Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? For runflat people

Old 02-27-2006, 12:04 PM
tommybilt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? For runflat people

I hear a lot of people getting rid of their run flats. What do you do for flat tires or in the event of a flat?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:16 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I was wondering about that myself when I was ready for new tires. I came to the conclusion that I cant remember the last time I had a blow out. I also have a cell phone, and roadside service. Its kinda funny there are so many things that can break on a car and leave you stranded yet we only worry about backups for tires, How many of us carry extra belts, hoses, or even a couple gallons of water.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:26 PM
RobBob
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I got this when I dumped the runflats.
Continental Tire ContiComfort Kit
Old 02-27-2006, 12:26 PM
tommybilt
Racer

You are right about the other things that can brake on a car. The way I see it is that you will have to get towed to a tire shop, if they are open.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:28 PM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RockyL32
I was wondering about that myself when I was ready for new tires. I came to the conclusion that I cant remember the last time I had a blow out. I also have a cell phone, and roadside service. Its kinda funny there are so many things that can break on a car and leave you stranded yet we only worry about backups for tires, How many of us carry extra belts, hoses, or even a couple gallons of water.
These things should be part of your regular maintenance. You can't plan on what may out on the roadway. See: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ire&forum_id=1
Old 02-27-2006, 12:33 PM
man00dude
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dunbindun(tov)
These things should be part of your regular maintenance. You can't plan on what may out on the roadway. See: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ire&forum_id=1

If you stick with run flats get feed back from other brands from forum members who have made the switch. Good info.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:37 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RobBob
Nice idea. I'm getting one.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:47 PM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

See Conti package label: Seals most punctures ...

Even if you carry a full size spare, there are times/places you do not want to be out changing it. Call me older, wiser (wiser than I used to be; not wiser than you), and willing to put up with RF limitations. Do you feel lucky? DBD
Old 02-27-2006, 03:40 PM
JCFILM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tommybilt
I hear a lot of people getting rid of their run flats. What do you do for flat tires or in the event of a flat?
My other car (non Vette) has had two blow outs from driving over nails on the street/highway in the last three years.

So I'm sticking with my GoodYear run flats.

Sound hasn't bothered me at all - I think that's overhyped just as I use to hear that you don't want to buy a corvette as they have too many noises. That's also what I heard from some NSX owners when I was considering a NSX - corvettes are poorly put together. My vette is quiet and smooth riding - very much the opposite of what I heard. It's a great car.

If they are replacing the tires because they like to race their cars and it's a performance issue then I can understand that. But I don't race my car.

And I know some people complain about the sound - Skip the tire replacement and buy a new exhaust - then you won't hear the runflats..

Plus I like the fact that in case I have problems I can drive the car to get the tire replaced rather than having my car towed. Towing can be an experience all in itself. So avoiding towing by having runflats is a big plus on my list as well.

In the end whether we are talking about run flats or non runflats, exhausts, mods - it really boils down to your personal choice/likes/dislikes. Everyone's different.

Last edited by JCFILM; 02-27-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Railfan
Burning Brakes

I would stick with run-flats, but I hear that not all tire garages or service stations will fix them. It can be difficult to find a service garage with the right equipment to handle run-flats (without wrecking your rims). Also, not all brands of run-flats can be repaired, which would really cost when the time came (if it ever did) to replace the damaged run-flat. Run-flats are very, very expensive compared to non run-flats.

I am going to be replacing my run-flats this spring, and I keep wavering back and forth on which way to go. (I hate the idea of having to change a tire on a dark and rainy night, or somewhere on a back road on a hill with no shoulder...I'm too old to be crawling around in that crap!) I have not had a flat with my C5 ever, but have had them with my other vehicles (so its only a matter of time).
I would love it if GY were to make the new run-flats currently on the C6, in stock C5 sizes. I hear they are quieter. But then, they probably cost more also.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm sticking with runflats. I've had 4 nail/screws in my RR tire. The first two nails did not penetrate the tire but the third one did and since it was in the sidewall it had to be replaced at 13,900 miles. The new RR tire picked up a sheet metal screw in the first 500 miles and had to be patched/plugged. The right rear is plagued!!

