Sponsored by:

Leaking Gas Tank??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Dean Prevolos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking Gas Tank??

My 99 Vette is dripping fuel on the passenger side. I assume it is the sending unit or fuel line, not the actual right tank. Anyone have this problem before and how was it fixed. I put the car up on my lift but can't get to the problem. Thanks, Dean.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:31 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

remove the steel shield, location?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM
artfahie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the same thing happen on my drivers side, fuel was leaking like there was no tomorrow ! Turned out the fuel filter and the line that "popped" into the gas tank were the problem, once snapped in I got a temp fix, spent about $20 at a GM dealer (the part was tough to locate) and replaced the entire unit... now it works fine. It cost me more in lost fuel than the part itself ran ! Get it done... it's worth risking a fire !

Art Fahie
Maine
Old 09-16-2006, 01:38 PM
convertible lover
Racer

Originally Posted by artfahie
I just had the same thing happen on my drivers side, fuel was leaking like there was no tomorrow ! Turned out the fuel filter and the line that "popped" into the gas tank were the problem, once snapped in I got a temp fix, spent about $20 at a GM dealer (the part was tough to locate) and replaced the entire unit... now it works fine. It cost me more in lost fuel than the part itself ran ! Get it done... it's worth risking a fire !

Art Fahie
Maine
Can you explain a little more on how this was done. How difficult is it to get to the filter? I filled the tank yesterday and while it was still filling it started to leak out the bottom on the drivers side. Thanks Jack
Old 09-16-2006, 01:54 PM
artfahie
Burning Brakes

The hardest part was getting a new filter, no local dealerships had one so it took a day. The car MUST be lifted on a regular commercial lift, the filter is (fairly) eay to get at but can be done much more easily if you have total acess under the car. I had a mechanic do it (a lift makes it much easier to do), he charges me 1/2 hour labor (about $35.00), the entire repair came in at under $60... well worth it. Hope this helps.

Art Fahie
Maine
Old 09-16-2006, 02:04 PM
scoaman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 cars in my club have had it a 97 coupe, 98 vert and 99 coupe. Fuel filter leak no problems after change.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Gas Tank??

Quick Reply: Leaking Gas Tank??