Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is purchasing a Z06 worth the xtra $?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:47 PM
markviii
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was all about open top motoring and rowing through the gears for me! I only looked at convertibles and coupes. I ended up with a coupe.

If you are going to track the car a lot, then you'll want a Z06. If you don't car about open top motoring, definetely consider the Z06.

The price difference is not the much when comparing unsed loaded coupes to Z06's.......convertibles might even price higher.

Ken
Old 04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

Originally Posted by ArKay99
You are refering to CD or coefficient of drag. The coupe has the least of the 3 with .28, the FRC and Z06 have .30, and the vert has .33. The Z06 has the fastest top speed due to the extra hp at 174mph, the coupe at 172, and the vert at 168. Those figures vary slightly due to the different hp levels of differnt models and years but they are all pretty close. I don't know too many that would attain those speeds on public roads though.
Actually I believe the top speed goes to the coupe, then the Z06 because of the CD. The additional HP and RPM range of the Z06 still doesn't overcome the CD. But hey what's 2 - 3 MPH among Vette friends. Believe me, no fart can equipt Civic is going to pass you in any of the C5 Vette models.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT-4 CE
I love guys like you. Never wrong. Your opinion is the only one the could possibly be accurate.

Your analogy has zero relevance to the topic of whether a person truly likes the FRC or would prefer to have a removable top. When it comes to body style preference or whether a car has a removable top, there is no right or wrong, just opinion.

I am glad you think your opinion is better than every person who every bought an FRC or Z06. Maybe you are in denial - you choose to beleive a removable top is better than 55 more HP?
No, I can have 55+ more HP a lot cheaper than getting a Z06 plus my top comes off? Ouch
Old 04-04-2006, 05:53 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Originally Posted by EBZ0602
LiguidDI U R A TOOL

If for nothing else the handling of the Z06 out weighs any other reason to buy the Zee, but the Zee is lighter, faster, and IMHO looks better!!
have a look see;

But then you should test drive all models in question and base your decision on what you like and not what everyone here say because all opions are different

EBZ0602

Why don't you go drink and drive.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

The Z06 guys are jealous when the drive by a coupe and see them with their tops off. Just admit it guys! It makes you feel sad that you have to sit in that hot steamy cabin. lol
Old 04-04-2006, 06:03 PM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

Originally Posted by LiquidDI
The Z06 guys are jealous when the drive by a coupe and see them with their tops off. Just admit it guys! It makes you feel sad that you have to sit in that hot steamy cabin. lol
Not jealous..... steamy, we get that way when we see a lady with her top off.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:51 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

You nailed all of us! Shux.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

smooth ******* boys, smooth *******
Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
rwsr50
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LT-4 CE
You nailed all of us! Shux.
Yeah, but we can't believe anything YOU say.

By the way, are all ZO6 drivers liars, or just you???
Old 04-04-2006, 09:05 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

I've got both and I drive both regularly. If it's nice enough the top is out on the coupe. If I could only have one it would be the Z. More of everything, period.

You must test drive them all and then decide.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

No, I can have 55+ more HP a lot cheaper than getting a Z06 plus my top comes off? Ouch
With the type of posting you've done in this thread, nobody will ever take you serious. I've been around here a long time and can only think of a few people who've posted more rediculous ideas. Just because you want the top to come out of your car does not mean everybody else does. We all have different ideas of what we like and don't like and just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a liar.

If today was April 1, I'd find this rather amusing. Since it's not, I find it quite sad. I guess with the 1000's of people on this site, we're all lucky there aren't more of you.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:15 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Why don't you go drink and drive.
Nice. Not only rude and offensive, but advocating an illegal activity.

I have never gotten into anything with another forum member, but you either get some sick enjoyment out of this or you are a tool.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 PM
slicksilver11
Racer

As everyone has already said, It all depends what you are looking for.
I owned a 98 coupe. Loved the car - enjoyed taking the top out, thought it looked good.
I sold it a year later because I wanted a convertible. I really like the feeling of the top being off all together.
My car is not a DD, so I usually use it when the weather is beautiful.
what a feeling to be in the open air.
The vert with the top up feels a little more restrictive than the coupe did. I don't know if this is how the Z would feel - never drove one.
The couple was nice - liked looking out through the glass roof.
The vert and the coupe had enough ***** for me and I was not looking to mod it. I can only imagine what the Z feels like to drive.

To each his own, Drive both...Get a feel for the car.
You will get many opinions on the car, but you are the only one that can make that decision.
Good luck with your choice...
Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Besides the solid performance advantage, and way better looks...

Why have just any regular C5, when you can have the BEST C5 they ever made?

A coupe will always be just that, another corvette. Now a Z06...that will always be something above and beyond the normal vette.

Now, at the same time. Personally I think that if you're not sure by this point, than a Z06 just isn't for you.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:56 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dagon138
Besides the solid performance advantage, and way better looks...

Why have just any regular C5, when you can have the BEST C5 they ever made?

A coupe will always be just that, another corvette. Now a Z06...that will always be something above and beyond the normal vette.

Now, at the same time. Personally I think that if you're not sure by this point, than a Z06 just isn't for you.

Pain it the *** to take off the t-tops in the old TA. I'd imagine just the same *** pain with the whole roof. Most of the time I just left it on. It comes down to what you want. Do you want the performance and exclusivity of a Z or not? If you had a convertible, would you want someone staring at the back of your head? If you had a coupe, would you be satisfied with a base Corvette? Sure, I would've liked a removable roof, but not as much as having more power, handling and lines of the FRC.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:16 AM
H82WRK
Instructor

The Z has always appealed to me once I saw my first one when I was doing F&I at the Chevy dealership. To me the Z is like the ultimate although in all honesty I would have never imagined having a vette anyway. Just seemed a little ridiculous you know?

Now the time has come I have worked my *** off and the vette is a reality. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and I am very worried that I will get in it and wish "oh I should have got the this or that" make sense?

I am leaning so hard to the Z because it just has been a wet dream for me since I have seen it. The targa top is way cool on the coupe but I am not sure how hard it would be for me to take the top off all the time??

I have had a convertible before and I felt vunerable in it so I would like to stick with a HT.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:27 PM
rwsr50
Burning Brakes

I can take the targa top off and have it latched in the back in about 15 seconds, easily. Don't even have to get in the car to do it either. Reach in, flip 3 latches, pick the top off, set it in the back, and flip 2 more latches there. Real simple. Soooo, don't let any fears of removing/installing the top influence your decision, whatever it may end up being.

Get notified of new replies

To Is purchasing a Z06 worth the xtra $?

Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 PM
H82WRK
Instructor

Is the top heavy?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:29 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6vettepilot
Actually I believe the top speed goes to the coupe, then the Z06 because of the CD. The additional HP and RPM range of the Z06 still doesn't overcome the CD. But hey what's 2 - 3 MPH among Vette friends. Believe me, no fart can equipt Civic is going to pass you in any of the C5 Vette models.
I guess it comes down to where you get the info from. I got mine from a Car and Driver shootout. The Z they had done almost 180 -- 179 to be exact. But this thread isn't about how fast they can go, I was just forwarding the info I had on the subject. They ALL go pretty fast!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

IMO the coupe is a no brainer, it looks a LOT better and the performance difference is just not a real factor. I did a HPDE for the first time last month and the Z06's in my class were slowing me down.

Also took the top off this morning for the first time this year it was really nice.

Use the price difference to invest in performance parts latter, when you can decide what direction you want to go in performance. Like drag racing, road racing, autocross or just a mean street machine. A STS twin turbo setup would be closer to reality...

Quick Reply: Is purchasing a Z06 worth the xtra $?