Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove my first C5 yesterday, whats that hum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Mad_Maxxx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by BarryBum
I test drove my first C5 yesterday. It was silver 97 with red interior and had 125k miles on it. There was a hum/buzz that sounded like it was coming from behind my left ear. I imagine that was the fuel pump. Do they all hum/buzz like that?

hhmm..silver w/ red interior? sounds like a unique gem....except the humming noise! I say get it, we can fix the humming noise, but can you fix the permagrin on your face when you take a double look at that pretty baby when you park her?

p.s.-97 sounds like firethorn red interior, not torch red.....oh well!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Mad_Maxxx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by BarryBum
I test drove my first C5 yesterday. It was silver 97 with red interior and had 125k miles on it. There was a hum/buzz that sounded like it was coming from behind my left ear. I imagine that was the fuel pump. Do they all hum/buzz like that?

hhmm..silver w/ red interior? sounds like a unique gem....except the humming noise! I say get it, we can fix the humming noise, but can you fix the permagrin on your face when you take a double look at that pretty baby when you park her?

p.s.-97 sounds like firethorn red interior, not torch red.....oh well!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:51 AM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Sitting at idle, if you hear it (it's more of a high pitch whine or hum not like a growl from a wheel bearing or something... besides you can hear it while sitting still... lol)

A good check - turn on your Turn Signal, that seems to vary the pitch of the fuel pump for me... so if thats the case, odds are it's your pump and i wouldn't worry about it...

Dan
Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 AM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
No, that fuel pump hum is usually only on the early models, i.e. 1997-1999. Many people had the noisy pumps replaced under warrenty, there was a Tech Bulletin out on it. The noise is worst when it is cold outside and you first start the car. In warm weather and when the car warms up it goes away.

Uhhhhh...he said it was a 97, so I think it is the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Test drove my first C5 yesterday, whats that hum?