Sponsored by:

Wal-Mart for Vette Tires (?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Cart99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wal-Mart for Vette Tires (?)

Maybe this is old news, but was recently told that Wal-Mart now sells tires.

I checked their website, and they do sell Goodyears and Michelins in the proper sizes, and you can either have them shipped to your house or to the Wal-Mart tire shop (!) closest to you.

Prices seemed very competitive. Don't know that I would be comfortable handing my keys to a Wal-Mart employee, but may be worth a look anyway if you're shopping for tires . . .
Old 11-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Goonie
Burning Brakes

Old 11-25-2005, 01:53 PM
nmbsun
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cart99
Maybe this is old news, but was recently told that Wal-Mart now sells tires.

I checked their website, and they do sell Goodyears and Michelins in the proper sizes, and you can either have them shipped to your house or to the Wal-Mart tire shop (!) closest to you.

Prices seemed very competitive. Don't know that I would be comfortable handing my keys to a Wal-Mart employee, but may be worth a look anyway if you're shopping for tires . . .
Yes, I checked for tire prices and with Wal-Mart prices and for about $9.00 you get a road hazard warranty and install etc. I think that this is a good deal.

I would have the service manager put in writing that if they did any damage to your wheels that they would replace them. I know first hand how even a Good Year tire shop can ruin a wheel.

Dont just hand them the keys, make it clear that YOU are going to
supervise the job and have the wheels hand torqued to 100 lbs. And dont let them use a impact gun.

Good Luck
Old 11-25-2005, 02:05 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Goonie
I agree... You're gonna go to WalMart and let them touch your car? You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding!!

I'm all for saving money but I don't think letting them touch it is worth it... ever see a nice mag wheel tire machine at Wally world? Oh wait, I haven't "bothered to look"... I wouldn't even consider it!!

I am one of those guys that takes his wheels off, puts them in another vehicle and lets them change the tire at a QUALIFIED SHOP.... but I'll remount it on the car at home myself... thank you very much.

I know... ****!!

Just my $.02... Too many horror stories of poorly trained and/or equipped shops and screw ups for me in order to "save" few bucks...

Old 11-25-2005, 02:37 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Walmart will rule the world, soon
Old 11-25-2005, 02:40 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

walmart hires their tech's off the street with no prior experience ... [this info come directly from a manager]

so .. do you want them working on your car?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Do NOT let Wal Mart touch your car! Are you crazy?

Spend the extra bucks to have them prefessionally balanced and mounted. Wal Mart is not capable of balancing a tire rated for 175 MPH, in my opinion.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:05 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I just bought tires for my '71 at Costco after looking at Sam's. In conversations with the manager, neither one of them will touch a C5 since they don't have the equipment to mount or unmount the runflats. Even if you have already removed the runflats and replaced them with other tires, he indicated that their machines would certainly run the risk of damaging our wide wheels. I'm guessing your location would be the same. I'm OK with them doing my '71 - you can't mess up those old Chevy steel wheels - but I wouldn't take my C5 there. My .02.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Fast98
Safety Car

I would not let them touch anything,maybea toyota
Old 11-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-25-2005, 03:19 PM
MikeNMaxZO6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-25-2005, 03:22 PM
RTSVET
Safety Car

I just purchased new mich pilot sport a/s tires from wal-mart and they priced matched tire rack and i didnt have to pay for shipping and the road hazzard warrenty was only 9.87 for mounting and balanceing.

The wal-mart i had mine shipped (order online and no shipping cost to a local store) to was great and had all new equipment to mount any size tires on any kind of wheel so i took my new weld EVO 775 in 18 and 20 there (just wheels) and the guy that mounted mine said he had worked for other tire companys around here and could do the job and not damage the wheels so i let them and not one scratch on any wheel they did a great job (but i just took the wheels) and not the car but the racks to put the cars on were the same as all of the other tire places around here i went and checked everybody out before i ordered mine
The local tire places were as much as 450.00 higher for the same tires but the best deal was 225.00 more than walmart so i went with walmart and they priced matched tirerack so go check out your local walmart and ask questions and just see if you can save yourself a few hunderd dallors.

JUST MY 0.02 cents

Randy
Old 11-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Why don't you buy the tires from Wal-mart and take them to your favorite place and have them installed???
Old 11-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by VRROOOM2
You're gonna go to WalMart and let them touch your car? You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding!!

I wouldn't even consider it!!

I am one of those guys that takes his wheels off, puts them in another vehicle and lets them change the tire at a QUALIFIED SHOP.... but I'll remount it on the car at home myself.

Too many horror stories of poorly trained and/or equipped shops and screw ups for me.

Did you ever see the techs that work at a Walmart Auto center
How much will you save when they damage all four of your wheels, crack your rocker panels and front fenders when they lift it without pucks and over-torque your lugs. Do you think their techs know how to properly lift a Corvette or even have the proper equipment or training?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:55 PM
HERK
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NEVER
Old 11-25-2005, 03:58 PM
wolfman04
Racer

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Why don't you buy the tires from Wal-mart and take them to your favorite place and have them installed???
Old 11-25-2005, 04:57 PM
RTSVET
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88

I was going to do that but around here all the other tire places wanted 75.00 per wheel to mount and balance them so you are looking at 300 buck just because you didnt buy the tires for them they wanted to screw you my money is hard earned and i not going to get screwed on buying tires i will always look for the best deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Wal-Mart for Vette Tires (?)

Old 11-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by RTSVET
I was going to do that but around here all the other tire places wanted 75.00 per wheel to mount and balance them so you are looking at 300 buck just because you didnt buy the tires for them they wanted to screw you my money is hard earned and i not going to get screwed on buying tires i will always look for the best deal.
Check with local Corvette clubs in your area or post in the Events and Regional Forum to get some recommended and trusted tire/wheel installers in your area.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:24 PM
kkr-c5
Instructor

Originally Posted by screw991le
Walmart will rule the world, soon

Not from my business...
Rat-mart has eliminated too many job in the U.S for me...
KKR
Old 11-25-2005, 05:29 PM
charlie78
Instructor

Generally speaking, no matter who's tire shop you use - watch them closely. I've experienced a nationally known chain ADD weights to those already on a rim when they did a balance. Needless to say I asked the shop supervisor if that was their normal course of action. It wasn't of course, he replied, but I'm still not convinced. Also asked in another case (same chain), if the 'technican' was aware the air suspensioin system had to be turned off on my MKVIII before lifting. Of course he replied, our experts know all about that requirement. Yep, you guessed it, had to stop 'em as they started to raise the car with the system still armed.

And of course it seems each time you visit your tire shop of choice your greeted by a totally new group of faces. Worker turn-over must be rampart. Not surprising since tire work is probably at the bottom of the desired jobs list.

Haven't had an occasion to take the Vette in for tire work - yet. Unless circumstance dictates otherwise, I'll do as I now do for all my rides. Take the problem off the car and throw it in the back of the pickup for the shop to deal with. At least the list of things that can get screwed up by the 'resident expert technician' will be at a minimum.

Last edited by charlie78; 11-25-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart for Vette Tires (?)