Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat or sound deading how much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neither myself nor my DB meter found frost king to be effective for sound. For heat, its awesome, for sound, well, even the Frost King company denies its ability as a sound barrier.

OP can pick whatever side of the fence he wants, but one should consider how very different Frost King is than products that are sold as an acoustic barrier.

There are affordable sound barrier solutions now, edesigns has a foam that's not too expensive.

There's ensolite.

Cyber Cowboy said his kit reduces 10-12 db which is staggering. Some day illl dothat, and measure the change with RTA.

Last edited by Kale; 01-17-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sprayed this stuff in my 67 Camaro. I haven't ridden in it yet since i've laid it down, but I can tell it helps by knocking on the roof. Now it goes "thud thud thud", instead of "bong bong bong". If ya know what I mean.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by gpotski
I used two of the big boxes of Dynamat extreme to cover the rear hatch area and the front compartment.

I then added B-quiet's V-Comp as a sound deadener layer in the rear hatch area and behind the seats. It added alot of sound reduction.

http://www.bquiet.com/vcomp.html
I put in frost king and it is not worth the time to do it. I will go back with another bquiet product. I used bquite extreme in my 7.3 diesel and it is now as quiet as the lexus. I was trying to kill the engine and road noise. Now the only thing you here is the turbo whine when it is spooling up. Spend the time and money to do it right the first time and you will be happy. B-quiet extreme is much cheaper than dynomat. With equal or better results.

Correction I think I used b-quiet ultimate and not extreme. I was going to use the "brown bread" product but it was replaced by the ultimate. Links added below.

Last edited by Omega Man; 01-18-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Kale
Neither myself nor my DB meter found frost king to be effective for sound. For heat, its awesome, for sound, well, even the Frost King company denies its ability as a sound barrier.

uhh... says so right on the package. Use what you wish; but your choice then doesn't become "the best" for everyone else. Everyones goals/wants are (and are allowed to be) different than yours.

FK is one of the cheapest and lightest products that produces results. It's easy -though- to find better material; but it will cost more and weigh more. If weight and cost weren't concerns for me, I would of gone with Dynamat Xtreme myself.

And, Exotic Vette's material was passed by me first, before he started selling it. His description of the product was "Frost King" with foil on both sides.

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Bquiet extreme is much cheaper than dynomat
got a link to that product ? I'd like to check it out.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 01-17-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Frizzle86
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elemental Design's EDead

comes in liquid roll on form and in sheets of material. Link is below.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=24
Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
uhh... says so right on the package. Use what you wish; but your choice then doesn't become "the best" for everyone else. Everyones goals/wants are (and are allowed to be) different than yours.

FK is one of the cheapest and lightest products that produces results. It's easy -though- to find better material; but it will cost more and weigh more. If weight and cost weren't concerns for me, I would of gone with Dynamat Xtreme myself.

And, Exotic Vette's material was passed by me first, before he started selling it. His description of the product was "Frost King" with foil on both sides.

edead is even cheaper, I used that as my damper.

But Frost King and Dynamat are about as different in material and purpose as blinds vs a window. Ie, a window blocks wind. Blinds block the sun.

Dynamat is a damper, which is not designed to block sound. It's designed to add mass to a panel, and reduce the vibration. Any sound reduction from Dynamat is 'coincidental.' it may block some noise just by being there, but thats not what it "does"

Frost King, to lump it in with sound barriers, is in a group of foam noise insulators, which don't really reduce panel vibration, but can reduce sound waves passing through them.

So frost king is no replacement for dynamat, and dynamat is no replacement for frost king. Very different materials for different purposes.

All that said, Ensolite is a purpose build labratory tested proven sound blocker - and its cheaper than frost king
Ensolite

Of course its a foam, so its very light weight.

edit:
*what i mean by coincidental, is if you have a "noisy" panel, or a panel thats vibrating while driving and making noise, the dynamat will make that panel STFU, and give you a quieter ride. It's good for over panels that are above exhaust systems for this very reason.

Last edited by Kale; 01-17-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The best stuff out on the market is kool-mat.

reduces noise by 23db and heat.

Here is article on install.

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vet_050...all/index.html

The stuff is expensive $1,500 to do vette. Took me 3 days to empty every thing out and install and put back together.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Kale
Team Owner

[QUOTE=ajg1915;1558563942]The best stuff out on the market is kool-mat.

Good stuff.. STC of 23. Though B-quiet Vcomp has an STC of 27.

In favor of Kool-mat, we can assume it insulates heat better, and it is THINNER, at .105" vs .375", also Kool-mat is LIGHTER at 0.7 vs 1.0 for the v-comp.

So for 3x the cost, Kool-Mat is thinner, lighter, and a better heat insulator (assumed)
And for 1/3 the cost, the V-Comp is a superior sound barrier

Last edited by Kale; 01-18-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Fourtrax250R
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I used frost king, and was very very happy with the results. It def. cut down road noise.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:02 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Old 01-18-2007, 06:57 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=Kale;1558564187]
Originally Posted by ajg1915
The best stuff out on the market is kool-mat.

Good stuff.. STC of 23. Though B-quiet Vcomp has an STC of 27.

In favor of Kool-mat, we can assume it insulates heat better, and it is THINNER, at .105" vs .375", also Kool-mat is LIGHTER at 0.7 vs 1.0 for the v-comp.

So for 3x the cost, Kool-Mat is thinner, lighter, and a better heat insulator (assumed)
And for 1/3 the cost, the V-Comp is a superior sound barrier
All around kool-mat is a great product for both heat and sound reduction however it's a PITA to work with and install. You have to thoughly clean out the car and mask of some areas to spray down the glue.

