Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Possible Clutch or Transmission noise.. is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Scott02Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Clutch or Transmission noise.. is this normal?

Hey all,

I have searched all over this forum and have not found anything like the problem I am having with my 02' Z06. My car curently has 12,000 on the clock and I have noticed a slight noise that I do not know if it is normal or not. Now I do have a prettly large background in vehicle maintenance but, this noise kind of baffles me. So I figured that there must be some kind of genius on this board or someone with a similar problem. So here it is.....

I will be driving at a constant speed down the road (radio off) and once I let off the accelerator, I will hear what sounds like a rattleing noise from the rear end... once I press on the gas again it goes away. Also, if I depress the clutch and rev the engine some the noise will also appear. Like I stated before it sounds like a clutch rattle or something that is metalic and loose. Now I have checked the exhaust and all seems fine with that I have not been able to pin point this down though. So if anyone on here can shed a little more light on this for me I would appreciate it.

Some additional info.. this car has never been raced, or driven all that hard (although an occasional romping or street fight has occured)... Thanks again for any assistance given!

Scott
Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Cobra R
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Subject: Jingling Noise on Deceleration or Coast Down (Section and Replace Intermediate Exhaust) #04-06-05-006A - (09/21/2006)

Models: 2002-2004 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the correct part numbers for the gasket and clamp. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-05-006 (Section 06 - Engine).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on an undesirable "jingle" or "jingling" type of noise when decelerating. The noise is similar to shaking a key ring. This condition is most prominent at the mid- to high-rpm range. This noise may also be noticed when driving next to a cement wall or other barrier that will deflect sound.

Cause
This noise is coming from the "H" pipe area of the exhaust system. The center part of the "H" is formed by a crossover pipe connecting the left and right exhaust pipes. At this point, turbulence builds up in the exhaust system and may produce a jingle noise.

Correction
A service section of the exhaust has been released that incorporates a revised crossover pipe.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Scott02Z06
Instructor

Wow... that is incredible! A set of keys jingling is almost exactly the sound I hear... I haven't heard it near a wall because there are not that many around here near the road.. Thanks for the information.. I will check with my dealer tomorrow as to when I can get the car in to get fixed. Thanks again!

Scott
Old 10-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Cobra R
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

no problem
Old 11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
USAF POL
Intermediate

I just posted this morning on the same topic. Im glad im not the only one now. Here is my thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1540324

I am going to have my guy chech the X-over pipe this afternoon...hopefully we can get it.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF POL
I just posted this morning on the same topic. Im glad im not the only one now. Here is my thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1540324

I am going to have my guy chech the X-over pipe this afternoon...hopefully we can get it.

Me Too.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Clutch or Transmission noise.. is this normal?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Possible Clutch or Transmission noise.. is this normal?