Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about VIN's on GM products...How many places on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:25 PM
GlassMan99
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A question about VIN's on GM products...How many places on the car?

I recently heard a incident where a late model Trans Am was stolen and the the police recovered what was left of the rear shell......no front end, no axles, no drive train, no interiors.....literally just some rear fenders, and a trunk area. I was told that GM puts the VIN in 6 or 8 places through out the car. I was wondering if anyone new where the VIN is placed on either the Trans AM or on a C5? I ask this because I was curious how the police are able to identify a vehicle once it has been stripped for parts. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM
ja03c5
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a few places...windshield of course...door...sometimes in the trunk depending on model...glove box...there are more...but it's late...can't think.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

They put it on the dash where everyone can see it. There is one on the drivers door. The C5 has it on the pass side front frame rail. There is at least one other location on the frame. I believe the Camaro / Firebird was in the highly stolen category so they are mandated to place a derivative of the VIN on tags on all sheet metal (fenders, hood and trunklid). If that tag is removed or obliterated it evidence that the sheetmetal is stolen. It's been alot of years since I worked auto theft so some of this may have changed.

Get notified of new replies

To A question about VIN's on GM products...How many places on the car?

Quick Reply: A question about VIN's on GM products...How many places on the car?