Kool-mat is a silicone based product that has fiberglass woven material on one that is glued down. You'll need to wear gloves and long sleeved shirt when you install.

Pictures

Last edited by ajg1915; 01-18-2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 01-18-2007, 07:18 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I tried Frost King, Dynamat Extreme, eDead v1SE, eDead v3 (with Reflectix on the tunnel) along with a E2 Tunnel Plate on my '01 Coupe to deal with noise, panel vibration and heat.

So far, the combination eDead v1SE, eDead v3, Dynamat Extreme and E2 Tunnel Plate appears to work best for me. When I rap on any panel now, they sound rock solid - so I hope that I'm finally combated panel vibration at least.

Heat and noise I can live with - panel vibration I cannot.

EG

Frost King

Dynamat Extreme

eDead v1SE applied over eDead v3

Last edited by EG@EnglandGreen; 01-18-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Omega Man
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

Mike I looked here:

http://www.dynamat.com/store/store-car.asp dynomat is about $ 13.00 per sq foot

A 50 sq. foot roll of b-quiet extreme is around 1.70 per square foot.
http://www.bquiet.com/extreme.html

Hope this helps.

Correction I think I used b-quiet ultimate and not extreme. I was going to use the "brown bread" product but it was replaced by the ultimate.

Last edited by Omega Man; 01-18-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Mike I looked here:

http://www.dynamat.com/store/store-car.asp dynomat is about $ 13.00 per sq foot

A 50 sq. foot roll of b-quiet extreme is around 1.70 per square foot.
http://www.bquiet.com/extreme.html

Hope this helps.

Correction I think I used b-quiet ultimate and not extreme. I was going to use the "brown bread" product but it was replaced by the ultimate.
thanks; thats affordable. Do you know how much it weighs ?

Frost King worked so well for me bacause:

a. I have a stock car - which only needed slight to moderate noise reduction

b. I am performance minded with my Corvette (imagine that !! ). Added weight was a no-no. 6 rolls of FK adds only 18 lbs (minus the cardboard center tube). And that was barely acceptable with my specifics.

it's nice to know there's a winning product out there for each unique application & goal.

But, I'm always on the lookout for new offerings.

----------------------------------------

and for others, there is no controversy with the use of the Frost King; no one has ever claimed it to be "the best". No one has ever said it was as good as Dynamat.

So for someone to invent a controversy that doesn't exist - is teenage silliness. FK is a niche product. If it doesn't fit within ones particular niche, then don't use it.

I receive emails often from people wanting to use Frost King. Since I have no ego to feed, I always ask what ther mods are, what their goals are, and what their budget is. My first email reply gives no product selection. I imagine that over half the time - I don't recommend Frost King... many times because the person has either a loud aftermarket exhaust, or a high powered stereo system.

No one has made claims or comparisons about Frost King that would warrant a controversy.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 01-18-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Mike, I've just about decided to go with Ensolite, if RaAudio can provide me with STC numbers. Would you like me to send you some of the spare material so you can check it out?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

I'd love to see some of it. I'll email you my address.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Omega Man
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Kale
Mike, I've just about decided to go with Ensolite, if RaAudio can provide me with STC numbers. Would you like me to send you some of the spare material so you can check it out?
I think that the ultimate and the RaAudio stuff is the same thing. The weights and thickness are the same. I think that they just cut them to different widths.

FWIF, the frost king did cut down on the road noise in my stock 04 coupe. I am disappointed because I was attempting to get the same results with the frost king that I had with the b-quiet. I think that it was impossible to expect the same results. I will let ev11 know how mine is after I replace the FK with the b-quiet. I plan to measure the noise with FK, after the FK is pulled and after the b-quiet is installed. This of course requires me to put the car back together an extra time. Oh well.

Get notified of new replies

To Dynamat or sound deading how much?

Old 01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Kale
Team Owner

ensolite is foam, not damping material.

there is a GREAT article by RAA's founder, about how you dont need to do your entire car, JUST problem areas.

I have discovered a few on the c5.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

i know this is an old thread but it seems to have a lot of knowledgeable people...

I was looking at dynamat, but clearly it's overpriced.. and not exactly the best.

It seems bquiet is a better option? It's a bit confusing the overflow of information here. What about this ensolite stuff?

I want to reduce noise inside as much as possible... of course I am not a fan of adding weight so I want to know what exactly I should be looking at.

I'm more concerned with road noise, vibrations, etc... than heat insulation lol. AC and heating work in the car just fine for me

It's been ten years since this thread I am sure technology has advanced and prices have dropped lol... someone chime in?

Last edited by a_ahmed; 07-25-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
i know this is an old thread but it seems to have a lot of knowledgeable people...

I was looking at dynamat, but clearly it's overpriced.. and not exactly the best.

It seems bquiet is a better option? It's a bit confusing the overflow of information here. What about this ensolite stuff?

I want to reduce noise inside as much as possible... of course I am not a fan of adding weight so I want to know what exactly I should be looking at.

I'm more concerned with road noise, vibrations, etc... than heat insulation lol. AC and heating work in the car just fine for me

It's been ten years since this thread I am sure technology has advanced and prices have dropped lol... someone chime in?
Buy "Peel and Seal Aluminum" from Lowes...it's what everyone uses as generic Dynamat, much cheaper.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-I...ashing/1018733

Read the reviews there.
The following users liked this post:
02BlownZ06 (07-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Dynamat or sound deading how much?