C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Type Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:51 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default use monitor, but never more than 1 yr, 10k miles regardless

Originally Posted by shannanl
Thanks for the info. It does get below zero here so I will stay with the 5W. I have heard horror stories of guys switching types. I will give it a go. One other thing. Do you guys rely on the car to tell you when to change oil or do you change it at 3000 miles? My driving type is probably normal. No racing or extended hard driving.

Thanks,

Shannan
glad I mentioned the 'zero' limit, didn't expect it got colder than that there, so good choice staying with the 5w30.

with Talon's info from the manual, just remember the fine print -- NEVER more than 1 year or 10K miles, regardless of the oil monitor system.

There's one other section of the manual (at least in both of ours) that should also be remembered.

It says "The (oil life) system won't detect dust in the oil. So, if you drive in a dusty area, be sure to change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or sooner if the CHANGE OIL SOON message appears. Remember to reset the system whenever the oil is changed."

Of course the term 'dusty area' is really subjective, even New York City streets have dust! Thankfully, since we do not typically drive ours more than 3k/year anyway (garage queens), it's moot, cause they gets changed at/less than 3k, anyway.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:56 PM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

I don't even drive mine 3,000 miles a year (I know, ) but when I do change oil it's Mobil Synthetic 5W-30.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM
shannanl
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I noticed the dust warning in the owners manual. There is not much dust here. There is a bunch of pollen in the air during the Spring. I might just have it changed more often during the spirng. Heck a few bucks on an oil change is well worth keeping the car running good.

Shannan
Old 01-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by theadmiral94

The subtle advantage of 10w30 oil is it may not contain Viscosity Index builders which are a less-than desireable additive (but required with anything lower than a 10w oil).
A lot of good quality 5w30 synthetics don't need viscosity index improvers either. In fact, the German made Castrol 0w30 uses almost no viscosity index improvers at all. It's base oil is of the highest quality which allows it to be on the thick end of the 30 weight range while still flowing extremely well in extreme cold which gives it the 0w rating.

Quick Reply: Oil Type Question