Run-flats vs. non-runflats ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:37 AM
99Lingenfelter
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Run-flats vs. non-runflats ???

I just bought a new set of rims and now I need some new rubber to go on them. How much benifit would I see by switching to non-runflats, or would it be the other way around. Just seems like a lot of guys are choosing non-runflats.

If they were the same price, would you choose RFT or non-RFT?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 AM
Blown 346
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Lingenfelter
I just bought a new set of rims and now I need some new rubber to go on them. How much benifit would I see by switching to non-runflats, or would it be the other way around. Just seems like a lot of guys are choosing non-runflats.

If they were the same price, would you choose RFT or non-RFT?
I would choose to go with non run flats, they are louder than a normal tire, and the compound is different. Most of the people that I know get rid of the run flats immediatly.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Generally with the non-runflats, you see a better ride, better handling and less road noise. Just be prepared if you have a flat and you'll be OK.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
maxfli's5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I MAY HAVE A FLAT TODAY! but when i was going thru this i thought about how many flats i had and how long i have been driving , and the odds aint that bad . gotta go with the non run flats !
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfli's5
I MAY HAVE A FLAT TODAY! but when i was going thru this i thought about how many flats i had and how long i have been driving , and the odds aint that bad . gotta go with the non run flats !
smart choice
Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Blue260
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you travel and take road trips, you can't beat the security and piece of mind with run flats. I think the biggest gripe (for the most part) why forum members choose a non run flat is simply price.
Last month I came to the same choice whether or not to buy OEM Goodyear run flats. Since I didn't want to carry a jack, portable air inflator, and tire seal, I went back to the GYRF at a cost of $1620.00 (mounted and balanced) from my dealer.
As one forum member stated, and I also agree, is the odds of getting a flat. In the 13 years of owning my C4 I was never stranded by a flat. I had alot of slow leaks from nail punctures, however, I always made it home.
In the 3 years of owning my C5 I had one flat that could not be repaired - but I made it home.
Bottom line, do what your checkbook and piece of mind can afford!
chris
Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 AM
dwilcox
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Blue260
If you travel and take road trips, you can't beat the security and piece of mind with run flats. I think the biggest gripe (for the most part) why forum members choose a non run flat is simply price.
Last month I came to the same choice whether or not to buy OEM Goodyear run flats. Since I didn't want to carry a jack, portable air inflator, and tire seal, I went back to the GYRF at a cost of $1620.00 (mounted and balanced) from my dealer.
As one forum member stated, and I also agree, is the odds of getting a flat. In the 13 years of owning my C4 I was never stranded by a flat. I had alot of slow leaks from nail punctures, however, I always made it home.
In the 3 years of owning my C5 I had one flat that could not be repaired - but I made it home.
Bottom line, do what your checkbook and piece of mind can afford!
chris
I agree 100% with these comments - Some additional items to consider would be: your age and health - any other dirvers that you would stress over if they were stranded with a flat - long trips, lots of one day road trips, or just normal around town driving? I have 3 mounted sets for my 2 vettes, one set is the standard runflat Goodyears, run flat Michelins, and one set Goodyear non runflats - I like the ride of all three even though they are all 3 different. If I could only have one choice I would have to go with the Goodyear EMT Runflats - even though most here would disagree. I like to plan for the worse and hope for the best. On a trip to Iowa last year I went through a construction zone and picked up two large punctures in BOTH rear wheels. Without the runflats I would have been stranded. A portable compressor would have not been able to keep up with the one tire. Piece of Mind - Priceless. My .02 anyway....
Old 02-06-2007, 08:58 AM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This topic shows up weekly. Some like the security, some don't value it as much.

The difference in ride, noise, weight, and handling is very noticibly better in the non-runflat tires. That and the price...

The only thing the EMTs do better is run without air. I'm on my second set of non-runflats. The original Goodyear EMTs were soooo loud.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Blue260
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess my second purchase of GYRF got me the quite ones!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:51 PM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Pretty much a decision you will have to make on your own.

I just ordered new CCW's and decided that I wanted new run flats to go with the wheels. I just do not want to deal with having my Vette on the side of the road for any kind of flat.

Just remember that EMT's can still "blow out", as a buddy of mine keeps reminding me... but that type of failure is VERY unlikely (although possible as other guys on here will attest to).

Good luck with your decision!

Chuck
Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
99Lingenfelter
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

My last set of RFT's were Firestone Firehawk SZ EP50's. I thought they were great tires, but after everyone talking about nonRFT's, I thought I might go that way. I already have another set of the Firestones sitting in the garage with 75% tread left, and I also have a set of nonRFT's. Just wondering which ones to sell and which ones to keep. So as I said before, the price is not a factor.

Piece of mind is nice, but I've had one flat in 8 years, and I made it to a shop. Just wondering if the the nonRFT's handling, ride, weight, etc. is worth making the switch. Seems like performance wise they might be a step up.

I guess in short, is the performance of the nonRFT's that much better? If so, I don't mine not having RFT's. My tires need to perform everyday, but they don't need to run flat every day.

