Sponsored by:

[Z06] Truck backs over my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Oh and be forewarned that an insurance rep is not your bitch... you are owen pre accident condition.

To one company this may mean a perfectly repaired part with a perfect paint job.... not necessarily new parts. He doesn't have to give you a new hood just because you don't want a "repaired" panel.

I had a customer deamand a new door on his mercedes b/c of a door ding... it was funny.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Ah... trying to get a new hood/facia out if the deal and just pay the extra parts cost... smart my friend. Now I get it.
Ah weehopper, you are understanding. After looking at the hood again, it looks more like a scape and not deep grooved damage. Good Luck with the adjuster, Just wear your local gun club tee shirt and you will be fine. LOL
Old 12-06-2005, 03:49 PM
MikeNMaxZO6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh Crap ....sorry to hear this!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:36 PM
VMSZ06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch. That sucks. Hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

I had a girl back into my 1 year old 300ZX Turbo back in 1993. The front right fender was damaged. The adjuster would only authorize repair of the fender with bondo, not a replacement. The difference in cost was a wopping $180 for the new fender. I replaced it on my own buck, then had my wifes boss, an attorney, write the insurance company to sue them for the difference.

They ended up settling for $750, when if they would have done what I asked in the first place they would have saved $570. They don't care, whatever they can do to save a buck. Most people would have said okay, but we didn't. Screw them, they make more $$$ than most any other industry, they can afford to fix it RIGHT!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:53 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

My front fascia was split into through the middle, they fixed it like new, the most important thing is to take it to one of the higher end auto body shops, and get a paint match gaurantee, If mine didn't match to my liking , they said they would redo it, but it was perfect first time

Good luck
Old 12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Marine
Racer

She is going to Santini's via parts from West Coast Corvette on friday. His insurance will look at it from there. But I'm sure she is going to be in good hands up there. We'll see how things go.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Boob
Pro

Oh and be forewarned that an insurance rep is not your bitch... you are owen pre accident condition.

To one company this may mean a perfectly repaired part with a perfect paint job.... not necessarily new parts. He doesn't have to give you a new hood just because you don't want a "repaired" panel.

I had a customer deamand a new door on his mercedes b/c of a door ding... it was funny.
I don't know about laws outside of Texas, but I work at a law firm and handle all of our property damage claims. On a higher end car like this I'd push for new materials every time in every situation. If the adjuster wants to give you remanufactured materials and you don't want them, simply take the vehicle to a shop you trust and tell em that you want new parts on it. The law states that you have a right to choose where your vehicle gets repaired. At that point, it'll be between the shop and the adjuster as to how much is paid.

While I agree w/ Cobra4B on some issues, but on a corvette I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for new parts.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-07-2005, 08:17 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sorry to hear this.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:36 AM
PowerMad
Pro

Get your attorney to handle it. When you talk to him, clearly define what you expect. In your position, I would expect all damaged components replaced with genuine GM original equipment parts, a careful and detailed inspection (with parts off) for hidden damage (check carefully around hood and facia mountng points).
I definitely want all work performed as a restoration and in a manner that meets factory specifications and requirements for continuation of my warranty and extended warranty.

Ok, enough of my two cents worth. Thanks for listening.

dave
Old 12-08-2005, 02:46 AM
aldrichc5
Racer

If you get a new hood, I would shoot for a MCM hood.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:11 PM
USMC Viet Vet
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope this works out to your complete satisfaction.

Semper Fi
Old 12-08-2005, 06:38 PM
RoadRace00
Advanced

WOW!
I liken your logic here to breaking your limb and the doctor just wants to put a band-aid on it like it was a "door ding."

You and your monster of an industry get paid serious dollars for insurance and then you want to do everything you can to avoid your legal contractual responsibility.
In reality this corvette just became a salvage title after you pay off his corvette simply because he can't live with a desecrated machine.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:04 PM
slong
Melting Slicks

Hate it when stuff like this happens. Good luck on your repairs.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi Marine -

Damn sorry to hear about that.

I would hope that they would replace the fascia and repair the hood - and if the hood is still not to your satisfaction , replace it as well.

I have seen stock hoods here on this forum for $200 (already factory painted - they were take-offs being sold by one of the forum vendors), so that might be an option - look for a stock take-off hood.

good luck man - that just sucks.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In auto repairs less can be more...

In the above case, they'll remove the facia from the car to repair, prep, and re-paint if off of the car, but the hood will be fine, they'll mask off the rest of the car, repair the panel, and blend the paint out then clear the whole hood. After all that they'll put her all back together and it'll be fine.
Sorry, but I humbly have to take exception with you Cobra. Any decent shop would at least paint the ENTIRE hood, then re-clear. Anytime I've had blends and then the panel re-cleared, the part that was blended faded every damn time. I would agree that a repair is easy enough, but at least prep, paint and clear the entire panel, not just part of it. If you can get new parts, all the better!

Get notified of new replies

To Truck backs over my Z06

Old 12-09-2005, 07:37 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I seriously doubt you will get new panels but they will paint the entire hood and blend the fenders. If they replace every part on cars that was scratch your insurance would be triple. You havr the right to OEM parts and not some Chinese crap. Pictures look like scrapes. Focus more on who does the repair. Lawyer cost more than the repair.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had some damage to my c4 about 8 years ago. I took it to the most expensive, corvette friendly, best word of mouth etc shop in my area. They insisted smc was easy to repair and it would be perfectly fixed. I suggested parts replacement. They repaired all areas and within 1 month, it began cracking and bubbling. This process was repeated in excess of 15 times. I lost my car for 5 months out of the year, every years for 6 years. They were kind enough to re-repair it during the snowy months.

My point to all of this is,
The most expensive shop is not nescessarily the best.
Lifetime guarantee sometimes means a lifetime of aggrivation while dealing with incompetance.
Most IMPORTANTLY: A new panel has an almost zero % chance of giving you greif after the job is finished.
I will NEVER AGAIN fix a panel that can be so easily changed.
I spent more money in phone calls and fuel going back and forth to a shop 25 miles from home, than the new panels would have cost.
Choice is yours. I felt compelled to share my extreme case. Hope it works out well whichever route you take.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:54 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If my panels were cracked or damaged I would want new if poosible. If they were scratched or scraped I would not expect new but won't refuse them.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Truck backs over my Z06