Sponsored by:

01 Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:28 PM
BickyDhadwal
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Oil Consumption

Hello everyone, i posted a few months back about the oil consumption problem i have with my 01 vert....(still under warrenty) after going to the dealership about 15 times...there was nothing happening....they kept telling me i was on the oil consumption test and i had to just wait...i posted this on the forum and someone gave me a document which had some GM official guide lines for oil consumption and mine was well over the limits....so i took this document in last month....and showed them highlighted the facts on how much it should be consuming and how much mine is consuming...(i think they just thought of me as some stupid kid who'll just keep getting it topped up run out of warrenty and then be screwed)....after telling them that i got this from a member from the forum who had his work done...the advisor called up the shop foreman...he topped it up and said drive another 500 km and bring it back...i took it back at 600 and the oil was low...consuming about half a quart-a quart every 600 km...he then told me...we'll try it again and see if it does the same thing...thats when i lost it and went crazzy and told him i wasn't going to keep going on with this...he then said well i have to go on the oil consumption test for GM to agree to pay for the work...i told him i had been in about 15-20 times before and he said he has no record of it....well then i just raged .....he really pissed me off...i told him that wasn't my fault and it was the stupid advisors fault because they hadn't been recording it...thats when he said he'll have a meeting with the service manager and see what they can do...he talked to him the following day...i called in early morning....they have the parts ordered...(since friday) they should be in tomorrow and shes going in for surgery early tomorrow morning just a thanks to the people on the forum for helping me get what i want done...special thanks to the member who posted this document

Oil consumption test confirmed what I told the dealer – was using a quart of oil every 1300 miles or so. Only had to take it back once. GM agreed to do the ring job (replace faulty rings that were in most 2001’s). Was in the shop 3-4 days for ring job, which was a success. If you get any bs from dealer stating "your oil consumption is normal" - show them the below GM document:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
GM OFFICIAL OIL CONSUMPTION GUIDELINES

This information can be found in the following service information bulletin and provides guidance to dealers on this issue: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines #01-06-01-011. This covers all 1996 - 2001 passenger cars and gasoline powered light duty trucks under 8500 LB GVW.

Oil Consumption. The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi.). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi) or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition. Many factors can affect an owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

Gasket and External Leaks

Inspect the oil pan and engine covers for leakage due to over-tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets. Inspect oil lines and fitting for signs of leakage.

Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator (Dipstick)

Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.

Not Waiting Long Enough After Running Engine to Check Oil Level

The vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 5 minutes (20 minutes for the 3.4 L LQ1) after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading to assure the oil has had enough time to drain back into the crankcase. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.

Improper Oil Fill After an Oil Change

Following an oil change, verify that the proper amount and type of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner's Manual or Service Manual for information on recommended oil quantity, viscosity, and quality.

High Speed or High RPM Driving

Continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs may increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

Towing or Heavy Usage

Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds, and thus increases the rate of oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation System

Verify that the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Incorrect PCV valves, blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil usage.
Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)

On vehicles that are usually driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient lenght to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Engine Temperature

If an engine is run at overheated temperatures (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual) for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.

Engine Wear

Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, work, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will all cause an increase in oil consumption.

Measurement of Oil Consumption

Engines require a period of time to BREAK IN so that moving parts are properly seated. Therefore, oil economy should not be tested until the vehicle has accumulated at least 6400 km (4000 mi). An exception would be allowed only if an engine is reported to be using more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 1600 km (1000 mi).
1. Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary.
2. Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual).
3. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
4. Wait at least 5 minutes (20 minutes for the 3.4 L LQ1), after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that most of the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase.
5. Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick, and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual.
6. Record the vehicle mileage, date and exact oil level on the form included in this bulletin.
7. Ask the customer to verify the oil level, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 1-6 and return the vehicle to the dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low. If the oil level remains above the add mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until 3200 km (2000 mi) has accumulated before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.
8. If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), follow the published symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption."

thanks again guys
Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 PM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

persistent youngster arent you...

