what happens
Old 06-09-2005, 08:38 PM
MDriveMode
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

That sucks and I hope it is dismissed. Hopefully some LEOs will chime in, but it doesn't sound like a proper citation to me. GOOD LUCK.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:47 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'll bet it'll fly!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:53 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Fla not signing a ticket or not entering a date wouldnt matter - I know that for a fact. Regarding a date, you would need ot call te county court and give them the citation number and they will give you the date-to-appear information.

Now the only way you can get off is if he cited a statute that you werent guilty of (by mistake - it happens). For example, he cited you for speeding, staute 314.16 but he he wrote on the ticket statute 314.16, which is running a stop sign. Other than that, dont even think about telling the judge 'Your honor, he did not sign this ticket" . That simply wont fly cuz.

Good luck.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 06-09-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Traffic Hater
Pro

I sure hope I can walk. I couldn't believe there were so many mistakes on the ticket! The offense itself is a joke. I would have felt better getting a jay walking ticket!

My hope is that there may be an officier on this board that will know 100%. He just plain didn't sign or id the ticket. The lack of offense seems just a bonus!!

It's just a shame I have to take a whole day off of work for this!

Thanks for the reply's! This place is great!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Traffic Hater
I sure hope I can walk. I couldn't believe there were so many mistakes on the ticket! The offense itself is a joke. I would have felt better getting a jay walking ticket!

My hope is that there may be an officier on this board that will know 100%. He just plain didn't sign or id the ticket. The lack of offense seems just a bonus!!

It's just a shame I have to take a whole day off of work for this!

Thanks for the reply's! This place is great!
maybe a NJ officer. I would try googling New Jersey Traffic Citation Statutes. You might be able to find out yourself.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Traffic Hater
Pro

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
In Fla not signing a ticket or not entering a date wouldnt matter - I know that for a fact. Regarding a date, you would need ot call te county court and give them the citation number and they will give you the date-to-appear information.

Now the only way you can get off is if he cited a statute that you werent guilty of (by mistake - it happens). For example, he cited you for speeding, staute 314.16 but he he wrote on the ticket statute 314.16, which is running a stop sign. Other than that, dont even think about telling the judge 'Your honor, he did not sign this ticket" . That simply wont fly cuz.

Good luck.
He didn't enter any offense on my ticket! What he entered on his copy is another story. I figured they were one and the same. A carbon copy.

Can I get off if he didn't enter any offense. It's not like I can alter the ticket. He just told me what I did wrong!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Traffic Hater
He didn't enter any offense on my ticket! What he entered on his copy is another story. I figured they were one and the same. A carbon copy.

Can I get off if he didn't enter any offense. It's not like I can alter the ticket. He just told me what I did wrong!
Again, in FL, The judge will go by the original. If its a misquoted statute or no statute written on the original ticket, you walk

. You have a right to review the original ticket before any date-to-appear but you will have to show up anyway. Then you make your plea: Guilty, Not guilty or No Contest (Plead no contest if you have a good driving record and your state allows that plea)
Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just as long as he corrected it on the courts copy your s.o.l.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z06 Steve
just as long as he corrected it on the courts copy your s.o.l.
BTW, Should we be anticipating a CF name change from Traffic Hater to Traffic "Ticket" Hater?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
WaWaTuSi
Pro

St. Jude Donor '05

flip it over the violation should be on the otherside. Either way it wont help you in Jersey. Your best bet is to take advantage of the non moving violation scam at court.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes things don't come through the carbon copy very well...that's just an unfortunate fact. Traffic tickets, like every other charging document can be amended to correct errors. If he didn't enter the offense on the original...technically you've been charged with nothing; however, he could issue another citation on the court date or earlier.

My guess, is that the D.A. or judge will dismiss it...they look for reasons to do that occasionally. However it doesn't necessarily need to be dismissed because it could be amended. If amended...you deserve a continuance, etc...so you could prepare a defenense and all that crap if you ask. So, are you holding a get out of jail (ticket)free card...not necessarily. To some extent this will depend on the policies, practices and procedures in your state.

Last edited by Prosecutor; 06-09-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
If I were you, I would just show up in court by yourself and ask the judge what you're being charged with? I'll bet he will dismiss the ticket How can they charge you when no infration is stated? I doubt that the cop will even remember.
This poster has a very good point. If the officer never wrote it down, and he truly never entered it on his copy or separate notes...he probably will not remember the violation...that would be the quick road to dismissal.

Again...it was always my experience that carbon copies were not real good.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

You passed on the right and who cares if you didn't even go through white lines, you still passed on the right.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
Good Advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the ticket I got got invalid because the cop didn't sign the ticket?

Old 06-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Traffic Hater
Pro

I would have figured that the officer would have to sign the ticket and enter his ID number.

I have conflicting answers regarding this situation on a traffic forum.

Very confusing.

I was also told that I can not use traffic school if I plead not guilty. could get out of the other 2 points!

The way I see it I can get 2 points taken off for just showing up. They usually waive the first 2 points.

In my situation, I have no idea what to do?

I have a good case even if the ticket was vaild but that doesn't mean I'm going to win.

This situation seems more than a basic mistake or entering of a wrong code. He didn't put any code, and yes I realize that the court has a code from the officer.

What they can't produce is a signature on my ticket or the officer's ID on my version.

What a pain.

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by Traffic Hater; 06-09-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

In Florida the officer can amend the ticket in the court room.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Borack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Prosecutor
This poster has a very good point. If the officer never wrote it down, and he truly never entered it on his copy or separate notes...he probably will not remember the violation...that would be the quick road to dismissal.

Again...it was always my experience that carbon copies were not real good.
The UTC's are turned over to the supervisor at the end of the shift and checked for accuracy.If mistakes are found they are fixed before being sent to the Clerk of the Court..They are checked again by the traffic supervisor at the Clerk of the Court, then sent back to the officer to correct any mistakes if any are found..The charge can be amended by the officer at the day of the hearing..Sorry !!

Quick Reply: Is the ticket I got got invalid because the cop didn't sign the ticket?