Sponsored by:

Lambo Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:19 PM
vcarr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lambo Doors?

Does anybody know where to buy the lambo door conversion kit? Does it bolt on to the original bolt patern? Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 PM
SN8KETR
Instructor

Vertical Doors Inc. is the most popular, although their are a couple other companies that make kits as well. I personally love the look... but wouldn't do it... atleast not for a good while. I know of a guy on another forum I'm on that has them(first corvette in the nation with them) and he said the quality is sub-par and the door fitment isn't the greatest either. Although that was some time ago... I'm still hearing the same complaints about all the kits that are available these days.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:14 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

$2K for door hinges
Old 11-19-2005, 12:42 AM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Lambo Doors" are an interesting look. However, do an internet search, and, you will discover a "number of complaints" regarding not only the product itself, but, fitment, invasive installation requirements (bolting and welding the hinges, as well as, cutting and trimming the door panels), user damage over time (driver and passengers failing to properly and accurately swing door down completely and evenly before closing, and, damaging door jams), flexing, and, door sway. Therefore, be informed. Good luck to you.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:43 AM
ELTGuy_C5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

There is a guy here on the forum who had them installed, they looked good and he was pretty satisfied with them. Not sure how they've held up ove the year though.

He did have them professionally installed and commented that:

"Do it yourself..."

"True bolt on kit, no cutting required."

statements from the makers were about as truthful as an Iraqi Republican Guard Officer talking to a UN Weapons Inspector.

They look cool tho
Old 11-19-2005, 08:10 AM
dpd
Drifting

nice looking,but not wort it.i know 2 people with them.you have to lengthen wiring harnesses,cut door panels,etc.in th end,the fit is lousy,doors bind,etc.1 guy reverted back to original doors and he had the company who made his kit do the install of the lambo doors,but he had more trouble with them then they were worth.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:04 AM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edensknight
"Lambo Doors" are an interesting look. However, do an internet search, and, you will discover a "number of complaints" regarding not only the product itself, but, fitment, invasive installation requirements (bolting and welding the hinges, as well as, cutting and trimming the door panels), user damage over time (driver and passengers failing to properly and accurately swing door down completely and evenly before closing, and, damaging door jams), flexing, and, door sway. Therefore, be informed. Good luck to you.
All very true statements.

1. FItment sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks. Installation took me about 3 hours only. FITMENT of the doors and fenders has taken me well over 72 hours and going, so I just kinda live w/ the shotty gap.

2. No welding of hinges required. CUTTING of FENDER's MOST IMPORTANT FITMENT screw point <- YES, painful. Cutting of the door lip <- even further painful because you can't undo it. Unless you're extremely skilled you WILL get blemishes.

3. Yes, if you don't close the door JUST right you will hit the door jam every now and then and it will show after time.

4. Yes, it DOES wobble when you open and leave it in open position.

Would I do it again? Probably not. All of the issues I can deal with except the fitment. Every time I look at the gap, it drives me crazy. That by itself is what makes it not worth it.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:07 AM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

with no attempt to malign those going this route: $2k for a pita fit? wow. as they say, "you're a braver man than i gunga din!" bub
Old 11-19-2005, 11:20 AM
SN8KETR
Instructor

There was a guy who I've seen post on this forum a few times that if I remembwer correctly had his brother make custom hinges. At the time he didn't have any complaints. So, it can be done right I suppose... but I'm sure it'd take more time and money then most would want to put towards doors.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:42 AM
C5 YA 04
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vectorz
All very true statements.

1. FItment sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks. Installation took me about 3 hours only. FITMENT of the doors and fenders has taken me well over 72 hours and going, so I just kinda live w/ the shotty gap.

2. No welding of hinges required. CUTTING of FENDER's MOST IMPORTANT FITMENT screw point <- YES, painful. Cutting of the door lip <- even further painful because you can't undo it. Unless you're extremely skilled you WILL get blemishes.

3. Yes, if you don't close the door JUST right you will hit the door jam every now and then and it will show after time.

4. Yes, it DOES wobble when you open and leave it in open position.

Would I do it again? Probably not. All of the issues I can deal with except the fitment. Every time I look at the gap, it drives me crazy. That by itself is what makes it not worth it.
do u have any pics of yours?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:23 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

On Ebay was a seller who claimed they were selling the best kit by "Vertical Door Inc". I don't have any experience with these but they look cool. In the auction there was a link to a video that showed the door being opened and closed. The video was linked in a completed auction. Go to Ebay and in search enter:

CHEVY CORVETTE 97-04 C5 VERTICAL DOOR LAMBO DOORS KIT

Then click on "completed auctions". For whatever reason, a different seller's ad comes up if you don't and it doesn't have the video link. The seller with the link is jf_racing_inc. Funny thing is, they don't show anyone getting in or out just opening and closing the door. There seems to be a point that the linkage or hinge transitions from one mode to another and that is evident in the video too. In the ad some mention of fitment, sealing, and cutting is covered and how the cheaper knockoffs made in China are the reason for ill fitment.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 11-19-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:09 PM
b98
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at Turner racing they have a great kit. This is the one I'm getting.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:31 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MrRenoman
On Ebay was a seller who claimed they were selling the best kit by "Vertical Door Inc". I don't have any experience with these but they look cool. In the auction there was a link to a video that showed the door being opened and closed. The video was linked in a completed auction. Go to Ebay and in search enter:

CHEVY CORVETTE 97-04 C5 VERTICAL DOOR LAMBO DOORS KIT
This is the exact kit I have. And that's the other thing.. try dealing w/ their customer service! Wost I've seen yet. My kit they didn't include the wiring conduit. So I called them up and asked them to send me one.

They said "Oh, well we only include that when we feel like it. When we have them in stock, we'll feel like throwing them in. When we don't have them in stock, we just don't include them. You can run down to your hardware store and get some vacuum tubes."

Just FYI, that's what you'll be dealing w/ if you buy their kit.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

The only lambo door vette I've seen here belongs to Billy182.

I like the way it looks, but don't think i'll be putting them on my daily driver.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:09 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

NOT MINE!

Saw this one some time back........

Guy said is was ALL bolt on- not cutting or welding anywhere.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:05 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by diyguy
[SIZE=4]
Saw this one some time back........

Guy said is was ALL bolt on- not cutting or welding anywhere.
He's absolutely wrong. He has the GTFactory kit, and it does require cutting. They ALL are "BOLT ON" -- as in BOLT ON THE HINGES. They just forget to tell you you have to cut fenders and door lips to get the fenders on. There is NO WELDING involved though.

I'll take some pics of mine tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Goonie
Burning Brakes

those are vertical doors, never seen em open up vertically like that, thats pimp.

Get notified of new replies

To Lambo Doors?

Old 11-19-2005, 09:55 PM
corvettego
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Goonie
those are vertical doors, never seen em open up vertically like that, thats pimp.
No it isn't. Vertical Doors Inc kit is the one I have; only opens ~50 degrees.

The GTFactory kit opens 90 degress as the pic above. Looks great from the side. Looks like @ss from most any other angles, but to each their own:

Old 11-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Goonie
Burning Brakes

by vertical i meant literally vertical not the co.

ill pass, too ricey, too wannabe fer me...

like the real thing better (uncs ride)
Old 11-19-2005, 10:48 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Cool. Thanks for sharing. You don't even wanna see MY UNCLE's car. I love the internet.. people brag about things they don't have.

Quick Reply: Lambo Doors?