Last edited by 99Lingenfelter; 02-06-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM
D_BlueVette
Burning Brakes

I went with non-runflats, and the car rides so much smoother. I don't regret it at all, but i havent had any flats either. Crossing fingers.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Lots of good food for thought for your consideration here. Seeing as you live out west in the Boise area, I will just add this anecdote. In '05 my wife and I did the Black Hills Corvette Classic. One day we went to Devil's Tower in Wyoming, and took some even more off-the-beaten-path roads coming back to Spearfish. While stopped at one point to admire the beautiful vistas, the thought crossed my mind that I hadn't seen a cell phone tower in ??? how long, there wasn't a home on that particular stretch of road that I could see, nor had another vehicle gone by in the last twenty minutes or so. Did I have any automotive problems on the trip? No. Would the trip have been spoiled for me if I did? I honestly don't know. You need to acknowledge how well you will take in stride the occasional bad occurrence, what your priorities are, and decide based on all that. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:28 AM
KeyoRacing
Burning Brakes

i just picked up my 99 today and it has runflats on it ...mind you they will need to be replaced soon but they are the worse tire I have ever had on a car. I don't know what I will replace them with but my GOD they are awful. Almost took the fun out of the day.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

On my third set of OEM Runflats with 102,000 miles. I don't mind the noise and the ride is so much better than my 1964 VERT. It is a Sports car, not a luxury car!

Runflats actually handle better and get 3 miles per gallon better mileage, a magizine proved it when compared to Goodyear GS-D3s (a great tire). Non-runflats hook up better and ride better, and cost less.

I had a friend seriously hurt (hit by another car) while fixing a flat, it is dangerous. A C5 is low to start with, I'm not crawling under there at the side of a road trying to plug a flat. Guess it is what your life's worth to you?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't have much going on tonight and have been around the forum long enough to use this..... bye...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Turbodude
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by chuck1026
Pretty much a decision you will have to make on your own.

I just ordered new CCW's and decided that I wanted new run flats to go with the wheels. I just do not want to deal with having my Vette on the side of the road for any kind of flat.

Just remember that EMT's can still "blow out", as a buddy of mine keeps reminding me... but that type of failure is VERY unlikely (although possible as other guys on here will attest to).

Good luck with your decision!

Chuck
Last night when I got home from work I had about 10 psi in my front left tire (run flats with only 7k miles on them...2006 C6). This morning it was flat. I was running late for jury duty so drove on it straight to the courthouse, only 2 miles away. Afterwards drove straight to the tire shop...5 miles total driving on it. They told me it was unrepairable due to a jagged cut in the sidewall. The cut was so bad it could not have been responsible for the slowish leak I had last night. My conclusion is that the 5 miles I drove on the flat today caused the sidewall damage. So much for the claim that run flats provided something like 50 miles at 55 mph.

I now have a regular "loaner" tire in it's place and need to decide whether or not to replace it with a run-flat within the next couple of days. The tire guy told me run flats were krap. No reason for him to tell me this since he makes more selling run flats. He said the nearest run flat he could find was in Delaware...I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. He wouldn't have the new run flat for 1-2 weeks.

While I like the "concept" of run flats, I'm disgusted with their performance when flat. If they're not going to be repairable, and not widely carried in stock, what good is it to be stuck in Podunk, Nevada with an unrepairable run-flat tire?

Has anyone here had any experience with flat run-flat tire and what kind of miles did you drive on it after getting the flat? Was it repairable after you reached the tire repair shop?

Perhaps I'm wrong in believing the tire should be repairable after running flat.

Get notified of new replies

To Run-flats vs. non-runflats ???

Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 PM
99Lingenfelter
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I woke up one morning and had a flat on one of my runflats also. I drove strait to the tire shop to get it looked at, just a couple miles away. The tire shop said that just that short distance of driving it flat totally ruined the tire. They said it didnt' matter much anyway as runflats are not supposed to be repaired.

I have a new set of runflats I ordered, and I'm going to stick them in the garage for a while. I also ordered a new set of non-runflats, and I'm going to give them a try. When they need replaced, I'll know first hand if I want to put the runflats back on, or stay with the non-runflats.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been concerned of late with getting stranded in my Vette. I thought long and hard about this and have decided to improve my chances.
I now carry a spare can of gas because on occasion my fuel gauge goes to empty and I'm not sure how much gas I have ( I also am afraid of running low and ruining my fuel pump by running so low on fuel).
I'm going to carry a spare Battery and belt for the Alternator.. hmmm might get a spare Alternator as well. I am lucky I have a 6speed or I would have to carry a spare Starter. I guess I better add Jumper Cables too, you never know!
Since I have been using K&N Oil Filters with the nut on the end which might get caught on some road obstruction I better get a spare Oil Filter and wrench, I'll need a six pack of oil as well, make that seven pack. Then there is the leaky differential seals, better get some Rear Axle lube, wrench. How will I get under Ok aluminum low profile jack... Sears makes a nice one wait a minute I have heard that the seals leak, so I'll need a bottle of Hydraulic Fluid.
Good thing I have my OEM Runflats!...Oh No. There is that problem of going over 200 miles if they go flat!
Barrier Tongue well in Cheek
Old 02-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Spiralgrey03
Instructor

Hey fellow Boise-ite I just put on some CCW's with Potenzas and have an extra set of chormie thin spokes with PS2's in the garage. Before I sell them, PM me and we can slap them on and you can take them for a spin. No better way to make the choice.

Quick Reply: Run-flats vs. non-runflats ???