opinion: c5 vette vs. TT supra

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:15 PM
toyosupra
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion: c5 vette vs. TT supra

Hey guys,

I am posting this on both corvetteforum.com and this forum. I have owned a single T61 NA-t @ 12psi (not quite enough) 93.5 supra and now have a truck. I'm ready to get back into a sports car. I want your opinion, if you had ~$26,000 (could spend more or less) to spend, trying to keep an unbiased opinion, what would you buy; a 2001 and up vette (probably not Z06) with low mileage, or the equivalent TT supra with ~70k miles. I'm not looking for huge speed, mostly just looks, sound, and enough HP to have fun in. I was at roughly 420hp with my old supra and loved it. However, I like the fact that vettes are newer. I really have trouble spending so much on an older supra. Please don't give me the "if you don't already want only the supra, than you don't deserve it BS". I'm simply looking for a mature opinion and your reason supporting or opposing it. Your opinions do matter to me as I know that the Supra/Vette community are generally very car knowledgeable. Again, looking for unbiased opnions, and don't post if you have never owned at least one of these cars. Thanks again!

Chris
Old 07-12-2005, 06:23 PM
BAMF AE
Safety Car

Location: The Surgeon General has warned that it's ok to smoke mustangs!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by toyosupra
I am posting this on both corvetteforum.com and this forum.

Originally Posted by toyosupra
or the equivalent TT supra with ~70k miles.
R U Serious!!!!!!!!!! That's a no brainer! Straight up get the vette..... Don't need to explain myself on this one.
$26,000.....c'mon man!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:27 PM
UT-Driven
Racer

I would without doubt buy the Corvette. Personally, I don't like the Supra TTs much in the looks department and only like the ones with body kits.

For sound, you can't beat the sound of a Corvette, especially if you get a catback exhaust that you like. There are many different ones that each have their own distinct sound.

The Corvettes track so well too, I love driving in it. I had a 3000 GT VR-4 before the 2000 coupe and it is a night and day difference in the ride quality. I would recommend one with the Z51 suspension package.

Regardless of your choice, both are excellent cars.

UT-Driven
Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default 70k

if you had another 3 grand you could buy my 23000 mile 6spd coupe.Get the vette.26 grand on a 70,000 mile car,put down the pipe and take a break! Just kidding,but for real,get a vette.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:34 PM
girl-ina-box
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Get the vette and that's my serious reply.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:39 PM
toyosupra
Cruising

Wow, I'm quite surprised at the apparent dislike of the "V8 killer". I'm glad some people aren't completely biased. I'm really looking for somebody who has experience in both cars. Somebody said the sound of the vette is unbeatable, but that is VERY debateable. My previous supra sounded better than nearly ANY v8 I've ever heard. And I'm hoping some people aren't thinking "ricer". Keep 'em coming guys and gals.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:46 PM
pdykinga
Racer

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I can speak to this I had a single supra (~600hp) but sold it and went with a 04 c5. I built my supra out of the fun-to-drive catagory and on to the down-right-dangerous-to-drive catagory. I know that a lot of people build up 600+ hp cars all the time but getting those tires to stick (even drag radials) was very tricky. I bought a vette having never driven one, as the prices were fantastic! I now have headers on the car and it is all I SHOULD ever need. It sounds fantastic and is plently fast for me. I don't have to clear a landing strip when I get on the gas to avoid shooting into the next county when the boost hits No funny gas, no swapping the cats back on for emissions, tons of low end, and a warranty to boot

but seriously the main reason for my switch was the amount of idiots in POS cars that wanted to race and would not take no for an answer. Freakin 12 year olds in a 90 Honda civic with a K and N would hound me. I could not take my wife to dinner without some tool bugging me to race. With the vette I rarely get an invitation to race and everyone I have met while in my vette have been very nice people who just want to talk cars.

Both cars are fantastic and you cannot make a bad choice

Pete
Old 07-12-2005, 06:51 PM
2fast4sanity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a bit partial to the vette since I own one and love it, but a friend of mine has a supra and its a nice car too. You may as well consider the supra a 2 seat car, because the rear seats are almost useless except for children. The removable top on the vette is much more user friendly than the supra. I don't need a tool to take mine out, 3 latches and I'm good. I also like the sport seats in my corvette better than the stock supra seats. The vette is the car for me, but you may decide otherwise. Like some of the others here, I can't imagine spending 26 thousand on a 70k mile car that is at best 7 years old. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:07 PM
ghost.rider
Drifting

I love the sound of a V8

So my choice would be the CORVETTE

But a Supra, assuming it is in good condition, is not a bad choice
Old 07-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

get an FRC for 19k, spend 2k on H/C and a few other mods. You got fashion and function.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Seriously, the choice is clearly in favor of the C5. You can get a much lower mileage car and awesome performance for your $26000 or less.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:40 PM
toyosupra
Cruising