Old 02-27-2006, 04:34 PM
FRC2
Racer

Originally Posted by RobBob
Curious? ...Could this damage the tire sensors inside?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I carry an air compressor, a plug kit and soon a small scissors jack in the car. I also carry a cell phone and have emergency road service on my car insurance.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:49 PM
JDLearjet
Instructor

How much is your life worth? Experience last summer:

It is a beautiful 82 degree sunny day here in South Florida, so decided to take the wife on a spirited ride to nowhere. On the way back, at a high rate of speed, I ran over something (sounded like a tin can). I slowed down, but did not think much about it. A few minutes later, at legal highway speed, the HUD says “check gages.” WTF, look at DIC and find out Left Front Tire flat. I look over at the wife “ Do you know we have a flat tire?” NO WAY! The car handles perfectly. Not the slightest hint of a problem.

It was only when we slowed down to pull into a gas station that the tire problem was noticeable. I tried to re-pressurize the flat, but the air was leaking out as fast as I was filling it up. We were driving with ZERO pressure in that tire, at highway speed, for 20 miles, without any deterioration in handling. Amazing!

I had been debating which brand of tire to replace the worn rears. Goodyear EMT’s will be installed on Monday.

Also, FYI, in Florida, anyway, several people have been clipped by idiot drivers while pulled over the side of the road on major highways. Including LEO's. No Thank you.

Remember, even if you can't immediatly find a local tire shop to work on your runflat, any service station can put a temporary plug in your tire. When you have the time, and can locate a tire shop that caters to Vettes, you can have the tire patched properly. My .02
Old 02-27-2006, 10:51 PM
works4me
Navigator

Been asking myself the same question for a while, then went for Michelin run flats a few month ago. Yesterday, I found out that one of the rear tires reported 13 PSI and would not hold pressure. No big deal, I drove around a few miles to locate a Michelin friendly tire shop: turned out that my rims were oxydized, and air was leaking (didn't know this could happen). Shop looked at it, cleaned the rim, explained the problem to me, and did not charge me a cent (became friend forever in the process). Now, let me see what would have happened without run flats: perhaps a tow (scary), or perhaps I would have sprayed goo all around the inside of my tire for nothing (I bet my pressure sensor would have loved that..). Not ot mention the time and money possibly involved in the process. So now I know what I like to do: run flats work for me!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Its a love hate relationship...don't like the noisey tires but like the safety aspect
Old 02-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Jimsjam33
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Run flats

I love to drive to Las Vegas once or twice a month . Thats about 200 miles . If I get a flat ( never have ) I believe I can get to civilization within the limits of the runflats . Thats called piece of mind .
If I had decided against the runflats , I'd have to buy a powerful compressor , and a patch kit . If your in the middle of the Mojave Desert ( say at 11PM ) baby you are screwed. First, you have to find the hole and make the precision cut plug . Other cars passing you up at 80 to 100 plus. Then use your compressor and eventually ( if your lucky ) get out of the desert. No thanks..I'll pay extra for the run flats and get home safely . Oh yeah , I'm 60 years old and I don't need to get under the car at any time ! Auto Club is nice , but they don't always work in that area when you need them.
Non-run flats essentials are as follows: 1. a super flashlight 2. a heavy duty compressor 3. a professional plug kit 4. a pair of Dickie overalls 5. Better than 20-20 vision 6. Make sure you notify your wife or lady friends that they can never drive the car further than the 7-11.

Get notified of new replies

To ?? For runflat people

Old 02-28-2006, 12:28 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by JCFILM
So I'm sticking with my GoodYear run flats.
I'm staying with them also, for now.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

Originally Posted by tommybilt
What do you do for flat tires or in the event of a flat?
I will do the same thing I would for any other type of incapacitating failure.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:19 AM
DBFCO2
Racer

Default run flats

Costly, noisy BUT I have never had a flat better safe then sorry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ?? For runflat people