Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the definition for "Bright Metal"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:58 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What is the definition for "Bright Metal"?

I just put a call into my local Chevy dealer, inquiring about a claim for my rear set of high polished rims that each have fractures in one of their respective spokes.

The tech I spoke to wasn't sure if they would be covered under my GMPP warranty or not, but in checking my warranty, there is NO exclusion made for wheels. However there is one for "Bright Metal".

Anyone know what that means? I hope it isn't a snarky way for them to get out of replacing my dangerously defective wheels under warranty. To me, "bright metal" refers to trim, not wheels, but offhand, I can't think of any "bright metal" objects on my plastic car, other than the motorized antenna mast -- and the highly polished rims.

Opinions? Anyone had their thin spokes replaced under warranty? I'd like to have some backup, here.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:04 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It used to mean things like stainless steel but with so much plastic chrome plated today, it could mean almost anything.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Ttime
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Bright metal usually means chrome. I would think that high polished wheels would not meet that definition. They should cover them if they developed cracks.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:55 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
It used to mean things like stainless steel but with so much plastic chrome plated today, it could mean almost anything.
I agree...means (meant) finish on trim items (interior and exterior) made of chrome, stainless, aluminum, etc. Could even be construed as the chrome or "bright" coating on wheels. However, if the cracks you are referring to are in fact structural defects and a safety issue and not just an appearance defect then I would think it should be covered. Sounds like you're getting the all too frequent "duh" from the dealer/insurer. I would pursue. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Cheers

Last edited by PierEagle; 02-08-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:29 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm waiting for a call back from my local dealer. I also asked for a quote on replacing the front skid bar assembly. Should be interesting.

In the meantime, I called a long time friend and business associate who owns a Chevrolet dealership in a distant city, to ask his opinion. His service manager called me back within 15 minutes, and when I described the problem, he suggested that I ask to speak with the service manager after showing the service advisor the problem, and that if he balked, asked to have a GM rep come into the equation.

One of the things he asked, was if the tires were original. I told him no and he said that a lot of tire places don't have the right equipment to handle the large rear rims and it is possible they could have been damaged that way. We ruled out the possibility that the PO ran over something "hard", otherwise the front wheels would have the same problem. He did suggest that if just one wheel had the crack, they would probably swap it out as a goodwill courtesy, but getting two swapped out might prove more difficult, but that I ought to stick with the claim.

So it looks like unless my local dealer is unusually good natured, I'm probably going to have an uphill battle, even though my warranty does NOT exclude wheels. We'll see what happens. The local dealer was supposed to call me back this afternoon with some answers. Still waiting for the call.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:56 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the club. I hope I'm wrong but I think you gonna hear defense number 15-A, "It's the other guy's fault." Although possible, I've never had a tire shop "break" a wheel, though they have scuffed a few up like they had been dragged a couple of miles on a rough road. Good luck, hope it works out.

Cheers

Get notified of new replies

To What is the definition for "Bright Metal"?

Quick Reply: What is the definition for "Bright Metal"?