Sponsored by:

[Z06] Weel opinions and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:52 PM
zenohsixxx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weel opinions and suggestions

hello all, i have a 2003 zo6 and i love the wheels but one thing that gets to me if when dealers put all the juice on the tired and eventually makes its way to the wheels and stains them or even eats into the clear. Now i have a powder coater who will charge $45 a wheel for blast and coat. Pretty good deal to say the least but i worked in auto body for 5 years at my fathers shop and have a quart of spies metallic black and a 2 gallons of spies clear lol. I have all the materials and essentials in order to do this, wont take too long either a few hours at the most. Powder coat is such a durable and smooth finish, if done right and will outlast the paint no doubt. My options for powder coat were: 1. all black, either flat or gloss, not too sure. 2. handf polish the lip where the spokes end and black on the spoke area. 3. the ceramichrome finish which looks like a polished aluminum. If i were to paint the wheels i would do a chrome silver on the lip and black in the spoke areas. Also, i had another idea of just doing the flat arean on the lip the chromesilver and the rest black if you can get what i'm trying to say. So what i'm pretty much asking is opinion, suggestions and ideas with pictures, prferabaly on a blue or electron blue woudl help the most but other colors are good also so get back to me with some good feedback!! haha later on.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 PM
zenohsixxx
Burning Brakes

Default Anyone?

is anyone out there.. i know you are, i see the views, you can not fool me heh.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:02 AM
elemon
Racer

Originally Posted by zenohsixxx
hello all, i have a 2003 zo6 and i love the wheels but one thing that gets to me if when dealers put all the juice on the tired and eventually makes its way to the wheels and stains them or even eats into the clear. Now i have a powder coater who will charge $45 a wheel for blast and coat. Pretty good deal to say the least but i worked in auto body for 5 years at my fathers shop and have a quart of spies metallic black and a 2 gallons of spies clear lol. I have all the materials and essentials in order to do this, wont take too long either a few hours at the most. Powder coat is such a durable and smooth finish, if done right and will outlast the paint no doubt. My options for powder coat were: 1. all black, either flat or gloss, not too sure. 2. handf polish the lip where the spokes end and black on the spoke area. 3. the ceramichrome finish which looks like a polished aluminum. If i were to paint the wheels i would do a chrome silver on the lip and black in the spoke areas. Also, i had another idea of just doing the flat arean on the lip the chromesilver and the rest black if you can get what i'm trying to say. So what i'm pretty much asking is opinion, suggestions and ideas with pictures, prferabaly on a blue or electron blue woudl help the most but other colors are good also so get back to me with some good feedback!! haha later on.
Hmmm... good question. Personally not a real big fan of polished lip on black (it looks good, but I just prefer the all black look). Personally, I'd probably go with a competition grey or graphite. Sidenote: Concerning powdercoating, (something you may want to inquire on), there was a post recently talking about the possibility of weakening alum wheels as a result of the pcoat baking process (basically, there's a right way to do it and perhaps several wrong ways). I would make sure whomever was to do the work was knowledgable of this. Thought it was interesting anyway, because I too have thought about going with pcoat and that's something I sure wouldn't have thought about (a great forum here!).

Last edited by elemon; 09-17-2006 at 12:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weel opinions and suggestions

Quick Reply: [Z06] Weel opinions and suggestions