...some dealers are tougher than others...
Glad to hear you prevailed...
Old 10-18-2005, 01:29 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Good job staying after them!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Good job bro! I dont ever take BS from stealership either
Old 10-18-2005, 05:20 AM
EMDExpress
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have changed out the PCV valve and moved on. Most problems with the oil come from a bad pcv and high rpm's under light load.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by EMDExpress
I would have changed out the PCV valve and moved on. Most problems with the oil come from a bad pcv and high rpm's under light load.
then you would have been the dumb one..he got a ring job which was the real fix...good job Bickykid
Old 10-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I just hope after all the that dealer has been feeding you they do a good job. Best of luck with the repair. I had this same repair done to mine about four years ago and the oil consumption stopped.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:40 AM
BAND1T
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I just hope after all the that dealer has been feeding you they do a good job. Best of luck with the repair. I had this same repair done to mine about four years ago and the oil consumption stopped.
I would have problems having these guys work on mine.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:02 PM
gkc501
Racer

Bicky - I was the one who posted that document for you. Glad it helped!

Had my ring job done about 50,000 miles ago, I no longer burn oil and the engine runs like new.

Best of luck.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The incredible thing is that the Dealership gets paid to do the warranty work... By pusing you away they get nothing but a pizzed off (former)customer...
Old 10-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

I experience the same oil usage (a bit less)...maybe a quart every 1,300 miles...but I will never allow my local dealership to rip the engine apart (it will never be the same)...I would just carry an extra quart of oil (Mobil 1) with you and refill as necessary.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
srsjuju
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

keep a close eye on your car after that they did a ring job on mine at 1200 miles and a new engine at 9000 miles but to a bad ring job.

Scored the pistons and cyl walls if it starts to make noise get it in I had a hell of a time getting them to take care of mine.

Good luck
Old 10-18-2005, 08:04 PM
gogo4
Pro

I recorded my high usage at 47,500 Miles on my Cadillac DeVille 99'

They made the oil consumption test about 10 freaking times...back and fourth a few mo later I hit about 53 K on the odo!

Well I went back to do the test again and their storry was You are over the mile limit and your warranty is out.

I told them that I have recordet the problem at 47,500 with paperwork and that I will see them in the courtroom with my lawyer.

Damn you should of seen how greatly they took care of me and my car! Supposedly this said by one of their managers " We didn't have to take care of you since your over the mile limit but we will becouse we have great customer service"

haha I lauged out loud and told him to "showe it up his @$$!"

After the 5k Ring job... my caddy still burned quite a bit of oil and all the cables where ran over the engine ... nothing was tucked and it looked like a huge mess...not even close to the factory neat install.

My cruise control did not work anymore after.
I didn't complain since I ended up selling the nice car they ruined.

So if i was in your shoes I would look for a reputable dealer since you have the choice of which shop you like your car to be fixed at.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
BickyDhadwal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkc501
Bicky - I was the one who posted that document for you. Glad it helped!

Had my ring job done about 50,000 miles ago, I no longer burn oil and the engine runs like new.

Best of luck.
thanks again buddy

hopefully they fix mine properly :o
Old 10-19-2005, 03:26 AM
edensknight
Race Director

Originally Posted by stuart
persistent youngster arent you...

...some dealers are tougher than others...
Glad to hear you prevailed...

Bravo!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:22 AM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Persistence = Success

Congrats!

Coming to you live from Pforzheim Germany

Bob
Old 10-19-2005, 05:36 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with the re-ring.

Get notified of new replies

To 01 Oil Consumption

Old 10-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by BickyDhadwal
GM OFFICIAL OIL CONSUMPTION GUIDELINES

Oil Consumption. The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi.). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi) or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Bicky maybe the dealer was giving you a hard times because they are a member of the forum and they knew you had received a speeding ticket trying to show up a cop in a unmarked car when they passed you in Surrey.

J/K

Good thing you got it fixed. What dealer did you take it to? I try and stay away from Flag since I know you have take the car there because of some pictures. Try going to Prestons in Langley they are the sponsor of the BC Corvette Club and the service manager is a vette owner himself.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

My 01 z06 is suing a quart every 1200-1500 miles. I am just installing a catch can and will live with what is left over. It's not worth the risk to me of dealer with the typical dealer screw-ups. My car is mint otherwise and runs great. A little oil is no big deal and This is a 3rd car so it takes me 2.5-3 months before i need to add any and this is driving very aggressively.

Good luck with your repair. I guess it's worth the risk but for me i'll just keep her the way she came from the factory.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:56 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Zilla
Bicky maybe the dealer was giving you a hard times because they are a member of the forum and they knew you had received a speeding ticket trying to show up a cop in a unmarked car when they passed you in Surrey.

Quick Reply: 01 Oil Consumption