Sponsored by:

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:50 AM
tknight4305
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

What is the best brand of headlight bulb that is like that blue color?? Pics if you have any....
Old 06-16-2006, 01:10 AM
tknight4305
Racer

Anyone???
Old 06-16-2006, 01:12 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it! Stick with a good set of PIAA or equiv bulbs with a color temperature of around 3900-4300 K. You will LOSE headlight brightness by going to the trendy blue (higher color temp) bulbs. I speak from experience, and losing brightness is NOT a good thing.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:17 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go with a inexpensive set of HID's (around 300 bucks from RevXtreme) or the bling bling kit from NOT-MEE (around 1000-1200 bucks) which includes a new DOT approved housing and all the required hardware included!

Here's mine with 6000K HID's installed in the stock housings, one day I'll upgrade to NOT-MEE's kit!

Old 06-16-2006, 01:36 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Even if you put in HID bulbs, you are still stuck with the really crappy plastic headlight lenses. The best lighting for the factory pop-up headlight system is the GM European T-84 glass headlights and Halogen H-4 bulbs. The lowest price I have seen for T-84s is from the guy at www.cibieusa.com, who is also a C5 driver. The T-84s have insanely better light beam shape and control. When I took out my stock headlights I just threw than away as I consider them unsafe with ANYbrightness of bulb. Real crap thanks to our ignorant government with terrible performance specifications and standards.

Unless you want to remove the pop-ups entirely and install a complete HID with projector lens assembly, the only solution is the T-84 with H4 Halogen bulbs. If you decide to rip out the factory style lamps altogether, you can do a custom or semi-custom HID Projector system which can put out about the same amount of light as the T-84 setup. Either way will be MUCH better than the crappy OEM plastic lamps.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:04 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,255 Likes on 1,674 Posts

get you some of these...

...and then you'll be

Old 06-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Bishop
Pro

Originally Posted by jdmvette
get you some of these...

...and then you'll be

More info please!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:02 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,255 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Originally Posted by Bishop
More info please!!!

it's a dancing stormtrooper.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:41 AM
tknight4305
Racer

Thanks for everyones opinion
Old 06-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by FiberglassFan
Even if you put in HID bulbs, you are still stuck with the really crappy plastic headlight lenses. The best lighting for the factory pop-up headlight system is the GM European T-84 glass headlights and Halogen H-4 bulbs. The lowest price I have seen for T-84s is from the guy at www.cibieusa.com, who is also a C5 driver. The T-84s have insanely better light beam shape and control. When I took out my stock headlights I just threw than away as I consider them unsafe with ANYbrightness of bulb. Real crap thanks to our ignorant government with terrible performance specifications and standards.

Unless you want to remove the pop-ups entirely and install a complete HID with projector lens assembly, the only solution is the T-84 with H4 Halogen bulbs. If you decide to rip out the factory style lamps altogether, you can do a custom or semi-custom HID Projector system which can put out about the same amount of light as the T-84 setup. Either way will be MUCH better than the crappy OEM plastic lamps.
They are on SPECIAL right now too.
Corvette C5 European Code Headlight - Regular Price $125 ea. - Special Price $ 69.95 ea.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The Vette-HID from not-mee

Originally Posted by jdmvette
get you some of these...

...and then you'll be

Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've been thorugh almost every combination of headlight "upgrades" in my search for better nighttime visability.

I started with the stock US spec housings with a "silverstar" type bulb in it, not much improvement.

I then went to european T-84 glass housings with a higher wattage halogen bulb, better than US spec plastic housings because of the better focus of the light and had a visable cutoff (but still not good enough for me).

then I installed a 6000k HID kit in the T-84 housings, noticeably brighter than the halogen bulbs, but the increased light output caused all kinds of undesireable glare to oncoming traffic due to the fact that the housing ws not designed for HID, plus the light was more intense right in front of the car and not down the road where it needed to be. also I didn't have highbeams, because of the HID bulb, anymore.

finally.... I upgraded to the Vette-HID headlights, a true DOT approved HID projector headlight assy with killer highbeams!
the light is BRIGHT and projected down the road where it needs to be, but because of the very noticeable cutoff, it's not blinding to oncoming traffic. PERFECT!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:33 PM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Checking in thanks for all the kind words guys

Last edited by NOT-MEE; 06-17-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:24 AM
TA8088
Pro

Old 06-17-2006, 06:40 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
I've been thorugh almost every combination of headlight "upgrades" in my search for better nighttime visability.

I started with the stock US spec housings with a "silverstar" type bulb in it, not much improvement.

I then went to european T-84 glass housings with a higher wattage halogen bulb, better than US spec plastic housings because of the better focus of the light and had a visable cutoff (but still not good enough for me).

then I installed a 6000k HID kit in the T-84 housings, noticeably brighter than the halogen bulbs, but the increased light output caused all kinds of undesireable glare to oncoming traffic due to the fact that the housing ws not designed for HID, plus the light was more intense right in front of the car and not down the road where it needed to be. also I didn't have highbeams, because of the HID bulb, anymore.finally.... I upgraded to the Vette-HID headlights, a true DOT approved HID projector headlight assy with killer highbeams!
the light is BRIGHT and projected down the road where it needs to be, but because of the very noticeable cutoff, it's not blinding to oncoming traffic. PERFECT!

This IS the correct way to use HID lighting, in an engineered projector system. Take this advice to heart! The replacement HID bulbs just don't put the arc light source in the absolute correct place inside the housing for correct beam shaping. An engineered projector assembly corrects the problem with a fully integrated lamp and lens. If you don't do T-84s with H4s, the ONLY other way is to go all out and get a real HID projector system like this guy did. Its big bucks but it works correctly, and that is what is important.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:26 AM
BAD AZZ C5
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for the post!
Old 06-17-2006, 09:48 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

[QUOTE=FiberglassFan]Even if you put in HID bulbs, you are still stuck with the really crappy plastic headlight lenses. The best lighting for the factory pop-up headlight system is the GM European T-84 glass headlights and Halogen H-4 bulbs. [QUOTE]

If you are interested in the Euros. I have a set!!!!!

The glass housing will make a substantial difference over the OEM domestic ones

These were in my Vert - until I had Not-Mee come to the house and install his (BTW, they are wonderful).

Send a PM if interested (anyone is welcome)

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights

Quick Reply: Headlights