Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have their iPod set up in their C5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Default Does anyone have their iPod set up in their C5?

I'm thinking about getting an iPod, and am curious about hooking it up to the C5 radio. Is the sound quality good? Can it be installed so the docking station is out of sight? Anyone with any info or advice, good or bad, please chime in. Thanks Zuti
Old 09-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Since my head unit has a cassette deck, I just use a cassette adapter to play my iPod through the C5's sound system. There are ways to wire it up directly to the C5's system using special cabling. You can also use an iTrip when plays the iPod through FM.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:03 PM
kringer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the adapter that coes through the cd changer interface. I have the cord tucked in the counsel and pull it out when I need it. There is no comparison between the Itrip and the hook up I have. I don't ever want to go back. I got the neo adapter.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zuti
I'm thinking about getting an iPod, and am curious about hooking it up to the C5 radio. Is the sound quality good? Can it be installed so the docking station is out of sight? Anyone with any info or advice, good or bad, please chime in. Thanks Zuti
I have the ipod2car in my C5. The sound is nice and I can control the iPod from the stock head unit. It also charges the iPod while the car is off.

Its a little quirky sometimes, but I have no complaints with it.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:17 AM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I am about to jump in and buy this mod, myself. After seeing the responses posted by "Larry" (whom was absolutely expert, helpful and informative), and, all the other helpful members above, it is great to hear that the iPod unit can be controlled from the stock head unit, and, not lose charge. Very Cool.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:18 AM
fastcop_c5
Pro

you lose the cd changer right? if so, thats only about 144 songs (assuming the 12 cds have 12 songs each). how many songs can the iPOD hold? if it's more than 144, im getting one.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Eddy C
Pro

I got an Alpine HU(the one without the sliding bar) and IPOD adapter. The hook up is in the glove compartment. Love it. Only drawback is that it takes forever to go through playlists, etc alphabetically. Then again, this may just be my problem because my IPOD fanatic wife filled up the 6 GB hard drive.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Eddy C
Pro

Originally Posted by fastcop_c5
you lose the cd changer right? if so, thats only about 144 songs (assuming the 12 cds have 12 songs each). how many songs can the iPOD hold? if it's more than 144, im getting one.
We have the mini 6 GB...holds 1500 songs. No longer made so snap one up quick if you want one. The new nano is 4 GB and holds 1000 songs. It's a flash drive, a little better.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:58 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zuti, look on crutchfield's sight for an ipod transpod. It plugs into the cig. lighter and you tune it through your radio. I haven't tried it so I can't comment on the sound quality.

Chuck
Old 09-25-2005, 09:56 AM
JPlatt50
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csexton
Zuti, look on crutchfield's sight for an ipod transpod. It plugs into the cig. lighter and you tune it through your radio. I haven't tried it so I can't comment on the sound quality.
Using an ipod through an fm transmitter will give poor results (some distrotion) and a lower volume. While going down the road with the top down, I end up turning the radio volume almost all the way up for decent volume. I recorded some of the same songs to cd and played through the in-dash cd player and they are alot louder. FWIW I have the $99 apple fm transmitter so it's not one of the cheapies.

The direct connection method through the cd changer input is the way to go, although I havent broken down and purchased one yet. Check this out! Dont know much about it but just ran across it! http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...oductDetail.do

The same applies to any fm tuner, not just the c5.

***Edited
I found their website here http://usaspec.com/ipodgm.htm and they do not show this unit being compatable with any year vette so I emailed them. Will update

Last edited by JPlatt50; 09-25-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:16 AM
rabnestic
Instructor

I gutted the entire stereo system and installed an Excelon Head unit and have the ipod connected directly to the bus. What a convenient feature with very god sound! The ipod is wired in the arm rest, so it is completely out of sight and controlled directly through the head unit.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Yello04
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05

I'd sure love to have the iPod port, but am not willing to sacrifice my CD changer ro get there. Simply a trade-off decision that you need to make.

I agree with the comments on the FM transmitters. I have the iTrip and in my area it isn't bad. Minor distortion and lower volume, but acceptable.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Yello04
I'd sure love to have the iPod port, but am not willing to sacrifice my CD changer ro get there. Simply a trade-off decision that you need to make.

I agree with the comments on the FM transmitters. I have the iTrip and in my area it isn't bad. Minor distortion and lower volume, but acceptable.

Let us know what you decide.
I want to say there was a thread last year sometime about having both the iPod and a changer hooked up together. I will see if I can find it.

I wanted to keep my cd changer connected also but then I wanted a wide variety of music to listen to on the fly. The iPod was a good decision for me so I could have 20gb of music and the girlfriend can play solitaire while i'm driving.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:38 PM
DallasC5
Racer

All you do is buy the adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Then, tune your radio to a certain frequency (included in instructions) and you listen to your music through your radio and speakers.

The sound quality is not as crisp, but it does sound okay. I definitely would recommend it.

Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone have their iPod set up in their C5?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have their iPod set up in their C5?