Well, I liked those responses a little better. I'm glad to see that, as I expected, vette guys give other cars the respect deserved. I'm really liking the comments I've heard thus far. The vette has in favor: more mature style, lower miles, newer, and of course a throaty V8. I'm still wondering, how are the reliability of corvettes as far as serious things. I can handle the "oh ****" handle falling off or something cheap like that, but what about engine and drivetrain problems. I'm thinking that since I'm 20, I don't want a car falling apart on me. The supra is hands-down more reliable I know, just because it is. It's not an arguable fact. But how reliable is the vette when you like to get on the gas fairly regularly. Keep 'em coming.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 PM
toyosupra
Cruising

Also, this will be a covered car that won't be daily driven. I have another cheap-o dep-o car.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I don't know where you are located but the two cars generally don't have the same type of people driving them. I know, we have enough teens here and the Toyotas have some older guys, but for better or worse,you know what I mean. Corvetteforum is unlike any other forums I've seen. Great members and the trash talk doesn't get tolerated for long.
I got out of perf cars and bikes when my kids were born (18 years ago). Last year I bought my Vette. Absolutely no regrets here.
If I were you I'd have to think hard about what those 70K+ miles were like on that 7+ year old car. There are many babied Vettes out there. I don't think there are many babied Supras. Good Luck, Tom
Old 07-12-2005, 09:06 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my .02; I would go for the vette.
1.Torque(the supra really pics up after third gear but lacks grunt down low.)
2.Mileage(less miles = less problems)Even if the supra's are more reliable;the fact that the car has 70k vs 30k
3.cost factor(both cars are expensive but vettes are probably less expensive to repair)
4.I've also heard that the supra's have very complex electrical systems.
5.Performance balance(with the z51 set up)(straight line and cornering ability)

I personally love both cars, and both would be a fine choice.
PS: there's also that little saying "No replacement for displacement"
Old 07-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Brianss1
Instructor

I had the choice of what i could have bought also.Relability was a big concern when I was buying ,not just flat out go power.I have a customer with a 99 vert and 135,00 miles on it only thing he had replaced was a water pump ,that sold me right there.I bought a low milage 99 FRC hardtop 6 speed , 35,000 miles for 22k.The mods are never ending also.I like the looks a lot better and they handle great for being stock,mine has the Z51 susp it does a good job for being stock for now some better shocks and some factory Z06 rims and tires .Cant go wrong
Old 07-12-2005, 09:25 PM
pewterwest99
Drifting

The interior of the Supra is severly outdated and plain compared to that of the C5's, if you have not seen the inside yet, then go and check one out. Another neat feature, is the DIC (Driver Information Center).That will tell you everything from individual tire pressure, to average MPG, to transmission temp, and alot more. The Corvette also has HUD ( Heads Up Display) and that is one of my favorite options. The gas mileage of the C5 Corvette(18-20 city, 28-30 hwy) is alot better then the Supra. A Twin Turbo Supra is 320 Hp, The base model C5 Corvette is 350 Hp. They stopped making Supras in '98 and the C5 went from '97-'04.Looks are all opinion so i'll leave that one to you.

Quick Summary: You could spend your money on a Supra ('93-'98) or you could spend the same amount of money to get a newer car('97-'04) with better gas mileage, more creature comforts, and better performance.
The choice would be easy in my eyes. THE CORVETTE

Last edited by pewterwest99; 07-12-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To opinion: c5 vette vs. TT supra

Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default 70k

Bro,this ain't about ricer this,v8 that.It's about why you'd spend $26000 grand on a friggin car with 70,000 miles on it?????I don't care if it's a supra,vette,caddy,or spaceship!!!(well,spaceship might be ok!)You can get a nice low mileage vette and do what you want to it,or leave it alone.you'll ultimately get some of your investment back when you sell it/trade it,whatever.With a high mileage car,you'll never recoupe any kind of money down the road.period.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:34 PM
SmacZ
Burning Brakes

Well the Supra can be made insanely fast for cheaper and I think the looks have worn well and are still nice, but...the Vette will be lower miles, faster stock , have more amenities, be cheaper to repair , and in my opinion look better overall.

I love both but even without considering the cars and just going :

CAR A 70K MILE 12 YEARS OLD VS. CAR B 30K MILE 8 YEARS OLD= CAR B WINS

Buy the vette you wont regret :P
Old 07-12-2005, 09:44 PM
exukboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota build quality is legendary but in the looks dept I prefer the C5.
I also like the V8 and the fact that vettes have been around for over 50 years. It gives them a bit of history. It's nice when people like yourself come on board this Forum with new questions and opinions.
I hope you do get a vette cos you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: opinion: c5 vette vs. TT supra